Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Murphy

Alex Murphy

Is there an updated status on Alex Murphy for Maui? Do we expect him to get minutes? He could be a great piece in the lineup if healthy...

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    Is there an updated status on Alex Murphy for Maui? Do we expect him to get minutes? He could be a great piece in the lineup if healthy...
    Today's game will be telling. He's now had (I believe) a week to practice with the team again. Also, with three games in three days, it seems more likely that we'd go a bit deeper than usual in at least one of these games. And Tennessee (which will likely be the worst team we play) would seem the best game for more depth to appear.

Alex

He did not appear to be even close to going into today's (Tenn) game. However, later at the resort pool he did take a 30 foot shot at the basket mounted in the pool and missed, but Marshall dunked the rebound. Is that helpful??

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by westwall View Post
    He did not appear to be even close to going into today's (Tenn) game. However, later at the resort pool he did take a 30 foot shot at the basket mounted in the pool and missed, but Marshall dunked the rebound. Is that helpful??
    So does that mean we'll see Marshall soon?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Has it been definitively established that Alex's playing in the exhibition games will prevent him from redshirting this year? I know this has been mentioned on this board before, but it would be nice to have a 'recruiting class' of Rasheed + Marshall and Alex each with a year of Duke experience under their belts. Add in TP and that's a great Class of 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by wk2109 View Post
    Has it been definitively established that Alex's playing in the exhibition games will prevent him from redshirting this year? I know this has been mentioned on this board before, but it would be nice to have a 'recruiting class' of Rasheed + Marshall and Alex each with a year of Duke experience under their belts. Add in TP and that's a great Class of 2016.
    I don't think it would but there would likely be an NCAA punishment. Tim Abromaitis just had the same problem at ND. He played in Exhibition games and then redshirted his freshman year, and got suspended for the first four games this year (his senior year) because of it. It was only after he tried to play his fifth year that anyone noticed it, though, so that could affect how the rule is interpreted for Duke.
    Pratt '09
    GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    I don't think it would but there would likely be an NCAA punishment. Tim Abromaitis just had the same problem at ND. He played in Exhibition games and then redshirted his freshman year, and got suspended for the first four games this year (his senior year) because of it. It was only after he tried to play his fifth year that anyone noticed it, though, so that could affect how the rule is interpreted for Duke.
    Actually, the Abromaitis situation is a bit different. He played his ENTIRE freshman year. Then, his sophomore year he played in exhibition games and redshirted it. He played two more complete seasons. Then, his fifth year he was suspended for the first four games. In Alex's case, this is his freshman year, which makes a big difference according to Mike DeCourcy of the SportingNews:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...lay-in-2011-12

The NCAA allows freshmen to play exhibition games and then spend the rest of the year as a redshirt—but not sophomores, juniors or seniors. The Notre Dame coaches misunderstood the rule and didn’t learn of their mistake until well into Abromaitis’ redshirt season.
    I still haven't found this applicable clause in the NCAA rule book, though, but that article is from last month.

I thought Abromaitis was suspended because he was a sophomore when he played in the exhibition games. This is a quote from the ESPN article about the suspension:

As a sophomore in 2008-09, Abromaitis played in two exhibition games. He then sat the rest of the exhibition season so Notre Dame could preserve his full year of eligibility, a little loophole coaches happily use for redshirt freshmen frequently. Unfortunately, the NCAA doesn't allow you to pull that move with sophomores, something Notre Dame coach Mike Brey admitted to flat-out flubbing.
    I'm not sure how I feel about trusting ESPN as an authority on NCAA redshirting rules though.

Here we go (from MSU's compliance office):

Preseason Exhibitions/Preseason Practice Scrimmages During Initial Year: During a
    student-athlete's initial year of enrollment at the certifying institution, he or she may
    compete in preseason exhibition contests and preseason practice scrimmages (as
    permitted in the particular sport per Bylaw 17) without counting such competition as
    a season of competition. [14.2.3.1, 14.2.3.1.2, 14.2.3.1.3]
    http://www.msu.edu/user/msuncaa/Medi...%20Waivers.pdf

NCAA bylaw 14.2.3.1.3 seems to the be the applicable one here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Actually, the Abromaitis situation is a bit different. He played his ENTIRE freshman year. Then, his sophomore year he played in exhibition games and redshirted it. He played two more complete seasons. Then, his fifth year he was suspended for the first four games. In Alex's case, this is his freshman year, which makes a big difference according to Mike DeCourcy of the SportingNews:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...lay-in-2011-12

I still haven't found this applicable clause in the NCAA rule book, though, but that article is from last month.
    To paraphrase a memorable movie line: Rules? We don't need no stinkin' rules!

Remember this is the NCAA we are talking about. They make it up as they go along!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Here we go (from MSU's compliance office):

http://www.msu.edu/user/msuncaa/Medi...%20Waivers.pdf

NCAA bylaw 14.2.3.1.3 seems to the be the applicable one here.
    Awesome thanks. Perhaps the coaching staff is keeping both Marshall AND Alex in its back pocket in case Duke doesn't get any more 2012 commitments.

Quote Originally Posted by wk2109 View Post
    Awesome thanks. Perhaps the coaching staff is keeping both Marshall AND Alex in its back pocket in case Duke doesn't get any more 2012 commitments.
    I don't really think that they are related that much. I don't think that Duke will end up recruiting anyone besides Bazz and TP in 2012 anyway. Redshirting theoretically only adds a guy for their senior year. Bazz definitely is a 2 year guy at most and TP is likely a multiyear guy, but there is no guarantee that he would stay four years either. Missing on the 2012 recruits would have the biggest impact on Duke's roster for the next two years, and both Alex and Marshall will be there anyway. Redshirting is really more about player development rather than having enough bodies on the roster.
    Pratt '09
    GO DUKE!

Redshirting is really more about player development rather than having enough bodies on the roster.
    In this case, at least. A lot of the time, though, the roster plays a large role. Otherwise, I completely agree.

I really hope we don't redshirt him. First of all, I think we could use him this year - he attacks the basket better than anyone on our team not named Austin Rivers, gives great length at the 3 without being an offensive liability, and is quick. Second, I think it's extremely unlikely he hangs around for a fifth-year; heck, I'll be thrilled if we get four out of him. So, there's not much to gain.

Are we sure that he is completely healthy?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    Wow, where have you been? Glad to see you're still around.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I really hope we don't redshirt him. First of all, I think we could use him this year - he attacks the basket better than anyone on our team not named Austin Rivers, gives great length at the 3 without being an offensive liability, and is quick. Second, I think it's extremely unlikely he hangs around for a fifth-year; heck, I'll be thrilled if we get four out of him. So, there's not much to gain.
    I know it's early, but I can't see Alex making much of an impact this year, especially not offensively. I think Duke is counting on its scoring to come from Seth, Austin, Andre, Mason, Ryan, and, to a lesser extent, Miles.

I think right now the game is a little too fast for Alex. He's still at the point (when he was actually playing) where I'm pleasantly surprised when he makes a good play. If he or Mike is gonna break into the rotation, I think it'll be for reasons similar to Elliot Williams' insertion into the starting lineup -- more for defensive purposes because their body types, length, and athletic abilities allow them to guard players that no one else in the rotation can guard.

Welcome back

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    I'm certainly not sure. The word was that he was cleared to practice last Monday, so you'd think he's healthy, but Duke hasn't had a lot of practice time during that period, what with 3 games and a long airplane ride, so he probably isn't back into the flow yet.

The only way we'd really want to redshirt him is if he's injured all season, in which case he'll qualify for a medical redshirt.

If the staff had been of the opinion that he wasn't needed or useful on this year's team, he wouldn't have been here a year early.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    The only way we'd really want to redshirt him is if he's injured all season, in which case he'll qualify for a medical redshirt.

If the staff had been of the opinion that he wasn't needed or useful on this year's team, he wouldn't have been here a year early.
    So you don't think a redshirt year at Duke will be better for his development than another year in high school? A year of practicing with Duke v playing in HS....
    I remember hearing about him redshirting as a possibility over the summer.