Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

903!! MBB: Duke 74, Michigan State 69 Post Game Thread

Didn't see a thread. Discuss.
    Last edited by Newton_14; 11-15-2011 at 09:53 PM.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

903!! MBB: Duke 74 Mich St 69 Post Game Thread

Congrats to Coach K, the new ALL TIME leader in wins in NCAA History! Well done!

Discuss here. The end was not pretty but I can cut the kids some slack facing the pressure of the moment. They wanted it badly for their Coach.

Last 7 minutes was very sloppy and that's being kind. I hope these guys learn how to go for the jugular. Hope they also get serious about getting the ball in to the post. Tonight it seemed to be an afterthought. 7 shots total for the bigs. 7. Their interior defense has improved quite a bit though. Kelly should start. I think he sparked the team in the second half after Dawkins carried them in the first

it's gonna be a great season !!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Didn't see a thread. Discuss.
    Sorry CDu, we were typing at the same time. I merged my thread into yours. I am going to tweak your title to add 903 if you don' mind.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    Hey, moonpie23, nice flip-flop - next thing you know you will be running for political office.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Hey, moonpie23, nice flip-flop - next thing you know you will be running for political office.
    that's not public knowledge yet, bob...please don't tell anyone...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

we won! despite ineffective offense from the MPs and a totally ineffective game from Rivers. Cuz Dawkins was AWESOME, Curry was too (plus 5 steals) and Ryan Kelly didn't miss a shot (shades of last year?).
    Congrats to Coach K for the all-time victories title!

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    That's more like it.

Congrats to coach K on a great achievement. Congrats to this team for winning their second big ball game of this young season.

Grats Coach

Interesting Austin didn't play much, though he did have a bit of foul trouble, and wasn't playing very well, whereas all of the other guys really were.

Seth has really improved, I see he has stolen one of Austin's classic stutter step drive-by moves, and he does it under control, which is one thing Austin is having some trouble with. But he'll get it.

Happy day, grats to coach and the team(s), and to Duke, and the sixth men from the last 30 years (that's us).

Great games by Dawkins and Curry. Ball-handing at end of games needs work, as we saw in the Belmont game too. Interior defense was outstanding. Nice job by the players staying focused with all the hoopla surrounding win 903.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    it sounds like Nolan needs to school Austin and Seth on the tear drop floater.
    Yes, yes he does.

Hopefully, this issue of blowing huge leads late in the 2nd half can be cured.

Andre was HUGE in the 1st half and I thought Kelly really played well and IMHO should be getting serious consideration for cracking the starting lineup and moving one Plumlee to the bench.

Couldn't be prouder of our university, our program, or our coach. What a great night!

Great game, but what bugged me was that Dawkins was on fire and they stopped getting him shots in the 2nd half. Not coincidentally, that's when MSU started to claw their way back into the game. Lots of poor decisions and forced shots, just like in the Belmont game. Will come back to haunt them if they don't fix it soon.

Curry
    Rivers
    Dawk
    Kelly
    Mason

Should be our starting line-up from now on. Miles is still having some serious trouble on both ends.

Also, if anyone was ever wondering where coach's love for "stall-ball" came from... look no further than the man Coach just passed on the all-time wins list.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Andre was HUGE in the 1st half...
    Dawkins scored 12 points in the 2nd half so I have to modify your statement and say, "Andre was HUGE throughout the game!"
    Bob Green

My thoughts

Congrats to Coach K and the team for reaching the milestone. Hopefully there'll be 30+ more this year.

As for the game itself, thank goodness we hit our 3s, and thank goodness MSU couldn't finish around the basket. During the first 25 minutes, MSU repeatedly got the ball in REALLY good position and didn't finish. Meanwhile, our offense looked terrible during that stretch. Thankfully, Dawkins refused to miss. We could easily have been down 10-15 at the half, but went in with a lead. This continued early in the second half, when MSU kept getting it to their bigs within spitting distance of the rim and they kept missing. From 41-40 early in the second half, they missed about 4-5 easy layups and we hit a few threes.

The good:
    - Andre Dawkins was on tonight. He hit threes. He made some driving shots. He looked really good. I hope we see this more.
    - Team toughness. MSU brought the physical play. But we matched them. They didn't kill us on the glass on either end. Limiting second chance opportunities was a big key.
    - Kelly's shooting. He didn't miss all night. I'll take that.
    - Curry's shooting. He hit 10 free throws and 2 big 3s.
    - Forcing turnovers. We forced 20 turnovers. That's good.
    - Defense on Green. The Plumlees and Kelly took turns on Green (mostly the Plumlees), and they held him to a terrible field goal percentage and a bunch of turnovers. They got backside help from Curry and Thornton as well. Something about cutting off the head of the snake...

The not-so-good:
    - We still allowed too many easy layup chances. MSU backed our bigs down and got point-blank opportunities... and missed repeatedly.
    - Offensive flow. The ridiculous 3pt shooting will mask that we looked really choppy on offense for the first 30ish minutes. We started to get some flow later in the game as we pushed the lead out to 18 or so. But for large stretches we looked plodding and methodical. Again, thank goodness Dawkins hit those early 3s to keep us afloat.
    - Composure plays. Mason gave a chippy little forearm that cost us a possession and two free throws. Miles got a technical. We can't do that.
    - Tough night for Rivers. He got into the lane, but didn't react well to MSU's help defense. It resulted in what hopefully will be his worst game at Duke.
    - Late-game decision making. Curry made some very bad decisions toward the end. Mason took a 5-second call with a timeout in hand. We gave them a few too many extra chances to chip away, and they were capitalizing.

I'm glad the shooting was on tonight. If we're 6-20 instead of 10-20, we probably lose. Thankfully, we hit those shots. We survived our first major conference test. MSU is physical, athletic, and well-coached, and we handled it. Hopefully we can build on the positives and learn from the mistakes.

Again, 903!

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Sorry CDu, we were typing at the same time. I merged my thread into yours. I am going to tweak your title to add 903 if you don' mind.
    Not a problem at all. Your title is far superior to mine!