Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Box Score

Just now looking at the box score:

Good
    • 5 first half minutes for Josh. He needs seasoning now because I guarantee we'll need late game minutes out of him at some point. Big men tend to foul a lot...
    • 38 minutes for Andre. Coach K rode the hot hand. I suspect we'll see a lot of variance in minutes early this season.
    • We only lost on the boards by 1. Our guards did a good job of hitting the boards. I'll take it vs. Izzo.
    • 3 point shooting. We're at about 50% for the season.
      41 free throw attempts. More please.

Bad
    • 8 assists, 17 turnovers. Bad ratio!
    • Only FG attempts by our 4/5 guys. We fed the post, but MSU guys seemed to push our bigs off the post a step or two beyond where they are actually capable of making a post move.
    • Only 4 offensive rebounds.
    • Keith Appling went off the last 5 minutes. Not cooooool.

I dont know
    • No Silent G this game. I would love to see him get some minutes early in the season, of course I have no idea how he has been in practice.

Another take on the stats...

Our rebounding was spread around and we were nearly even with Michigan State (they had 32 to our 31)
    With the emphasis Mich State puts on rebounding, they need a big margin in that category to win against good teams, and did not get it last night
    Seth was our leading(!) rebounder with 7, as well as having 4 steals and 20 points.

I like to see our guards helping out on the boards, and this could be an area of improvement over last year.
    Seth, Andre, Austin, and Tyler Thornton all seem capable of getting some boards and moving down to double team post players when necessary.

One other thing we are so used to that we sometimes forget to mention
    3-point shooting is a real strong point for this team
    10-21 as a team is outstanding
    How many other teams have the depth of outside shooters we have with Andre, Seth, Ryan Kelly, and Austin Rivers?
    Last edited by roywhite; 11-16-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    I would feel A LOT better about the win if Mason got a handful of those hooks to go down. Seems like he was called for 4 walks when he was getting ready to make a move.
    I know you're exaggerating, but he only took three shots without being fouled. And he made one of them. Unless you mean he should have finished the hook through the contact, he couldn't have made a "handful." Also, he only had two turnovers, and I think only one of them was a walk (I believe he was stripped while dribbling on the other).

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    And Miles - maybe he should get a massage before the game to relax and just play. Getting a shot or 2 to go down would do worlds for his confidence/ I dont think he is all that far away from being at Masons level of play. The effort is there.
    I agree with this observation. I have noticed in past years that both Miles and Mason play much better when they complete a dunk opportunity early in the game. If we ran alley-oops to both of them in the first few minutes (and they completed the dunk), I think both Mason and Miles would be a lot more consistent (and consistently good).

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Just now looking at the box score:

41 free throw attempts. More please.
    41 free throw attempts is a lot. Michigan State only had 18. Or do you mean more games like this, please?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Only [8] FG attempts by our 4/5 guys. We fed the post, but MSU guys seemed to push our bigs off the post a step or two beyond where they are actually capable of making a post move.
    As has been noted earlier (even by you, sort of), the bigs also had 18 free throw chances. So they had a lot more than 8 FG attempts, just got fouled a lot while they took their shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    As has been noted earlier (even by you, sort of), the bigs also had 18 free throw chances. So they had a lot more than 8 FG attempts, just got fouled a lot while they took their shots.
    The FT count doesn't accurately reflect the chances either, as several of those free throws came on non-shooting fouls once we were in the bonus. There were very few shooting fouls. I'd guess the number of field goal attempts was probably closer to 11-12 than 8.

We definitely threw the ball in to the bigs (really the Plumlees, especially Mason) a bunch in hopes of post shots. However, the Plumlees were frequently being forced to post up way too far from the basket. As such, they didn't look great in the post. Mason looked methodical and uncomfortable, though he did hit a couple of hooks (one waved off after a travel). He's not quick, so he's going to need to start his touches deeper in the post to be a consistently effective scorer.

As per my usual routine, I got to watch the game early in the morning after coming home from work. It lets me compare what I've read in the in-game thread and the post-game thread, with what I actually see and in a more detached and relaxed manner.

Not sure why there is so much talk about another blown lead. Last night's 20 point lead didn't vanish as quickly as Friday's lead did and while I'd love for the team to blow opponents out by 20+, that isn't going to happen against quality opposition very often. I think we did job of trading time for points.

Austin Rivers has an explosive first step and can get into the lane seemingly at will. With more experience he'll start finishing better and hitting open players. I was concerned about his so-called attitude, but to date he's done a fairly good job of not expressing himself when a play doesn't go his way.

Seth had a very nice game. He's a scorer, but his PG skills are improving. Another ill advised play at the end of the game, but he'll learn that crunchtime decisions require him to make the smart play over the highlight reel play.

Andre continues to baffle me. Two so-so games and then he goes off. He wasn't making his usual wide open shots, but the shots he was making were JJ like. Coming around curls, a man in his face. A truly awesome game. Can we please get this game in and game out.

Mason was solid. Played with some attitude and was abled to draw fouls against the opposition.

Ryan had some gambles on defense go against him, but he had a big second half and his range definitely gives us a big match-up edge.

Tyler had a rough night physically. Took several cheapshots including a well measured Ric Flair knee to the head. As pesky as ever, he's definitely a defensive sparkplug.

Quinn wasn't much of a factor, but better nights are surely ahead.

Miles had a really poor game yesterday. He seemed to be caught-up in the moment and just couldn't calm down. Every ball seemed to slip out of his hands and nothing went his way. I'm sure he'll come up with some big moments for the team down the line.

No Alex or Silent G.

A great effort on the boards and there's no way anyone in their right mind could call Duke a soft, finesse team.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    As per my usual routine, I got to watch the game early in the morning after coming home from work. It lets me compare what I've read in the in-game thread and the post-game thread, with what I actually see and in a more detached and relaxed manner.

Not sure why there is so much talk about another blown lead. Last night's 20 point lead didn't vanish as quickly as Friday's lead did and while I'd love for the team to blow opponents out by 20+, that isn't going to happen against quality opposition very often. I think we did job of trading time for points.
    Firstly, when you have a 20 point lead with 10 minutes to go, it shouldn't go down to the final possession.

I'm pretty sure that at one point we gave up like 13 points in 2 minutes.

My issue with the way the game was handled is that we made about 5 mistakes that you shouldn't make in this situation

1) Getting a 5 second violation on an inbounds play
    2) 2 times Thornton turned the ball over under pressure
    3) Fouling a 3 point shooter and then not getting the rebound off of a missed free throw
    4) Multiple transition baskets given up during stall ball
    5) Passing the ball to Mason Plumlee when he's going to be fouled

everybody loves draymond

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    Firstly, when you have a 20 point lead with 10 minutes to go, it shouldn't go down to the final possession.
    Technically, it didn't quite come down to the last possession. They were never closer than 2 possessions (3+ possessions until the final 30 seconds). But still not an efficiently handled end-of-game on our part.

My issue with the way the game was handled is that we made about 5 mistakes that you shouldn't make in this situation

3) Fouling a 3 point shooter and then not getting the rebound off of a missed free throw
    Agree that the last 7:30 of the game wasn't played great on our end. We gave up most of an 18-point lead in that stretch. I'd also add the three turnovers by Curry, one of which was completely unforced with 30+ seconds on the shot clock.

I'd point out that the stall ball part of this is a red herring. That's usually what should be avoided with stall ball. With stall ball, you should be able to get back defensively (since you should be set offensively). That's just lazy effort in getting back. And at the end, some of those layups were allowed because we didn't want to give up the 3.

Yeah we were up 13 with 3 minutes left. That has to be corrected. I dont know if TT handles the ball well enough to be in late game situations when protecting a lead. I love him and think we need him to be good but he doesnt look comfortable with ball when the other team is pressing. By no means am I saying the lead evaporated because of him, its just what I saw down the stretch.

Austin Rivers has an explosive first step and can get into the lane seemingly at will. With more experience he'll start finishing better and hitting open players. I was concerned about his so-called attitude, but to date he's done a fairly good job of not expressing himself when a play doesn't go his way.

Seth had a very nice game. He's a scorer, but his PG skills are improving. Another ill advised play at the end of the game, but he'll learn that crunchtime decisions require him to make the smart play over the highlight reel play.

Andre continues to baffle me. Two so-so games and then he goes off. He wasn't making his usual wide open shots, but the shots he was making were JJ like. Coming around curls, a man in his face. A truly awesome game. Can we please get this game in and game out.

Mason was solid. Played with some attitude and was abled to draw fouls against the opposition.

Ryan had some gambles on defense go against him, but he had a big second half and his range definitely gives us a big match-up edge.

Tyler had a rough night physically. Took several cheapshots including a well measured Ric Flair knee to the head. As pesky as ever, he's definitely a defensive sparkplug.

Quinn wasn't much of a factor, but better nights are surely ahead.

Miles had a really poor game yesterday. He seemed to be caught-up in the moment and just couldn't calm down. Every ball seemed to slip out of his hands and nothing went his way. I'm sure he'll come up with some big moments for the team down the line.

No Alex or Silent G.

A great effort on the boards and there's no way anyone in their right mind could call Duke a soft, finesse team.
    I agree with all of this. Mason was also altering a lot of shots. That doesn't get on the stat sheet, but it was the reason for many of their misses.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    Yeah we were up 13 with 3 minutes left. That has to be corrected. I dont know if TT handles the ball well enough to be in late game situations when protecting a lead. I love him and think we need him to be good but he doesnt look comfortable with ball when the other team is pressing. By no means am I saying the lead evaporated because of him, its just what I saw down the stretch.
    I remember a few nail biters last year that we won where I was cursing K for starting stall ball too early Stall ball +turnovers is not a good combination.

One trend worth watching is our lack of transition points. We've got a couple of great running big men but don't have a transition PG to get them the ball. As a result, maybe we can't expect to have a meaningful transition game, although it's too early to say. We haven't had a lot of perimeter steals, but there have been some long rebounds where I thought we could have run and didn't. I feel like Thornton, Rivers or Cook would be more natural fast break PGs than Curry, but Curry's been playing well so maybe our best offense won't include a lot of transition ala 2010. It will be interesting to see how that evolves.

If we are headed toward being more of a half court team, I want to see Mason get more touches. Someone earlier mentioned that, yesterday, he was not getting good position and therefore was catching 15 feet from the basket. That needs to change. I'd like to see some more high/low action to get him the ball closer to the hoop because he is showing a nice hook, and he is passing really well - nice kick-outs and some nice drop offs to Kelly, especially that bounce pass in the second half. He's got the makings of a really dynamic offensive force, both scoring and passing, and he's only going to get better with more touches. Running a lot more motion through him will open up the perimeter, too.

People are also commenting about Rivers inability to go left. I must admit that there were a bunch of times yesterday when he was being challenged to go left and he didn't, which surprised me because he abused some people going left in the early games. Go left, young man, go left!

20-1 Over Seven Minutes

Lots of mistakes and lots of things to work on. OTOH I thought we were in trouble before halftime because Michigan State was pushing us around and grabbing all the loose balls. Thank heavens for Andre!

After halftime we took the Spartans to the woodshed: from 16:37 to 9:18 we outscored MSU 20-1. The Spartans are a good team so they came back a bit, and Duke doesn't have Nolan around to run the clock and then breakdown the defense for a layup. But we'll get better at the end-of-game stuff.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    One trend worth watching is our lack of transition points. We've got a couple of great running big men but don't have a transition PG to get them the ball. As a result, maybe we can't expect to have a meaningful transition game, although it's too early to say. We haven't had a lot of perimeter steals, but there have been some long rebounds where I thought we could have run and didn't. I feel like Thornton, Rivers or Cook would be more natural fast break PGs than Curry, but Curry's been playing well so maybe our best offense won't include a lot of transition ala 2010. It will be interesting to see how that evolves.

If we are headed toward being more of a half court team, I want to see Mason get more touches. Someone earlier mentioned that, yesterday, he was not getting good position and therefore was catching 15 feet from the basket. That needs to change. I'd like to see some more high/low action to get him the ball closer to the hoop because he is showing a nice hook, and he is passing really well - nice kick-outs and some nice drop offs to Kelly, especially that bounce pass in the second half. He's got the makings of a really dynamic offensive force, both scoring and passing, and he's only going to get better with more touches. Running a lot more motion through him will open up the perimeter, too.

People are also commenting about Rivers inability to go left. I must admit that there were a bunch of times yesterday when he was being challenged to go left and he didn't, which surprised me because he abused some people going left in the early games. Go left, young man, go left!
    Good area for observation. I'm hopeful that we can establish a faster pace and look to run more in transition.

Although there's nobody on the roster who would be confused with Kryie, we do have several elements for potential transition success. Both Mason and Miles can snatch the ball off the defenive boards and change ends quickly. Both run well, and Mason is a good passer. Both dunk with authority and really are better suited offensively to transition than a half court set. Ryan Kelly does not run as well, but he's a great trailer to take a clear outside shot if lanes get cut off. Who becomes the primary ball handler and distributor in transition? Don't know for sure, maybe Seth. We certainly have guys who can flare out and set up at 3-point lines.

My hunch is that K is not pushing the transition game at this point, and is more concerned with overall establishing roles. Plus Michigan State is a hard team to run on.

Again, interesting to see how this develops.

Part of the lack of transition is the lack of live-ball turnovers. Another part is that I don't think our bigs are all that fast or quick. They're good leapers who can finish in transition, but unless they start near half-court, they aren't going to be involved in a fast break. But it's true that we don't have the explosive end-to-end PG to really push tempo. I don't think Thornton is a fast-break leader, and I haven't seen enough of Cook to know yet. Rivers can get out and go, but decision-making is still a question for him (more of a shoot-first guy).

I was one of the ones to mention this, so I'm glad you followed up. The Mason-to-Kelly combo did work a few times in the second half. So if Plumlee isn't going to get great position, I'd certainly like to see more of that (or more cutting from the perimeter guys in general). As for Mason getting the ball lower, I think it's a two-way street. He has to work harder to establish position at the right times (doesn't do any good to fight for position when the guard isn't ready to feed you) and for longer periods of time, and the guards need to do better at identifying when he's established really good position.

It's fine to sometimes start further from the basket on a post up. But starting every time 15 feet from the basket makes life very difficult unless you have a really polished offensive post game.

Maybe you should look at the big picture. Despite not having KI, NS, and KS this talented group of pieces has managed to open very large leads against two quality opponents. Now I used the word pieces instead of team, because this group of inexperienced kids are still learing their roles and how to play off of each other. Eventually they will become a more coherent team that will display more consistancy.

So they've had these big leads and they did lose them, but you know what? The fact of the matter is they prevailed in both contests. That should tell you something about these kids. That despite the pressure, they found a way to gut out wins against two solid opponents. I'll take this everyday of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I thought that maybe certain players were playing a little TOO hard, and maybe a little tight, last night. It reminded me of some baseball players trying to reach milestones and making it much harder than it should have been. Great effort though, and glad it's over so the guys can go back to just playing ball.
    Hot darn! K was on Mike & Mike this morning, and said the guys played tight in the first half because of the situation. Read my post, eh coach? (kidding of course on that last part)

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    A few things to consider here. First, except for the dumb dead ball foul, Mason played a heck of a game. This despite only getting 3 shot attempts. He defended really well, had amazing passes and was all over the place making things happen. People will point to MSU missing "easy shots", but much of that was due to the pressure the 3 bigs were putting on the MSU bigs. Our bigs challenged shots, especially Mason and Kelly, and either blocked, altered, or caused MSU to rush numerous shotsl Give some credit to the defense.

... Under that pressure, this inexperienced team could have laid an egg. THey didn't.
    I agree completely. I thought this was a great win for the team early in the year. I also thought Mason played very well and has played strong in every game this year. Like many, I disliked the over the shoulder fade away hook Mason seemed to employ some of the time the past couple of years. I feel like he has taken the ball strong on just about all his offensive moves, has passed nicely from the post and has been a force defensively and on the glass. His numbers may not have been great this game, but I thought he was, against a very physical team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I thought Mason played better than some are giving him credit for. Yes, he only took 3 shots, but his 10 free throws were largely a result of assertive offensive moves. 5-10 free throws actually is progress, so hopefully that will continue to trend upwards. I also thought there should have been a goal tend called on one of his hooks, and he made another nice hook, unfortunately after a travel. He made himself a threat. He also made some great passes and defended against a lot of size, until the final minutes when we went to the matador defense. Ryan has become reliable and has added some variation to his game. Miles, on the other hand, had a really off game.
    I also thought Mason showed a lot of toughness in this game and has so far this year.
    Austin at least showed that he can get by people, which the team needs. He also is starting to look to pass at times, but needs to be stronger with the ball and to finish the layups when he gets there. I think he'll really grow throughout the year.

Obviously, great to see a big game from Dawkins.

I saw Murphy shooting around pre-game. Is he still out with the concussion? I thought he showed enough promise in preseason that I would be surprised if he redshirts.

Thank you, Coach K!!!!!
    I also think we will see great things from Austin this year. I don't think there is any thought that Murphy would redshirt and don't think he can since he played in the exhibitions, but since he is just coming back from the head injury, I am not shocked he didn't get in this game. Hopefully, we see him against Davidson and get solid contributions from him this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

I can't say enough about Dawk. I believe he's a clutch shooter and that's a nice weapon to have in Duke's arsenal. I'll forever be grateful for the two three's he hit against Baylor his freshman year that helped send Duke to the Final Four. He of course sealed the game against Belmont in the season opener this year, and now this. With countless former Duke greats looking on and with all the media attention about 903 and all the self-imposed pressure to win it for Coach K, the entire team played jittery in the first half except for one man who shot lights out and allowed the team to weather the storm. Gotta love that kid. Hopefully this game will springboard him into becoming a consistent starter for the rest of the season.
    I agree completely. Way to go Dre. That's a few times that when the team has needed him most, he has come through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Agreed. Mason had a good game. I give him a ton of credit for helping Michigan St miss close-in shots with his shotblocking presence and length. Sure, MSU's post players aren't the most polished, but I firmly believe the intimidation factor played a part as well.

He's become a guy that we can rely on in the post. He has scoring moves, improved touch, and just as importantly, good court vision and passing ability to find cutters and open shooters. You can now throw the ball into him in the post and be pretty confident that something positive will happen. That's a great weapon to have in the arsenal.

Also agree that Miles struggled mightily. He's still not able to translate his practice dominance to real live game play. Yet. Hopefully it'll come at some point this season because we'll definitely need him to round out a very good 3-man post rotation. He's the missing piece right now with Ryan and Mason being so solid. If he can play with more confidence and have poise when he receives the ball, then he'll start to see the kickout opportunities and reduce the strips and fumbling of passes that he has suffered through.

Overall I like where we're at. We're a good team right now who has a lot of upside contained in Rivers and Miles finding their games at some point this season. We have time.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Biggest frustration of the night was the mental mistakes by the brothers Plumlee. Both of them earned completely unnecessary technical fouls. Especially in a game like last night's, there's just no room for that.
    I agree with your sentiment, but in this game, there was enough room for that.

I have obviously been impressed with Mason's play and toughness so far this year, but I also can't say enough about Tyler's toughness in a physical game like this one. He is a guy that I am getting the feeling is never going to get out-toughed, which is a nice thing to have on your team. The team showed nice toughness in a pressure filled game where everyone from Duke was hoping to see victory #903. Congratulations to the team for coming through.

He really reminds me of Wojo... LOVE IT!

-Brumby

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    TT is a player every team needs. He is savy and tough and I like his energy level. Im glad we got him.
    There were several different plays last night when TT got in there and knocked a ball loose, but didn't get credit for a steal, in fact one time Dre got the credit. In the end, i don't think TT cares if he got credit for them, he's all about making winning plays. He had that unfortunate slip on the stupid f'ing logo near midcourt for the turn, and he still makes some not-so great plays on O. Still, his intensity, nose for the ball on D, and generally solid ball handling make him much more valuable than his stats alone might lead one to believe.
    His rep as a great defender stopper are over-rated i think, as his man-to-man D is somewhat lacking. However, his ability to come weakside and strip, steal or generally disrupt a ballhandler are superb. He did that several times last night too.