Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USS Carl Vinson

USS Carl Vinson

sparty has had a recent history of not showing up against the holes. how badly will they get beat this time? as much as i would like to see sparty push the holes overboard, i anticipate another ugly blue beat down.

they will, however, show up against us in the garden, for sure.

Carl Vinson prediction: Still dead.

This game will be very ugly.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    This game will be very ugly.
    Undoubtedly.

Local forecast is calling for rain right around game time. Looks like they may have to move the game from the flight deck to the hanger below. If they do, I predict that there will be some very disappointed Tar Heels roaming the wet streets of San Diego.

Go Heels!

I'm very excited about this game. I like any other true Duke fan despise the holes, however, I will be pulling for Carolina in this one for the fact that the USS Carl Vinson in the ship my father served on in the 80s. This is a very special game that I know my father is going to enjoy watching (He's a huge UNC fan), so I hope they make him proud. A few years back as a family trip, we took a harbor cruise in Norfolk to see ole' number 70. The site brought my father to tears.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Local forecast is calling for rain right around game time. Looks like they may have to move the game from the flight deck to the hanger below. If they do, I predict that there will be some very disappointed Tar Heels roaming the wet streets of San Diego.
    My undersanding was that attendance was limited to Active Duty only (with exception for staff/media/support crew) but not open to general admission ... I applaud the US Navy for hosting this. It is a major logistical undertaking to have a televised basketball game on a "ship of the line", not sure that it has ever been done before? ... Good on them.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I'm very excited about this game. I like any other true Duke fan despise the holes, however, I will be pulling for Carolina in this one for the fact that the USS Carl Vinson in the ship my father served on in the 80s. This is a very special game that I know my father is going to enjoy watching (He's a huge UNC fan), so I hope they make him proud. A few years back as a family trip, we took a harbor cruise in Norfolk to see ole' number 70. The site brought my father to tears.
    I very humbly and sincerely thank your father for his service to our country...and I hope his team loses by 100.

shooting at sea?

An aircraft carrier is a pretty big ship, but it's still a ship, on the ocean. I wonder if even subtle movement will affect the shooting, and if so, will it be more of a problem for the 'holes than for sparty?

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    ...the USS Carl Vinson is the ship my father served on in the 80s.
    mattman91,

Your father and I have something in common. I was a crew member in the USS Carl Vinson from January 1998 to February 2001.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    An aircraft carrier is a pretty big ship, but it's still a ship, on the ocean. I wonder if even subtle movement will affect the shooting, and if so, will it be more of a problem for the 'holes than for sparty?
    The short answer is no. An aircraft carrier tied to the pier in San Diego Harbor does not move. With a displacement in excess of 100,000 tons, it doesn't move around all that much when at sea.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The short answer is no. An aircraft carrier tied to the pier in San Diego Harbor does not move. With a displacement in excess of 100,000 tons, it doesn't move around all that much when at sea.
    As I have stated before, I hope the 'heels are able to "throw it in the ocean" with great regularity during the contest. Go Spartans!

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    But the wind will blow! Good luck with those shooting percentages boys!

P.S.- There is also a discussion on this game in the "This Week in The ACC" that PfrDuke started yesterday. In that thread I predicted UNC 96- Sparty- 58. I see no reason to change my opinion now. (Dang lowlife Spartans always rolling over and playing dead against the Heels!)

I love time lapse videos. I love basketball. So, this video was particularly awesome. If only we were playing in the game. Pretty cool to see regardless. LINK

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    I love time lapse videos. I love basketball. So, this video was particularly awesome. If only we were playing in the game. Pretty cool to see regardless. LINK
    That was awesome. Thanks for sharing. It's a fresh video... dated today and only a couple hundred views when I saw it.

Carrier decks do move at sea

As a "Old Salt", with just a few carrier landings under my belt , I would take issue with the deck not moving "all that much at sea". Many a time in my career we had to secure flight ops due to an unsafe moving deck, sometimes in excess of plus or minus twelve feet. Ashore tied up, I agree, movement will not be felt. However, I do recall a night back in 69' when the wind moved the Enterprise far enough away from the pier so that the gangways were non-functional.
    As a Sparty alum, I am hoping but not very confident, this year for sure.

In the time-lapse video, you did see the deck moving up and down relative to the shore - but perhaps a lot of that is just due to tides and all the loading/unloading. Either way, it would be very gradual over that long of time. I imagine for a 2-hour stretch it wouldn't be that noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Festus View Post
    As a "Old Salt", with just a few carrier landings under my belt , I would take issue with the deck not moving "all that much at sea". Many a time in my career we had to secure flight ops due to an unsafe moving deck, sometimes in excess of plus or minus twelve feet. Ashore tied up, I agree, movement will not be felt. However, I do recall a night back in 69' when the wind moved the Enterprise far enough away from the pier so that the gangways were non-functional.
    As a Sparty alum, I am hoping but not very confident, this year for sure.
    Sea dogs don't consider a few feet to-or-fro or up-and-down to qualify as motion.

I was at sea for approximately 3 months on the USNS Comfort, one of two naval hospital ships (USNS Mercy, being the other). These ships are converted oil tankers and are close to the size of a carrier. I can tell you that we "rolled" at times when crossing the Atlantic. It was funny, because the ship has long open hallways (unlike war ships) and you would be walking down the hall on the left hand side only to find yourself bumping into the right hand wall a few seconds later. Sleeping was cool, because you sensed you were being "rocked" to sleep. Thank goodness that we did not get into heavy seas on my short cruise.

Bob is right in that they do not move "that much" in comparison to other ships but anything on that ocean is going to move at the mercy of the swells...

Tied up at dock in a sheltered port I doubt that movement will be any problem for the players. They may have to worry about the wind... but I suppose UNC will be looking to score a lot in the paint, so it could work to their advantage.

Sport Science

ESPN has done a video of this very thing. They said the thing that will hurt the shooters the most is not having a ceiling to use as a guideline.