Thread: Hell on Wheels

Hell on Wheels

Did anyone catch the premier? I was very excited about this show, but was a little disappointed with the premier. I guess it will take a couple episodes to set the groundwork, but it covers an era in US history that fascinates me, so I'll give it a little more time.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Did anyone catch the premier? I was very excited about this show, but was a little disappointed with the premier. I guess it will take a couple episodes to set the groundwork, but it covers an era in US history that fascinates me, so I'll give it a little more time.
    I watched it. It is definitely watchable, and some of the acting is good, but it's such a rip off of Deadwood right down to almost every character archetype, it's almost plagiarism (quick tempered protagonist, soliloquy giving, town-running antagonist loosely based on real person, widowed leading lady that will almost certainly fall for the main character, creepy preacher, make-shift town, poker, etc. etc.).

One plus -- it had Buffalo Bill *AND* The Tooth Fairy!!

Music video from the series

I think it may take a while to get into the main characters, but the series definitely has potential.

This video is worth a view/listen:
    http://www.amctv.com/hell-on-wheels/...-straight-shot
    (It obviously includes somes scenes from later in the series...)

At least for the time being, you can watch the complete Episode 1 for free on the AMC web site.

k

I still love this show. Anybody else watching? Thoughts?

A great mini-series

I think season 2 left season 1 in the dust, especially the last couple of recent episodes.

It took a while for the series to find some followers, especially considering some of the other competition faced on AMC. (Walking Dead / Breaking Bad / Mad Men).

As for the "ending" on Sunday night (let's just say as it relates to three characters)....I was not ready for that!!

k

I finished the season two finale last night and was a little confused but thought it was great. Is this the end of the show or will there be a season 3? I really hope there is another season! Spoilers and questions below in white:

Did Gunderson get double crossed by teh Sioux? Was that part of the master plan for Gunderson to be teh white spirit? I was also upset to see Lilly's character killed; I was looking forward to her relationship with Bohannon growing as the railroad continues to expand.

I think this is an interesting show.
    Madmen is essentially not nice people doing not nice things to each other... but what DREW me into that was the lushness of the sets. An everyday object that I would see ant my grandparents house and think "old" - would be present in Mad men, and it was wondrous to see how that object would have appeared and functioned in the environment of NEW.

That same attention to detail is found in Hell on Wheels.
    The mud - the boards to walk on... the steaming breath when its cold, horse poo on the tents, weapons - I swear I can smell the sawdust and wood of the church, bar and railroad offices.

The characters are well crafted.
    The Swede is a bit of a strain at times but overall he is played SO well you can overlook his flaws.
    This is the way a villain should be treated. I prefer the Swede to Homelands Brody.

Lilly Bell is a Jane Seymour kind of classic pretty.
    Its still odd to see Chief O'Brien not at the transporter controls.
    Cullen Played by (Anson Mount - that name may seem familiar to some. His dad was the sports writer for Playboy for a number of year. Odd thing. The actor shares the name with his dad and a half brother. Must have made holidays confusing) is an unpredictable anti hero.

The Season 2 finale reminded me of how I felt when I read Thomas Harris' Hannibal. When I read that book it seemed to me that Harris was saying - "OK after this they will never ask me to write another one.."

Unless they go dream sequence or some other device; I don't see how they can move forward with the story.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Cullen Played by (Anson Mount - that name may seem familiar to some. His dad was the sports writer for Playboy for a number of year. Odd thing. The actor shares the name with his dad and a half brother. Must have made holidays confusing) is an unpredictable anti hero.
    Health insurance was probably a nightmare..