The Hunger Games

The first trailer for The Hunger Games movie is out. It looks simply awesome and seems extremely faithful to the book.

The movie's challenge will be capturing on film all the things in the book that happen in Katniss' head. Her thoughts and strategies during the competition are an essential part of what is going on, but she rarely speaks them out loud. I imagine they will solve a lot of it by just partnering her up with Rue very quickly and then having her find Peeta soon after.

The Hunger Games movie hits theaters at the end of March. Pre-production has already begun on second film in the series, Catching Fire, with a scheduled release date 18 months later, in November of 2013. That says to me that the studio expects the first film to build a larger audience because a mid-November release is a much more high-profile slot than a late-March date. The plan is to take the third/last book in the series, Mockingjay (which, I think, is the weakest of the 3 books), and make it into 2 movies (like Twilight and Harry Potter did). My bet is they will target November 2014 and summer 2015 as release dates for those.

-Jason "of course, everyone thought The Golden Compass would lead to 3 or 4 films, but the movie sucked so bad that only one got made" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "of course, everyone thought The Golden Compass would lead to 3 or 4 films, but the movie sucked so bad that only one got made" Evans
    If New Line hadn't sold the foreign rights to the film (which grossed $300M outside the U.S.) and marketed it so poorly in the U.S., there probably would have been a sequel despite the lackluster reviews. The other distributors outside the U.S. (i.e. not New Line) did a great job of marketing The Golden Compass as more of a family film instead of a high throttle fantasy adventure like New Line did. It only grossed $70M in the U.S. (with a $180M budget).

In any event, to get back on topic, I haven't read the Hunger Games, but it will be interesting to see how these movies do.

Interesting on the third book.

With no spoilers...the first two books are really about the games, and the third book is more an action story pitting two sides against each other. Personally, I liked the first two books much, much more. Surprised that the early indication is that the third book would be split in half...when it had less action than the first two (at least in my mind).

The first trailer for The Hunger Games movie is out. It looks simply awesome and seems extremely faithful to the book.

The movie's challenge will be capturing on film all the things in the book that happen in Katniss' head. Her thoughts and strategies during the competition are an essential part of what is going on, but she rarely speaks them out loud. I imagine they will solve a lot of it by just partnering her up with Rue very quickly and then having her find Peeta soon after.

The Hunger Games movie hits theaters at the end of March. Pre-production has already begun on second film in the series, Catching Fire, with a scheduled release date 18 months later, in November of 2013. That says to me that the studio expects the first film to build a larger audience because a mid-November release is a much more high-profile slot than a late-March date. The plan is to take the third/last book in the series, Mockingjay (which, I think, is the weakest of the 3 books), and make it into 2 movies (like Twilight and Harry Potter did). My bet is they will target November 2014 and summer 2015 as release dates for those.

Interesting note, some of the movie was filmed in western N.C. near where I live (Burke county). Some of it was also filmed in Asheville, NC.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyWR View Post
    Interesting note, some of the movie was filmed in western N.C. near where I live (Burke county). Some of it was also filmed in Asheville, NC.
    Hang on... it wasn't filmed in Panem?

-JE
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Hang on... it wasn't filmed in Panem?

-JE
    Could be both-- I got the vibe that District 12 was supposed to be somewhere in the Appalachians.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Could be both-- I got the vibe that District 12 was supposed to be somewhere in the Appalachians.

The former mill town of Henry River:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/11/...e-in-film.html