Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    To follow on this, the questions would seem to be:

1. Would Cook (or Thornton) at PG dramatically reduce the turnover rate? Given that Thornton's rate is higher than that of Curry, I doubt he'd make things better in the turnover department. Cook's turnover rate has been lower, but that's also in part because he hasn't handled much of the playmaking duties in his limited minutes. So it's unclear whether he'd improve the turnover rate over Curry. Maybe it would cut down on some of the Plumlee turnovers if they got touches in better spots, but I haven't seen much to suggest that Cook (or Thornton) is better at setting the Plumlees up than Curry.

2. Would Cook (or Thornton) at PG dramatically increase the assist rate? Again, I don't think Thornton would do so based on his low assist totals. Because Cook has not played much PG for us this year, it's just hard to say whether he'd make a difference yet.

3. Would an increase in assists lead to a dramatically higher FG%? Despite the lack of assists, we're shooting at a very high percentage on FGA. I guess it's that we could get more easy buckets and fewer foul shots (meaning fewer missed points) for the Plumlees with a better draw-and-dish option. But I doubt we'd see Curry, Dawkins, or Kelly become any more efficient than they have been so far. And Rivers has done most of his scoring as the primary creator, so I doubt a "true PG" would affect his efficiency a lot anyway.
    I agree with just about everything you have said here, but would add that there is another side of the court where the team spends 50% of the time and at this point I think Curry is a better defensive player than Cook.
    Last edited by NSDukeFan; 11-22-2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: terrible sentence that is at least a bit better now

Al Featherston weighs in:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=42865

I first heard the term point guard used in the late 1960s, when Dean Smith began to win and draw attention to his system at North Carolina. I guess in hindsight, Larry Brown was a prototype point guard, but what I remember most is a photograph of Smith’s 1965-66 freshman team. The five starters are not wearing their usual numbers in the picture. Instead, they are numbered 1 (Dick Grubar), 2 (Gerald Tuttle), 3 (Joe Brown), 4 (Bill Bunting), 5 (Rusty Clark) to illustrate the numbering system that Smith invented.

Does that make Dick Grubar the first point guard?
    Another very good article from Mr. Featherston. I recommend everyone take the time to give it a read.
    Bob Green

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

Another very good article from Mr. Featherston. I recommend everyone take the time to give it a read.
    I concur. I especially liked his points about defense. He points out that in 2010 Scheyer was the point guard on offense, but not on defense, and that this year none of our starters have yet shown a skill in pressuring the ball. Nolan's pressure on Marshall in the ACC title game last year was the key to Duke's success, and I think to beat UNC this year you need to take Marshall out of the offense. The question is whether Duke can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

Enjoyed Al's read on our PG situation. Particularly the part about Scheyer being 4/5 of a "true" PG.

Just one nit to pick at the very end: "Gerrymander" should be "Jerry-rig". Totally different concepts, might have been a spell checker created error.
    The Gordog

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post
    Enjoyed Al's read on our PG situation. Particularly the part about Scheyer being 4/5 of a "true" PG.

Just one nit to pick at the very end: "Gerrymander" should be "Jerry-rig". Totally different concepts, might have been a spell checker created error.
    Um... "Jury rig" ("Jerry" goes in "Jerry-built".)

Not to nit-pick, or anything...

-jk

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Um... "Jury rig" ("Jerry" goes in "Jerry-built".)

Not to nit-pick, or anything...

-jk
    I thought it was "nitpick" (no hyphen).

Piling On

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I thought it was "nitpick" (no hyphen).
    The use and disuse of the hyphen in the word nitpick has long been the subject of scholarly debate. For preliminary readings on the topic, I would begin with either Thompson (1962) or any of various essays by Langford (1960; 1963; 1964a; 1964b). Or, for a decent conspectus of more contemporary viewpoints, see T.P. Arnold (2007).

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    The use and disuse of the hyphen in the word nitpick has long been the subject of scholarly debate. For preliminary readings on the topic, I would begin with either Thompson (1962) or any of various essays by Langford (1960; 1963; 1964a; 1964b). Or, for a decent conspectus of more contemporary viewpoints, see T.P. Arnold (2007).
    I blame Gutenberg

I started to disagree with the original post

but then I remembered a play from last night (Michigan). Thornton was bringing the ball up, Rivers was ahead on the break and he was calling for the ball on the right side. Thornton looked him off and cut towards the middle of the court drawing the defense towards him. He found Seth on the left side trailing the break for a three. Curry can sometimes make these plays, but Rivers hasn't shown an ability to create for his teammates, only for himself. I think mixing in Thornton and Cook could help us at times. Currently, Duke ranks 207th in assists per game with 12.3. Having someone in to distribute the ball might be a nice contrast to all the one on one from Rivers.

I think there was a stretch in the first half in the Michigan game where I thought we were having trouble running our offense. I'm not sure who we had in the game, but I think that maybe Cook would have been a good choice to insert there to help create shots for others. He can get in the lane like Rivers instead of someone like Dawkins who stands out by the three point line waiting for a pass. I do agree that Dawkins, Curry and Rivers deserve the most minutes, but Curry and Rivers are logging quite a bit right now. They can't keep that up all year long or else the talk will start about K's rotation.