Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

903!! MBB: Duke 74, Michigan State 69 Post Game Thread

Didn't see a thread. Discuss.
    Last edited by Newton_14; 11-15-2011 at 09:53 PM.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

903!! MBB: Duke 74 Mich St 69 Post Game Thread

Congrats to Coach K, the new ALL TIME leader in wins in NCAA History! Well done!

Discuss here. The end was not pretty but I can cut the kids some slack facing the pressure of the moment. They wanted it badly for their Coach.

Last 7 minutes was very sloppy and that's being kind. I hope these guys learn how to go for the jugular. Hope they also get serious about getting the ball in to the post. Tonight it seemed to be an afterthought. 7 shots total for the bigs. 7. Their interior defense has improved quite a bit though. Kelly should start. I think he sparked the team in the second half after Dawkins carried them in the first

it's gonna be a great season !!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    Hey, moonpie23, nice flip-flop - next thing you know you will be running for political office.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Hey, moonpie23, nice flip-flop - next thing you know you will be running for political office.
    that's not public knowledge yet, bob...please don't tell anyone...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    That's more like it.

Congrats to coach K on a great achievement. Congrats to this team for winning their second big ball game of this young season.

First, Congrats Coach K!

As for the game, I don't think that the game tape from this games will be preserved by the Library of Congress any time soon. As for the final score, you can break it down that Duke was sloppy and made a lot of mistakes, but Michigan State was sloppier and made a lot more mistakes. With the way the game went, I really don't have many other game specific thoughts, but I do have a lot of big picture things.

It's hard to comment on certain things exactly since the official box score has yet to be released, but it looks like we played around even with them on the boards give or take a few. This team destroyed UNC on the boards. This actually says less to me about our pure rebounding ability than it does about this teams' ability to follow a game plan. The Plumlees were hardly dominant against them on the boards, but did a good job of keeping rebounds alive and the guards did a great job of crashing in to scoop up loose balls. Clearly, team rebounding was a focus in the prep for this game, just like the press was a focus of prep for Belmont. Both times, Duke did a great job of implementing that into the game. This teams is willing to learn, and willing to do what it takes, but bringing it all together will take time. The question is how long? It could be by January, or the season could end before it happens, but the process is on its way.

Also, a lot of people mentioned that this team is "inexperienced." That's only partially true. Of the seven guys who got major minutes tonight, 5 have been on the roster for two years together already. Throw in Tyler, who fit in pretty seamlessly last year, and you have 6 guys who already have great chemistry. All six also saw significant minutes last year, including Tyler, who did an admirable job eating some minutes with Kyrie hurt. I also wonder a bit if those six are still getting used to Austin and Austin getting used to everyone else. Last year, Kyrie came in college ready from a basketball factory school. Austin comes from a high school team on which he was the only real talent. When he's on, it doesn't matter, but when he's not, he has a hard time getting others involved and they have a hard time getting him involved. I don't think its a coincidence that it was after he went out with his third foul that Duke took it from a 1 point game to a 17 or 18 point game by the time he came back. Having Austin fit in with everyone will take some time, and again, it could be a month, or it might not happen completely by the end of the year, we don't know.

The rotation is also interesting. After 2 legit games, it's pretty clear that Coach K is going with a 7 2/2 man rotation, the two halves being Cook and Hairston picking up spot minutes in the first half to give guys an extra bit of rest. The question is whether one of Cook, Hairston, Murphy, or Gbinije can show enough in practice to get significant minutes. I have a feeling that someone might do it for ACC season, but when push comes to shove at tourney time, the 7 guys who see big minutes now are going to be the ones on the floor.

The perimeter D has been a point of concern for awhile now, and this was really the only place that Michigan State was exploiting Duke's D. Time and again, they broke down defenders in one-on-one match ups. Michigan state had a lot of turnovers in this game, but unlike Belmont, a lot of them were self inflicted. I just didn't see Duke getting enough steals, easy boards, and fast break points to justify allowing Michigan State to get to rim at will. Incidentally, we were also lucky that they missed a ton of layups. None of us have been in practice, but Coach K must see something to make him think that this will get better or I'd imagine that we'd see guys start to back off a little. It's important to remember with the perimeter D that the first step is everything. It's not always about speed or athleticism, but reaction time. You have to recognize and be in lock step with the ball handler on the first step or it's over.

The last thing is the Plumlee offense. They had some first moves in the first two games that didn't work tonight. Most big guys on good teams won't be beat on the slow developing two or three dribble moves that they used against Belmont and PC. We saw that moves that worked best were the ones where Mason was able to beat his defender in one dribble. He got that on that hook shot and there were a few time that he had them beat on one dribble but got fouled before he could get a shot off. That's not to say that he should never take more than one dribble on a post move, but when it takes more than one dribble to at least get face up, it's probably a good idea to pass back out.

Finally, Duke has really bailed itself out with hot three point shooting, at almost 50% for the year. This is clearly not sustainable. We've already seen the team go brick city from three in that first exhibition game. Three point shooting is never something that can be consistent from game to game, and shooting half of your field goals from the outside is not a good formula for later on. They played a team with tough big guys, but with Austin spending significant amounts of time off the floor, Dawkins and Curry were the primary options and they have to mix in other stuff with their jump shot. They don't have break-you-down moves, but they have to find ways to probe the D, and be crafty to get floaters and layups for themselves or a big.

The end game was also interesting. Everyone on the floor seemed a little lethargic (both teams), and it looked like Izzo had actually given up before they had the four point play with the foul on the three pointer and offensive board. I'm not too worried about it yet given some of the weird stuff that happened, like Tyler slipping on the stupid sticker. If it keeps happening, I'll get more concerned.

With that huge post, the box score was finally posted. Duke only lost the rebounding battle 32-31, but they were actually further behind than it looked because Michigan State missed a lot more shots. That means if rebounding percentage were equal, Duke would have several more boards in the game. Still, we didn't get killed, and most of the problem was getting offensive rebounds for ourselves. The team did a great job and held them to just 25% offensive rebounding, which is pretty darn good against Michigan State. BTW, shout out to Seth for having 7 boards.

I was also satisfied with the free throw shooting at 73%. That number is usually just good, but when Mason has a quarter of the shots, that's really good. Speaking of Mason's shooting, he really seems to have his shots on line, but is just really inconsistent with the distance. If you're going to be accurate on only one axis, that's the better one. It gives the ball a chance to bounce in, and it's more conducive to rebounding as the ball will go back towards the shooter into the pile, as opposed to the side where the defenders have position.

There's probably more, but all in all, this team is really sloppy and needs to improve big time, but there are positives there. Once again, congrats Coach K!!

Grats Coach

Interesting Austin didn't play much, though he did have a bit of foul trouble, and wasn't playing very well, whereas all of the other guys really were.

Seth has really improved, I see he has stolen one of Austin's classic stutter step drive-by moves, and he does it under control, which is one thing Austin is having some trouble with. But he'll get it.

Happy day, grats to coach and the team(s), and to Duke, and the sixth men from the last 30 years (that's us).

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Didn't see a thread. Discuss.
    Sorry CDu, we were typing at the same time. I merged my thread into yours. I am going to tweak your title to add 903 if you don' mind.

we won! despite ineffective offense from the MPs and a totally ineffective game from Rivers. Cuz Dawkins was AWESOME, Curry was too (plus 5 steals) and Ryan Kelly didn't miss a shot (shades of last year?).
    Congrats to Coach K for the all-time victories title!

Great games by Dawkins and Curry. Ball-handing at end of games needs work, as we saw in the Belmont game too. Interior defense was outstanding. Nice job by the players staying focused with all the hoopla surrounding win 903.

Hopefully, this issue of blowing huge leads late in the 2nd half can be cured.

Andre was HUGE in the 1st half and I thought Kelly really played well and IMHO should be getting serious consideration for cracking the starting lineup and moving one Plumlee to the bench.

Couldn't be prouder of our university, our program, or our coach. What a great night!

Curry
    Rivers
    Dawk
    Kelly
    Mason

Should be our starting line-up from now on. Miles is still having some serious trouble on both ends.

Also, if anyone was ever wondering where coach's love for "stall-ball" came from... look no further than the man Coach just passed on the all-time wins list.

Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    Curry
    Rivers
    Dawk
    Kelly
    Mason

Should be our starting line-up from now on. Miles is still having some serious trouble on both ends.
    Agree. It was interesting to see who was on the floor at crunch time. Obviously Andre had a monster night. But I thought Mason, Kelly and Curry all stepped up in their own, often quiet, ways. Good also to see solid minutes and contrubtions by Cook, Thorton, and Hairston. Obviously a down night for Miles. And Austin will certainly see better nights while at Duke - he seems too often like he's not playing within himself or within the offense - trying too hard to make something happen by himself.

Since I so often rag on them, I should acknowledge that ESPN did a good job of spotlighting this milestone for K. The extended "talking heads" session set on center court after the game - Jay, Digger, Davis and the host - was well done and just "nice." Jay sure did seem giddy for K though - but witty as always (I'm almost always proud that he's one of us!).

And nice after-game moments and comments from K - explaining that the ball will go into the Duke BB Hall of Fame, "This ball is the sort of thing that doesn't belong to a coach...it belongs to a school and a program..." Ixzo, classy as always. Great to see the K-Knight embrace and private words. The presentation. K's hugs and kisses for Micky and his daughters, and especially with his brother. Very nicely done all around. Now, how long before the boorish 'heeeeelz fans start deriding it "barely hanging on for a win against a team that NC "blew out" just a few days earlier... ??? (Sigh.)
    Last edited by -bdbd; 11-15-2011 at 11:33 PM.

Great game, but what bugged me was that Dawkins was on fire and they stopped getting him shots in the 2nd half. Not coincidentally, that's when MSU started to claw their way back into the game. Lots of poor decisions and forced shots, just like in the Belmont game. Will come back to haunt them if they don't fix it soon.

Big night for K and the program - let's hope he keeps pushing to 1000+.

The first half was a mess, aside from Dre's sublime shooting. A lot of those shots were pretty heavily contested, too. He was just feeling it. Although he couldn't help but be quieter in the second half, he was still a meaningful presence making a bunch of shots, playing tough on D, agitating the other team a little...his best all around game in a long time. Ok, Dre, you've given your admirers more hope that you will be this kind of player game in and game out. Please justify their hopes and dreams.

I, too, though Kelly was our next best player. He was solid on both ends, scoring, rebounding, contesting shots, spacing the floor, handling the ball, etc. He was the frontline star.

Curry was solid. As others have said, he needs to work on finishing games, but he did a lot of scoring and was a real pest on defense.

We didn't get Mason the ball enough early, and the early foul plus the technical had him out of sorts - I also thought that I saw a fair sized shiner near his eye, so maybe he was mad because he was getting hit. To that I say...Man up, dog! Still, he kept battling and, ultimately, had a good game although how many people screamed at him through their TV when he picked up that ridiculous 3rd foul?

Agree about Rivers, but a lot of his moves were on point and he wasn't getting any love from the refs. He's going to have freshman games, but I don't think we'll see too many when he gets within 3 feet of the hoop and comes up empty as many times as he did tonight.

Thornton gave us some decent minutes, Miles was a little dissapointing (esp the technical). Hairston actually gave us some good minutes in the first half, as did Cook.

MSU missed a TON of easy baskets...like, layups, over and over. The also fumbled a lot of passes right under the basket. They played well the first 10 but their turnovers let us stay in the game, and then we got hot to start the second and they got very cold. But, we also toughened up and started scrapping and hustling more...I love the way we contested those under the basket opportunities.

Solid win, we are a work in progress but we are evolving. No one is emerging as a game-in, game-out person you can count on, but Curry is probably the closest so far with Mason and Kelly next then Rivers and Dawkins. Naturally, Mr. 903 is always ready game-in, game out. Way to go, Coach!

Mich St scored 13 points in the final 1:21 of the game. The lack of poise at the end is a concern. I expected us to be outplayed in the post, but the lack of post play was still surprising. Bad showing by the frontcourt offensively on this stage. We simply have to get more out of Miles to be successful this season. The mistakes he made out there were more freshmen-like than senior.

But a tough win. Andre found his spots and stayed focused all throughout. The defense for the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half was superb. Seth seems to be finding more and more comfort in his role, just still needs more time. 903!!
    "Just be you. You is Enough."