Has anyone tried watching games on watchespn.com?

I'm going to be stuck at work during the next few weekday games and am trying to find a place to watch online. Does anyone have any experience watching online with ESPN?

The Michigan State game is listed here http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index#type/upcoming/ but will I be able to watch? It says ESPN3, and I've had problems with ESPN3 in the past because I don't use one of their partner ISPs, but it looks like the platform may have changed.

Any tips for watching online would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    I'm going to be stuck at work during the next few weekday games and am trying to find a place to watch online. Does anyone have any experience watching online with ESPN?

The Michigan State game is listed here http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index#type/upcoming/ but will I be able to watch? It says ESPN3, and I've had problems with ESPN3 in the past because I don't use one of their partner ISPs, but it looks like the platform may have changed.

Any tips for watching online would be appreciated!
    All ESPN/ESPN2 games are simulcast on ESPN3, which is available to all providers. WatchESPN gives you ESPNU et al, but you have to have Brighthouse/Time Warner or Verizon.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

I love ESPN3, just wish Time Warner would allow me to watch it through my XBox. The app is there, but not available through Time Warner yet.

The center of the basketball universe (aka: North Carolina)
    I'm a poor 2nd year teacher and I cut satellite out to save a few bucks. Watchespn.com is the only way I've been watching games for the last couple of seasons and I don't mind it at all! Sometimes the video quality isn't as crystal clear as I'd like but I'll deal with it to see my Devils play. It's really great because there are replays starting about an hour after the game airs if you happen to miss a game.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I get screwed by Time Warner. I have them for my internet, but for TV I have DirecTV. Since I don't use TW for cable, I can't watch ESPN3. Sucks.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    All ESPN/ESPN2 games are simulcast on ESPN3, which is available to all providers. WatchESPN gives you ESPNU et al, but you have to have Brighthouse/Time Warner or Verizon.
    Could you explain how to access ESPN3 through any provider? I seems to only be able to access it through WatchESPN.com, which, as you suggest, requires being on one of a handful of providers.

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    Could you explain how to access ESPN3 through any provider? I seems to only be able to access it through WatchESPN.com, which, as you suggest, requires being on one of a handful of providers.
    ESPN3 is also not available to everybody, but there are hundreds of providers that subscribe to it:
    http://espn.go.com/espn3/affList

WatchESPN, on the other hand, is much more limited with only three providers. Both are accessed through the WatchESPN site and your provider must subscribe to it. If you're not connected directly with your provider that subscribes, you can login with the e-mail of a provider that does. I believe some providers provide free e-mail access, so you can try signing up for e-mail and then logging in that way.

As far as I know, watchespn.com is the espn online viewing portal. watchespn.com has ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, and Goal Line (I think that's it). Only Time Warner, Bright House Networks, and Verizon FiOS TV have watchespn.com access. I think you have to subscribe to cable TV to get access to this (not broadband internet only, for example). I've got Time Warner cable TV, and registered with Time Warner (free) to get access to watchespn.com.

Otherwise, ESPN3 is available to a bunch of providers (I think both cable TV and/or broadband internet subscribers), but only ESPN3 for these folks. A friend has only DSL broadband internet, and gets only ESPN3 (in watchespn.com).

Also, while I can watch ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN3 on watchespn.com, I can't watch ESPNU and Goal Line, since my cable TV subscription doesn't include the enhanced sports package (which includes ESPNU... I'm not sure about Goal Line). And, only ESPN3 broadcasts are available for replay on watchespn.com. So if a game is only on ESPNU, I'm out of luck... no live viewing, no replay.

Hope this is accurate...
    Last edited by gep; 11-15-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    ESPN3 is also not available to everybody, but there are hundreds of providers that subscribe to it:
    http://espn.go.com/espn3/affList

WatchESPN, on the other hand, is much more limited with only three providers. Both are accessed through the WatchESPN site and your provider must subscribe to it. If you're not connected directly with your provider that subscribes, you can login with the e-mail of a provider that does. I believe some providers provide free e-mail access, so you can try signing up for e-mail and then logging in that way.
    There's another catch. For those who use DirecTV or Dish Network for their TV service and Time Warner Cable for internet service, you're out of luck with ESPN3/WatchESPN/etc (barring some sort of password shenanigans). Time Warner gives access to those ESPN features based on also having television service through them.

This may not be the case with all cable companies, though. In fact, it may actually be exclusively a Time Warner Cable issue.