Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thoughts from Coach K's press conference

I only heard the first 15 minutes, so folks can feel free to add to this. But here's the gist of it:

- One of our biggest problems last year was that we had smalls and bigs, and lacked versatility. We want to get more versatile this year.
    - We'll be a lot longer, more versatile, and more athletic on the perimeter. Coach K mentioned Murphy first and foremost, but noted that Jefferson will get some work on the perimeter too. He also mentioned Hairston would get some looks in practice on the perimeter. (I don't see that going too far, but who knows?)
    - Curry will focus more on scoring this year. Thornton, Cook, and Sulaimon will handle PG duties.
    - Kelly is fully healthy (not that there should have been much doubt, but it is confirmed) and working on his game in Vegas. (snicker)
    - Spoke about last year's team lacking leadership, and said that the "three seniors - Mason, Ryan, and Seth" will provide that next year. I didn't hear the Dawkins redshirt comment, but it sounds like that was later confirmed.
    - Talked about Cook's injury and how it kept him from being able to prepare for the season. Compared it to Paulus' senior season, when he lost a lot of offseason time and regressed as a senior. Hopefully Cook will be a very different player this year.
    - Talked about needing to play more pressure defense on the perimeter. He felt that was lacking last year. Said that the team defense overall was mediocre last year and they're working to improve it.

Interesting stuff.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I only heard the first 15 minutes, so folks can feel free to add to this. But here's the gist of it:

- One of our biggest problems last year was that we had smalls and bigs, and lacked versatility. We want to get more versatile this year.
    - We'll be a lot longer, more versatile, and more athletic on the perimeter. Coach K mentioned Murphy first and foremost, but noted that Jefferson will get some work on the perimeter too. He also mentioned Hairston would get some looks in practice on the perimeter. (I don't see that going too far, but who knows?)
    - Curry will focus more on scoring this year. Thornton, Cook, and Sulaimon will handle PG duties.
    - Kelly is fully healthy (not that there should have been much doubt, but it is confirmed) and working on his game in Vegas. (snicker)
    - Spoke about last year's team lacking leadership, and said that the "three seniors - Mason, Ryan, and Seth" will provide that next year. I didn't hear the Dawkins redshirt comment, but it sounds like that was later confirmed.
    - Talked about Cook's injury and how it kept him from being able to prepare for the season. Compared it to Paulus' senior season, when he lost a lot of offseason time and regressed as a senior. Hopefully Cook will be a very different player this year.
    - Talked about needing to play more pressure defense on the perimeter. He felt that was lacking last year. Said that the team defense overall was mediocre last year and they're working to improve it.

Interesting stuff.
    That was the gist of the Duke part. The rest was Olympics, a brief discussion on Penn State, where K went Snarky on a guy for trying to frame him into a corner, but then handled it well. The end was a 30 second blurb on Andre redshirting and K took no questions on that topic.

I only heard the last 15 minutes, so maybe between us we can piece the whole thing together It was mostly non-Duke stuff
    - he was asked about his previous comments about Paterno, which he restated and clarified
    - he was also asked about the new NCAA statement that defines the block/charge call. He said that he hadn't looked at it yet, but also thinks having the arc in the NBA has caused officials to assume that any play outside the arc is automatically a charge, because they're looking at the defender's feet and not at the play itself. Interesting observation.
    - was asked about how the Olympic team commitments affect his Duke team, and he said that Capel and Nate will be working with them on "footwork and balance," which he sees as being key components of defense.
    - and as we are discussing in the other thread, he did confirm that Andre will be redshirted

Ryan Kelly has fully recovered from his injury and is currently working out in Las Vegas.

Mason Plumlee is on an internship and working out in Chicago.

Coach said that all the Duke players are currently in good health.

Andre Dawkins will redshirt this coming season and details were not given for reasons of Dawkins personal privacy.

Coach K said that last seasons team was not good defensively out front and not big enough and that they would be better equipped to use on ball pressure this season. He mentioned that Duke would be longer out front as well.

Alex Murphy left two days ago for Finland to play on the Finnish National Team. His Mom played for their national team as well. He said Murph would get a lot of playing time.

Coach K said this years team would bee more versatile and that three senior leaders would help in Mason, Ryan and Seth.

Coach K said Seth Curry will play off by more to hunt his shot and that Thornton, Cook and Sulaimon would be the main ball handlers if the season were to start today.

Coach said the one and done mentality has always existed but that players were quicker to leave when their was controversy or tough situations now, more so than in the past.He then segued into the fact some kids leave before the book is written an referred to the 2010 team where senior blossomed.

A peeve of his was that the transfer rate is out of control in college basketball and that there were more than 450 kids going to different schools. He mentioned that the NCAA was not doing much about it and that college hoops needed a governing body to discuss issues like is happening on college football and the play off scenarios.

Coach also said there are no real recruiting philosophies with concern to kids in the current climate hen asked if he would go about things differently losing Kyrie Irving and Austin Rivers back to back.

He also said that Rivers and Miles Plumlee were expected to do well in the upcoming NBA Draft and that former players help the Duke image with prospects and perceptions.

It was not mentioned that Josh Hairston was losing weight in the off season but it was mentioned that he could play more perimeter as well as the aforementioned Murphy. K said having a 6-8 wing in Murphy would stretch the court and allow Duke to do some different things.

Coach K said Marshall Plumlee was up to 24 and his redshirt season would help him. He likes his work ethic and enthusiasm and mentioned his toughness as well.

Coach K felt his perimeter a season ago was too small to defend at a high level and mentioned their lack of adjustment after Kelly went down. He said on ball pressure would be addressed int he off season as well as concepts on how to defend out front.

Back to transfers, K mentioned that he felt they were recruited harder than prospect at this time and implied the battles were vicious and studies needed to be done for change and control. He mentioned some teams trying to help their APR as well which has sidelines UConn of late.

Coach said that he faces challenges with Team USA from a condensed NBA seasons and injuries and they have yet to finalize a roster. He glowed when talking about Russell Westbrook and his play and scoffed at so many analyst having his game under the microscope mentioning he was just 24 years old. He said LeBron Jame would play for sure and that some kids learned in different ways and that he had to get through some lessons but that he was a specially gifted player.

Coach said that incoming freshman Rasheed Sulaimon played well and that he would grow from the experience and that all players did while playing international basketball.

When questioned whether it bothered him that N.C. State and North Carolina seemed to be getting more love he quipped I like what we've done and prefer to talk about that. He gave a bit of a sly smile and there is good reason for that. My take is let people overlook us for that is exactly what we want them do. And if you truly know hoops, then you realize Duke will be just fine this coming season and in their customary position at the top of the league when all is said and done

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Ryan Kelly has fully recovered from his injury and is currently working out in Las Vegas.

Mason Plumlee is on an internship and working out in Chicago.

Coach said that all the Duke players are currently in good health.

Andre Dawkins will redshirt this coming season and details were not given for reasons of Dawkins personal privacy.

Coach K said that last seasons team was not good defensively out front and not big enough and that they would be better equipped to use on ball pressure this season. He mentioned that Duke would be longer out front as well.

Alex Murphy left two days ago for Finland to play on the Finnish National Team. His Mom played for their national team as well. He said Murph would get a lot of playing time.

Coach K said this years team would bee more versatile and that three senior leaders would help in Mason, Ryan and Seth.

Coach K said Seth Curry will play off by more to hunt his shot and that Thornton, Cook and Sulaimon would be the main ball handlers if the season were to start today.

Coach said the one and done mentality has always existed but that players were quicker to leave when their was controversy or tough situations now, more so than in the past.He then segued into the fact some kids leave before the book is written an referred to the 2010 team where senior blossomed.

A peeve of his was that the transfer rate is out of control in college basketball and that there were more than 450 kids going to different schools. He mentioned that the NCAA was not doing much about it and that college hoops needed a governing body to discuss issues like is happening on college football and the play off scenarios.

Coach also said there are no real recruiting philosophies with concern to kids in the current climate hen asked if he would go about things differently losing Kyrie Irving and Austin Rivers back to back.

He also said that Rivers and Miles Plumlee were expected to do well in the upcoming NBA Draft and that former players help the Duke image with prospects and perceptions.

It was not mentioned that Josh Hairston was losing weight in the off season but it was mentioned that he could play more perimeter as well as the aforementioned Murphy. K said having a 6-8 wing in Murphy would stretch the court and allow Duke to do some different things.

Coach K said Marshall Plumlee was up to 24 and his redshirt season would help him. He likes his work ethic and enthusiasm and mentioned his toughness as well.

Coach K felt his perimeter a season ago was too small to defend at a high level and mentioned their lack of adjustment after Kelly went down. He said on ball pressure would be addressed int he off season as well as concepts on how to defend out front.

Back to transfers, K mentioned that he felt they were recruited harder than prospect at this time and implied the battles were vicious and studies needed to be done for change and control. He mentioned some teams trying to help their APR as well which has sidelines UConn of late.

Coach said that he faces challenges with Team USA from a condensed NBA seasons and injuries and they have yet to finalize a roster. He glowed when talking about Russell Westbrook and his play and scoffed at so many analyst having his game under the microscope mentioning he was just 24 years old. He said LeBron Jame would play for sure and that some kids learned in different ways and that he had to get through some lessons but that he was a specially gifted player.

Coach said that incoming freshman Rasheed Sulaimon played well and that he would grow from the experience and that all players did while playing international basketball.

When questioned whether it bothered him that N.C. State and North Carolina seemed to be getting more love he quipped I like what we've done and prefer to talk about that. He gave a bit of a sly smile and there is good reason for that. My take is let people overlook us for that is exactly what we want them do. And if you truly know hoops, then you realize Duke will be just fine this coming season and in their customary position at the top of the league when all is said and done
    That Marshall Plumlee weight is 240 not 24. At least that's how I remember it.

K also mentioned Jefferson as a possible (not exclusively) perimeter defender.

He also indicated that he wanted Curry to concentrate on playing off the ball and mentioned Cook, Thornton and Sulaimon could all play point.

Your pitch forks breed like rabbits, Jim The more you have, the less typo's you make. I didn't think the Paterno stuff was worth mentioning but you may want to add to that.

Your pitch forks breed like rabbits, Jim The more you have, the less typo's you make. I didn't think the Paterno stuff was worth mentioning but you may want to add to that.
    Don't think the Paterno stuff is worth mentioning either. K didn't add anything today and it's pretty tangential to Duke hoops.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    That Marshall Plumlee weight is 240 not 24. At least that's how I remember it.

K also mentioned Jefferson as a possible (not exclusively) perimeter defender.

He also indicated that he wanted Curry to concentrate on playing off the ball and mentioned Cook, Thornton and Sulaimon could all play point.

From 215 senior year to 240 today? This is pretty impressive and along with practices last year should help Marshall get some good court time.

Quote Originally Posted by milkbone View Post
    From 215 senior year to 240 today? This is pretty impressive and along with practices last year should help Marshall get some good court time.
    And henson only went from 190 to 216 in three years at unc? must have been all that cardio walking to swahili class that kept him from puttin on the pounds.

"Mason Plumlee is on an internship and working out in Chicago."

Let's hope he is working on his post moves as well.

I guess we'll be longer at the 3 by playing a true forward there most of the time in murphy, amile or hairston, instead of a 6'4"/6'5" guard like we did last year (Dre or Austin), but it seems to me our size at the 1 or 2 isn't going to change. Thornton and Cook will get 35-40 minutes at the 1, and Seth/Sheed should get 35-40 at the 2. Sheed has solid length at the 2, but the other guys are just average size

So you make up for lack of size with quickness (and good hands, smarts and craftiness). IMO, Tyler and Seth are just limited athletically in their quickness, so there's not a lot that can be done to change that. So it really seems to fall on Quinn or Sheed. I just don't expect Sheed to start and play 20+mpg though, so it really falls on Quinn. He had the knee injury last year and has this off season to get healthy and work on his quickness and defense. No one can say whether it will happen, but we have to hope it will, otherwise we're in for another potentially short March.

I'm sure this will shock no one, but I think a lot of this team's success will be correlated with how much Quinn improves as a sophomore. If he can win the starting PG job, hit a decent % from 3, and play better defense, we become a real force to be reckoned with...the most important improvement though has to be on defense. Someone has to be able to guard an opponent's quick PG/scorer, and the only people we can legitimately expect that from are Quinn and Sheed, and again, I don't expect Sheed to play enough to make that impact. (I would be happy to be wrong on the Sheed point, but logically, its tough to see him displacing Seth at the 2 or Quinn & Tyler at the 1, so he'll play backup minutes at both spots and be effective when I'm in, but he won't become a starter and 25-30mpg guy until next year.)
    Last edited by SilkyJ; 06-21-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
    "Mason Plumlee is on an internship and working out in Chicago."

Let's hope he is working on his post moves as well.
    He actually works on the floor above me in my office building (needless to say I was startled the first time I was on the elevator with him and did a triple-take).
    Windy City Devil

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I guess we'll be longer at the 3 by playing a true forward there most of the time in murphy, amile or hairston, instead of a 6'4"/6'5" guard like we did last year (Dre or Austin), but it seems to me our size at the 1 or 2 isn't going to change. Thornton and Cook will get 35-40 minutes at the 1, and Seth/Sheed should get 35-40 at the 2. Sheed has solid length at the 2, but the other guys are just average size

So you make up for lack of size with quickness (and good hands, smarts and craftiness). IMO, Tyler and Seth are just limited athletically in their quickness, so there's not a lot that can be done to change that. So it really seems to fall on Quinn or Sheed. I just don't expect Sheed to start and play 20+mpg though, so it really falls on Quinn. He had the knee injury last year and has this off season to get healthy and work on his quickness and defense. No one can say whether it will happen, but we have to hope it will, otherwise we're in for another potentially short March.

I'm sure this will shock no one, but I think a lot of this team's success will be correlated with how much Quinn improves as a sophomore. If he can win the starting PG job, hit a decent % from 3, and play better defense, we become a real force to be reckoned with...the most important improvement though has to be on defense. Someone has to be able to guard an opponent's quick PG/scorer, and the only people we can legitimately expect that from are Quinn and Sheed, and again, I don't expect Sheed to play enough to make that impact. (I would be happy to be wrong on the Sheed point, but logically, its tough to see him displacing Seth at the 2 or Quinn & Tyler at the 1, so he'll play backup minutes at both spots and be effective when I'm in, but he won't become a starter and 25-30mpg guy until next year.)
    Your overall take makes sense, but I'd guess we see Sheed for more minutes, whether that involves the traditional 2 spot, or some PG on occcasion, or SF/Wing.
    25 minutes plus, maybe 30? I just think he's that good (esp. defensively) and K will find ways to utilize him.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Your overall take makes sense, but I'd guess we see Sheed for more minutes, whether that involves the traditional 2 spot, or some PG on occcasion, or SF/Wing.
    25 minutes plus, maybe 30? I just think he's that good (esp. defensively) and K will find ways to utilize him.
    Sorry Silky, but have to agree with Roy here. Rasheed is going to play and play a lot. Especially with Andre out of the mix. He has great tools and I feel he is going to be ready to contribute from day 1. Hope that does not jinx him, but thats how I see this kid.

One other thing, I will give pitchfork points to everyone who refuses to refer to him as "Sheed". Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. Surely we can come up with a non-unc-cheat related nickname that is a little more creative..

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Sorry Silky, but have to agree with Roy here. Rasheed is going to play and play a lot. Especially with Andre out of the mix. He has great tools and I feel he is going to be ready to contribute from day 1. Hope that does not jinx him, but thats how I see this kid.

One other thing, I will give pitchfork points to everyone who refuses to refer to him as "Sheed". Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. Surely we can come up with a non-unc-cheat related nickname that is a little more creative..
    ^I've taken to calling him "Sully" - although that invokes Jared Sullinger and I'm not a huge fan. But I suppose I'm counting on our "Sully" blotting out any thoughts of good old Jared.

I completely empathize with your pet peeve though. I can't stand the nickname of "RoboCop" (don't know if that's used as much here as elsewhere) and I wish people would just call Alex Murhpy something simple like "Murph". Minimalism, people!

Do you prefer "Rash"?

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Do you prefer "Rash"?
    Good one!

How bout "Raz"? Razor? Ramon?

Anything beats the other one..

Surely we can come up with a non-unc-cheat related nickname that is a little more creative..
    Save the pitchforks for more deserving posters, but....

I prefer Sula Mon! It refers [by barely, if at all, changing the pronunciation] to Rasheed's surname by combining the title of a novel I like, Toni Morrison's Sula, with a generic reference to Jamaica, always a plus. I'm pretty sure that Rasheed will in an honors course have written a comparative book review-essay of Sula and Russell Banks's The Book of Jamaica. Pretty sure.... seems like he would have done, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    I wish people would just call Alex Murhpy something simple like "Murph". Minimalism, people!
    I stick with Early AM. Seems minimal enough.

I will give pitchfork points to everyone who refuses to refer to him as "Sheed". Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. Surely we can come up with a non-unc-cheat related nickname that is a little more creative..
    I favor "the Magnificent," even if the spelling of the last names are a little different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suleiman_the_Magnificent