State comes back from 18 down in the 2nd half to beat Texas

Don't look now, kids, but NC State may not be waiting for their talent surge next year to make some noise. After 2 easy wins against cupcakes, State had a close win against a well-coached Princeton team without CJ Leslie in the lineup and with Wood getting injured early in the game. Then they follow that up with a close, hard fought loss to Vanderbilt with Leslie back but Wood still out. Finally they get Wood back and De Thuey eligible, look awful for nearly 30 minutes against Texas, get down by 18 with 11:50 left, and put on a tear to come back and win by 3.

This team looks different under Gottfried. Like they actually believe they can win or something...

Edit: State's early season improvement may be worth its own thread, but if the mods so desire please feel free to merge into the This Week in the ACC thread!

I am for one, glad that State is winning. The ACC benefits and is better when State is good. I hope they keep it up except when they play Duke of course. Nice to see and lets hope they keep it up and Gottfried does things the right way. Not a great start to have a couple players suspended due to taking impermisable benefits, then again he just started so it may have occcured under Lowe administration (haven't read that much into the case). That said I hope for the sake of the program they keep their nose clean and win some games in the process.

Apparently the CJ Leslie issue was simply Leslie taking about $400 to get his car fixed. It was voluntarily reported by State and his 3 game suspension and agreement to repay the $$$ is supposedly the end of the issue. De Thuey was not an impermissible benefits issue - he is a foreign import from Belgium and there was some delay getting his eligibility through the NCAA clearing house. The NCAA has ruled him elible.

Dumb decision by Leslie, but so far it's a minor infraction isolated to one player and nothing more to see here. I wouldn't consider it any particular stain on Gottfried's record. It was, fwiw, entirely post-Lowe.

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    I am for one, glad that State is winning. The ACC benefits and is better when State is good. I hope they keep it up except when they play Duke of course. Nice to see and lets hope they keep it up and Gottfried does things the right way. Not a great start to have a couple players suspended due to taking impermisable benefits, then again he just started so it may have occcured under Lowe administration (haven't read that much into the case). That said I hope for the sake of the program they keep their nose clean and win some games in the process.
    The Leslie suspension was based on an incident from May but had nothing to do with Gottfried. The other suspension was related to amateur status of a kid who played in a foreign league and had nothing to do with NC State (this is not uncommon with foreign recruits). Neither says anything about the cleanliness of Gottfried's program.

I would like to see State crawl back to real relevance. It ain't The Triangle without three teams fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The Leslie suspension was based on an incident from May but had nothing to do with Gottfried. The other suspension was related to amateur status of a kid who played in a foreign league and had nothing to do with NC State (this is not uncommon with foreign recruits). Neither says anything about the cleanliness of Gottfried's program.
    Wasn't suggesting Gottfried was running anything but a clean program, and I admittedly hadn't followed the situation with Leslie very closely so I'm glad it was a minor issue easily resoloved with the suspension. Like I said. I'd like to see State be relevant again in the ACC. I think Gottfried was a good hire, but the man is going to be under a lot of pressure. Hope he is ready for it.

Hey, Rick!

Just like Clemson: clap, clap, clap/clap/clap??

Reminder: State does this EVERY November.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Hey, Rick!

Just like Clemson: clap, clap, clap/clap/clap??
    LOL.

ACC pwnage.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    I'm guessing that's hyperbole on your end, but State did not beat a single team from a respectable conference last November/December (George Mason was their only decent win).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I would like to see State crawl back to real relevance. It ain't The Triangle without three teams fighting.
    I agree with the general sentiment. Its more fun when THEY think they have a chance and can beat the snot out of each other... but I'd just rather they fold like Deck chairs on the Titanic when they play Duke...

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    I agree with the general sentiment. Its more fun when THEY think they have a chance and can beat the snot out of each other... but I'd just rather they fold like Deck chairs on the Titanic when they play Duke...
    let's just be careful about who attends that game in person...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Not really true...State rarely has quality early season wins.

Also, you definitely haven't watched these games.

This is a VERY different NC State. They are truly up-tempo, fast breaking when possible. They play good defense except for guarding the 3-point line. They inbound and get into the offense with little or no turnovers. They play a high scoring, exciting offense and hustle.

All of these things are new, and many more specifics that I could cite. If you've seen this team play, you know what I'm talking about. This is a well coached, hard working team and they will be a dangerous play this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Slackerb View Post
    Not really true...State rarely has quality early season wins.

Also, you definitely haven't watched these games.

This is a VERY different NC State. They are truly up-tempo, fast breaking when possible. They play good defense except for guarding the 3-point line. They inbound and get into the offense with little or no turnovers. They play a high scoring, exciting offense and hustle.

All of these things are new, and many more specifics that I could cite. If you've seen this team play, you know what I'm talking about. This is a well coached, hard working team and they will be a dangerous play this year.
    And I will be ecstatic if they will not roll over and play dead against the sheep this year.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    And I will be ecstatic if they will not roll over and play dead against the sheep this year.
    Believe me, the line starts here.

My perspective on this goes back to the Les Robinson era. I'll withold judgement until they make the turn in the conference schedule somewhere around .500.

My perspective on this goes back to the Les Robinson era. I'll withold judgement until they make the turn in the conference schedule somewhere around .500.
    I'll get in that line! Drives me crazy the way NCSU plays us tough (I was at the game 2 years ago when they beat us and rushed the floor) and then lays down for UNC@CH.

.500 in conference is all but guaranteed this season. I'm thinking somewhere between 9-11 ACC wins. Call me crazy, but this team and more importantly THIS schedule can do it.

We play MD,GT, Wake and BC as our first four games and then play Wake, GT and BC again in the first 10. A 7-3 opening record should be expected.

7 ACC wins should be the floor for this team.

On the top end, we play Duke, UNC (x2) and FSU. That's 5 losses bringing us to 12 games.

We have Miami (x2), UVa, Clemson and VT as the remaining 5 games. Going 1-4 gets us to .500, going 3-2 gets us to 10-6. This team will have had experience with a tough OCC (Vandy, TX, Indiana, Syracuse, St. Bonnie, Stanford) that will actually prepare us for playing decent teams. Heck, four of the five teams we've played so far won an NCAA game last season and all of them went. Even though they aren't the same (especially Morehead St) it's still a huge upgrade from our usual fattening fare.

I could pee in my pants I'm so ready for this season! When was the last time a State team was in an adverse position and had an opponent make a mistake and we went in for the kill? For the past 20 years we've always been the mentally fragile team getting victimized.

Just my $.02 from a long time lurker

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    .Duke, UNC (x2) and FSU. That's 5 losses bringing us to 12 games.

We have Miami (x2), UVa, Clemson and VT as the remaining 5 games. Going 1-4 gets us to .500, going 3-2 gets us to 10-6. This team will have had experience with a tough OCC (Vandy, TX, Indiana, Syracuse, St. Bonnie, Stanford) that will actually prepare us for playing decent teams. Heck, four of the five teams we've played so far won an NCAA game last season and all of them went. Even though they aren't the same (especially Morehead St) it's still a huge upgrade from our usual fattening fare.
    Just to clarify one aspect of your math, your assumed losses against the top 3 teams in the ACC adds up to 4 losses, getting you to your assumed 7 wins against the bottom dwellers vs 4 losses (11 games) with the 5 games against the middle tier to be decided. I tend to agree with your general assessment although obviously "sure" wins and losses are anything but. From what I've seen State should stand above the doormat ACC teams (Wake, GT, BC, and Maryland), is a step below the top 3 of Duke, UNC, and FSU, and should compete against the middle tier of Clemson, UVa, Miami, and Va Tech. As long as State can beat the teams they really should beat and compete evenly against the middle tier, they can look forward to a winning ACC record!

But Rick Barnes usually waits until March on his end...

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Just to clarify one aspect of your math, your assumed losses against the top 3 teams in the ACC adds up to 4 losses!
    LOL! Dang you Duke fans and your fancy counting!