cable tv - carrboro

sup y'all,
    i recently moved to carrboro, and in an effort to spend less money have avoided getting cable tv. now that the season is here, i've been doing some thinking and i'm willing to increase the number of bowls of ramen per week if it means i can watch duke games (and also, all the other lovely things that cable has to offer). this may come as a stupid question, but do i have options with regards to which cable provider to get? that is, is time warner my only option? are there other cable services? does anyone know how i can find out? i share internet with a neighbor so i don't have any existing services with twc, so i can't bundle anything, but i'm just curious to see if anyone has suggestions for what i should do. thanks,
    ns

Satellite

Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
    sup y'all,
    i recently moved to carrboro, and in an effort to spend less money have avoided getting cable tv. now that the season is here, i've been doing some thinking and i'm willing to increase the number of bowls of ramen per week if it means i can watch duke games (and also, all the other lovely things that cable has to offer). this may come as a stupid question, but do i have options with regards to which cable provider to get? that is, is time warner my only option? are there other cable services? does anyone know how i can find out? i share internet with a neighbor so i don't have any existing services with twc, so i can't bundle anything, but i'm just curious to see if anyone has suggestions for what i should do. thanks,
    ns
    I don't know about Carrboro, but in most places satellite TV provides competition for cable companies. We have had DirecTV for a long time, and are quite satisfied with it.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I don't know about Carrboro, but in most places satellite TV provides competition for cable companies. We have had DirecTV for a long time, and are quite satisfied with it.
    i should make a point of mentioning that i am looking for the cheapest option. is getting a satellite practical if it's only through may?

i should make a point of mentioning that i am looking for the cheapest option. is getting a satellite practical if it's only through may?
    You'd yave to check with the provider, of course, but they often have a promotion to the effect that if you're moving, you just call them and they will get you set up in your new place. You would probably have to commit to keeping the service in place, but they are happy just to leave the dish in place for the next occupant.

If you KNOW you're not going to be watching the teevee after basketball season ends, the best option may be something (cable or satellite) where there isn't a minimum contract, ie, you can cancel anytime. I'm a couple time zones away, so can't speak for Orange County, but Comacst is like that here.

sup y'all,
    ns
    Welcome to THE OC! (Orange County).... you will become immune to all the Baby Blue buses, and Unc signs, etc. And Duke is just across I40.

DWP