Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    LOL, you mean like Coach K dominates Duke? What exactly DO you mean by this? How has Paterno dominated Penn State?
    It's way different. Paterno is Penn State. He is the defining characteristic of the university. He's been there twice as long as Coach K has been at Duke. The library is named after him. Not an athletic facility, but the library. Joe Paterno has been the face of not just the athletic department, but the university itself for decades.

I believe the board made the right decision, but I am disturbed that after all his years of service, and all the positive things JoePa has done for Penn State, that no one on the board had the courage to tell him to his face that he was fired. That said, Joe should have retired years ago, but the same spinelessness that prevented anyone from personally telling Joe he was gone prevented the board from making that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by ForkFondler View Post
    That sounds like the reasoning that got a lacrosse season canceled. Seriously, should PSU play football at all this weekend? Paterno is more icon than coach; behind him is the institution with many (hundreds, thousands?) of individuals who could have done more. Oh right, TV contracts. Firing Paterno now, as opposed to the end of the season, doesn't really solve any problems.
    Funny, my immediate reaction was that this is just like when Mike Pressler was fired.

I'm not trying to claim that Paterno will ultimately be exonerated; far from it. What I'm trying to say instead is that I find it absolutely stunning how fast the media has spun this up into a class 5 hurricane - with Paterno as its target. I wish there'd been at least some semblance of due process before this decision had been made.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    It's way different. Paterno is Penn State. He is the defining characteristic of the university. He's been there twice as long as Coach K has been at Duke. The library is named after him. Not an athletic facility, but the library. Joe Paterno has been the face of not just the athletic department, but the university itself for decades.
    I don't think it is as different as you suggest, other than the number of years of service.

But I disagree with the original premise, that one coach should not become the "face" of the school. it happens whether we like it or not. i can name two basketball coaches at UConn but not a single administrator. I can only name a North Carolina Trustee when he runs afoul of a sports program. Is Nan still president of Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by ForkFondler View Post
    That sounds like the reasoning that got a lacrosse season canceled. Seriously, should PSU play football at all this weekend? Paterno is more icon than coach; behind him is the institution with many (hundreds, thousands?) of individuals who could have done more. Oh right, TV contracts. Firing Paterno now, as opposed to the end of the season, doesn't really solve any problems.
    Whatever you think of the morality of the situation, an important practical part of any coach's job is to run an organization that protects and promotes the university's image. By not following up on the original reports, JoePa failed at this in a big way. Keeping him in the job now just exacerbates the issue. Harsh? Sure, but that's the price you pay for being a public-facing icon at an institution that depends on public approval.

Canceling the Duke LAX season was probably motivated by similar things, but there it was the players getting punished, not the coach. Very different.

This really is unbelievable. It is all happening so fast that you can't make sense of any of it. I do think that they should have let Paterno stay for the time being though.

Quote Originally Posted by g-money View Post
    Funny, my immediate reaction was that this is just like when Mike Pressler was fired.

I'm not trying to claim that Paterno will ultimately be exonerated; far from it. What I'm trying to say instead is that I find it absolutely stunning how fast the media has spun this up into a class 5 hurricane - with Paterno as its target. I wish there'd been at least some semblance of due process before this decision had been made.
    I originally thought that Paterno should be able to coach, but it would be a disaster to let him do it. The university couldn't let 100,000 people throw him a glorified retirement party with the backdrop of this investigation. When they would go on the road, it would subject the team, with players who have done nothing wrong, to much worse ridicule and hate from fans than they will get without Paterno there.

I know a few have thought that perhaps they shouldn't play, but the kids on the team deserve to have a chance to live out their own dreams. They are 8-1 and have a chance (not a great one, now) to win the Big Ten and the likely soon to be renamed Stagg-Paterno trophy. With that would come a trip to Pasadena. I don't think the board of trustees was too excited about the possibility of Paterno representing them in any bowl, let alone the Rose bowl. Anyway, these players likely won't be the targets of hate in the same way that the lacrosse players would have been 5 years ago since the players themselves are innocent of any wrongdoing and everyone knows that. Cancelling games on them would be completely inappropriate.

As for due process, even if the allegations all prove entirely false, Paterno still failed his moral responsibility to a point that it was a fire-able offense. He was still told that something sexually inappropriate was being done to a child and didn't take it to the police. Even if Sandusky didn't do it, you still have to take that info to the police and have it properly investigated and let the authorities figure out what happened. Paterno has already admitted that he should have done more.

All I care about is the victims and their families. The statement that the mother of one of the victims made is what sticks out for me. Saying that the President making comments of support for the AD instead of the victims just made them feel like victims all over again. I can only imagine how they would feel as all those PSU followers showered their love and devotion towards JoePa on Saturday. I am glad those families won't have to see that.

As for due process, even if the allegations all prove entirely false, Paterno still failed his moral responsibility to a point that it was a fire-able offense. He was still told that something sexually inappropriate was being done to a child and didn't take it to the police. Even if Sandusky didn't do it, you still have to take that info to the police and have it properly investigated and let the authorities figure out what happened. Paterno has already admitted that he should have done more.
    I'm sorry, it's tough for me to agree with this when the man has not even been given a chance to tell his side of the story.

I would suggest that Coach K and Joe Paterno are about equal in this regard. Duke is a fine institution with many facets deserving both praise and attention, but you ask the average Joe or Jane on the street what comes to mind when they think of Duke U. and Coach K will be the answer for most.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

I originally thought that Paterno should be able to coach, but it would be a disaster to let him do it. The university couldn't let 100,000 people throw him a glorified retirement party with the backdrop of this investigation. When they would go on the road, it would subject the team, with players who have done nothing wrong, to much worse ridicule and hate from fans than they will get without Paterno there.

I know a few have thought that perhaps they shouldn't play, but the kids on the team deserve to have a chance to live out their own dreams. They are 8-1 and have a chance (not a great one, now) to win the Big Ten and the likely soon to be renamed Stagg-Paterno trophy. With that would come a trip to Pasadena. I don't think the board of trustees was too excited about the possibility of Paterno representing them in any bowl, let alone the Rose bowl. Anyway, these players likely won't be the targets of hate in the same way that the lacrosse players would have been 5 years ago since the players themselves are innocent of any wrongdoing and everyone knows that. Cancelling games on them would be completely inappropriate.

This is pretty much my line of reasoning for my original post.

It appears that they didn't even extend him the courtesy of a face to face meeting to let him go. I don't like the way this ended. Perhaps a face to face meeting could have gotten him to resign immediately. Perhaps they could have offered him another chance to resign. He could have easily said that given the attention given the situation, he thought it best to resign sooner than later to allow the team to concentrate on the game.

Paterno invited this with his statement earlier today:

"I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status."

Some might interpret this as genuinely trying to let the Board handle more serious matters, but it smacks of arrogance to me (not that being arrogant is grounds alone for hasty action).

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    I don't know if it played a factor or not, but Paterno's comments yesterday at the press conference saying the Board of Trustees shouldn't spend a minute discussing his future... perhaps not the wisest of statements to make in a nationally covered press conference just before they were to meet about his future(along with many other things). He might have wanted to make those statements face to face and not involved the national media before a decision had been made.
    I do think it probably was the best decision given the circumstances, but we also don't know everything that went on at the various meetings, let alone the legal matters at question.

Quote Originally Posted by g-money View Post
    I'm sorry, it's tough for me to agree with this when the man has not even been given a chance to tell his side of the story.
    Paterno has already given testimony about the case to a grand jury. And today he himself stated that he wished he had done more. Combine that with incredible nationwide surge of pressure on Penn State, and this was not a difficult decision. PSU was already going to feel the effects of this for a long time; if Paterno was allowed to finish the season, their name and reputation may have never recovered.

And yes, Paterno will eventually talk and may give further details on the matter. But based on what we know, including grand jury testimony from Paterno himself, it would take a stretch to imagine a scenario that would morally exonerate him.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    It appears that they didn't even extend him the courtesy of a face to face meeting to let him go. I don't like the way this ended.
    While I think the board had enough information to act, I agree with this. Much better to deal with this face to face than by phone.

From a former Penn Stater to the students, please, please, please do not riot tonight.

It's funny the school board spokesperson had to state that this decision was a business decision - understatement there. If they had an opportunity to do so 2 weeks ago, they would have voted (as a pure business decision) to bury the whole report and any evidence of it. School boards are self-serving, slimy, and pre-disposed to rushing their judgement.

Little Choice

First of all I think Paterno should probably have retired 10 years ago.

Failing that he should have realized that for him to coach the senior day game this Saturday at Penn State would be a travesty. And if he could not figure that out, then his son should have. He should have resigned this morning, if not yesterday.

The Board's only choice, in my opinion, was to either remove Paterno as coach or cancel the season.

I find it interesting that the Board apparently still thinks that they do not know much.

I will continue to wait for all the information before passing judgement on Paterno.

SoCal

Maybe Relevant

I heard from someone pretty close to Paterno that when this all happened, Paterno's brother was dying. He was gone back and forth between home, work, and the hospital. He reported to the AD and VP because that they would handle it correctly.

SoCal