Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I am not nearly as knowledgeable as many (especially DukeMSU) on the MSU roster, but based on my more limited knowledge it seems that they are as weak at guard as they have been in many, many years. In contrast, we seem to have a lot talent at the guard position (albeit somewhat inexperienced). Plus, our Bigs are underrated. No disrespect to Izzo and the MSU program who I think a ton of but I like Duke in this match up by about 15. Just does not seem that MSU has the horses this year and that this match up favors our Blue Devils.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    PF: We'll see a lot of Green, who is similar to Coleman from Presbyterian in style. He's short (perhaps generously listed at 6'7") and stout (230+). But he knows how to work around the basket.
    A tempest in a teapot, then?

Seth Davis tweeted the following a few minutes ago--

Allow me to wake you up for my official prediction for this evening: I believe Michigan State will upset Duke, postponing the Coach K party.

Duke is better, but these are extraordinary circumstances. Duke players will be under great pressure to deliver the win. World is watching.

When Bob Knight was passing Dean Smith, his Texas Tech teams lost games it shouldn't. Players were tight. Not sure Devils ready for that.

Mich St better than people think. Got their feet wet vs tough UNC team. Plus, they have NO pressure on them. Just a hunch, folks.
    -Jason "we'll see... it never hurts a former Dukie like Seth to pick against his school -- removes allegations of bias" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Seth Davis tweeted the following a few minutes ago--

-Jason "we'll see... it never hurts a former Dukie like Seth to pick against his school -- removes allegations of bias" Evans
    Five point spread, would not be a real upset. I don't think we will come out tight, but I do think MSU will come out with a "we're not going to be the ones on the highlight reel forever" view. Izzo will tell them that it isn't happening. Not tonight.

I could see the game going either way, and will not be surprised if we lose. Either way, as long as the team learns something tonight about playing in the big games, it's all good.

Time to see who is ready to step up on the Big Stage.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemsu View Post
    I'd be absolutely stunned if Green is on Andre for more than a few plays.

Green and Nix/Payne will guard Miles and Mason to start. Appling gets Rivers. Dawson will check Dawkins, and Wood will guard Curry.

Green played some 3 last year, but it didn't go well, especially defensively. He'll be guarding 4s and 5s this year to maximize his rebounding.

dukemsu
    I agree with the rest of your post except for the bolded part. I'm pretty sure I remember Summers playing the 3, with Thornton backing him up. I checked the stats, and the following players played perimeter roles for MSU last year (excluding the absolute end-of-bench guys):

Lucas: 33.4 mpg
    Appling: 22.9 mpg
    Summers: 29.3 mpg
    Lucious: 12.9 mpg (24.4 mpg over 18 games)
    Thornton: 11.1 mpg
    Kebler: 9.8 mpg

That's 119.4 mpg, or roughly all of the minutes for PG, SG, and SF.

In other words, Green didn't play SF last year. He did spend more time on the perimeter, but it was in the "stretch 4" role with guys like Roe, Sherman, Nix, and Payne playing the 5 (and the rest of the minutes at 4).

Sorry for beating a dead horse here, as I think it's clear that Green isn't going to guard (or be guarded by) Dawkins except on the occasional screen switches. I just wanted to clarify how unlikely it'd be for Green to play at the 3.

As much as I would have liked for Michigan State to beat UNC in 2009, Tom Izzo doesn't have 2 national titles. Nice graphic ESPN.

I like Andre coming out aggressive even if he makes a few mistakes.

no rebounding. giving up tons of 2nd chance points. MSU is just geting all the loose balls, knocking it away after rebs. we'd be ahead by 8 if we don't give up those Oboards.
    Last edited by DukieInBrasil; 11-15-2011 at 07:44 PM.

I know we have a good record at MSG but I hate playing there. The rims are stiff and awkward.

Plumlee Hands

FOR GOD'S SAKE! Hang on to the ball! Plumlee hands.

DRE!!!! 3-4 3s!!! Comin' aliiiiiiiiivvveeee!!!!!!!!!!!

offense

Can anyone describe what Duke is trying to do on offense?

Kelly

I understand that Kelly is one of our smartest players, but he makes our defensive rotations way too slow. He is a liability on D in a game like this.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    FOR GOD'S SAKE! Hang on to the ball! Plumlee hands.
    Kinda looking like last season against Arizona

For all those people that love talking about how great Wojo is- I hope you are watching this game.

The Plumlees have got to get their act together.

Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    The Plumlees have got to get their act together.
    They are both trying to dribble too much. It's killing us.

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    For all those people that love talking about how great Wojo is- I hope you are watching this game.
    Oh for Pete's sake...

Agreed. To be fair, the bigs do seem to be contributing more this year on offense. However, I can't tell if that's due to improvement or just increased touches leading to increased comfort.

Plumlees have left a lot of points on the court and a couple dumb turnovers, but then again so has MSU, so it's hard to really describe the game. Definitely a tight one.

I'd rather have Dawkins be 3-4 from two-point range instead of three-point.

I missed it

Wow I didn't even see him check in; you sure he's playing?