Mark Bradley column on The Landlord

Mark Bradley has a column up on The Landlord. Seems he's not a fan.

(I think maybe Bradley's UK roots are showing.)

As several respondents to the column noted, Sheldon put up good numbers when he got the minutes. But because Shelden produces quietly and without a lot of flash, he doesn't get the respect he deserves.

As Bradley put it:
    He scored because he got fouled a lot, not because he was an accomplished finisher.
    Which sounds to me like a quiet but effective big man. (Aren't big men supposed to draw fouls?)

Quote Originally Posted by Spoke View Post
    Mark Bradley has a column up on The Landlord. Seems he's not a fan.

(I think maybe Bradley's UK roots are showing.)

As several respondents to the column noted, Sheldon put up good numbers when he got the minutes. But because Shelden produces quietly and without a lot of flash, he doesn't get the respect he deserves.

As Bradley put it:

Which sounds to me like a quiet but effective big man. (Aren't big men supposed to draw fouls?)
    I'm not normally one to criticize sports media people. I mean, it seems like a dream job to me. But Mark Bradley. Honestly, I don't know how he's managed to keep a job. I read his column for a few years then stopped because his insight on things were proven wrong time after time after time after time. Whether it be the Braves, Georgia Tech, Duke, whoever. He is almost always way off on things. And when he makes predictions, I'd bet he's wrong 80 - 90 percent of the time. I just think he's awful at his craft.

A good example is the one you pointed out - a big man getting to the foul line. YES, that's part of what they are supposed to do - and not only does it get you points, it helps put the other team at a disadvantage due to foul trouble. My goodness. The Landlord was a rookie last year. I think he's going to end up being a solid NBA player and the fact Bradley thinks otherwise is a good sign for Shelden. Mark Bradley. What a tool bag.

-EarlJam

Shel

That article was absolute trash. The comments section provides much more insight and good writing than the pro did. I think it's just another case of Duke-bashing. I remember when some Cavs fans were saying the same of Carlos Boozer after his rookie year, and though he got traded, he's playing awesome now. The same complaints were lodged at him, too small to be a center, not good/athletic enough to be a "true" PF. Shel is very strong and athletic, a good shot-blocker and a good team player, none of which can be said of ZsaZsa Gabor, er uh, Pachulia. Zo Wright is on the down side of his career and might not even make the team. Add to that, Al Horford has done absolutely nothing in the NBA yet and could not generate enough buzz on his own team to be a "superstar" at UF. He's got lots of talent and a good up-side, but the article should have focused on what a bad pick Horford was for the Hawks who are already loaded at the PF/C spot when they needed a PG, and Horford is not a PG. Anyway, the Hawks as an organization deerve lots of criticism, but not for trying to develop a 2nd year 1st rnd draft pick.

On the money Earljam. Next time Bradley is right will be the first. The Hawks needed to fire Woody and put Drew in charge. My guess, BK fought to keep Woody on a while longer (he refused to let Drew go even though Drew wanted to).

If Drew is in charge, Shelden and others will get touches in the paint. Shelden is a very good decision maker. Knows when he "has" a guy, and when he doesn't. In the latter situation, he gets rid of it and to appropriate people, but won't "sit on it." In the former, we all know that he can hurt some people.

The Hawks are not good at getting the ball inside. The only guy they really look to get it to inside is JJ when he posts up. They used to also look for Harrington.

Smith slows that offense down in the half court. He is very effective uptempo, but otherwise, as a three, kills continuity, and cannot penetrate the defense with the pass. He is the guy I would move; and he should be someone whom the Hawks could get real value for.

Drew I think would be a big improvement to Woody. Until the ownership thing works its way out, and hopefully my boy Belkin (Cornell 69) is in, they will not I have to guess go outside the organization for a coach. Drew is a princeton type offense guy. Woody is like his namesake from Ohio State; thinks offense is something to do after you beat the crap out of the other guys on defense.

I believe that you play your best defense after you exhibit mastery as a team and individually over the other guys in putting the ball in the hoop. That's why we are attracted to the game. Working in synergy to score.

Hopefully, with Horford's arrival, even Woody will be forced to focus everyone's awarenesses on the need to get the thing inside for touches. If that is the case. Shelden's game can only benefit. Bradley is an idiot. But then again, BK and Woody ain't exactly knocked my socks off either.
    Last edited by greybeard; 07-13-2007 at 01:44 PM.

"He scored because he got fouled a lot, not because he was an accomplished finisher. "

-------------
    Wow, I guess this UK guy Badley (accidental typo about his article - Bradley)is not a big fan of Tyler Hansbrough either.

Who do these big guys think they are scoring the old fashioned way and in the process getting the opponent in foul trouble which turns into even more of the same cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieUGA View Post
    I remember when some Cavs fans were saying the same of Carlos Boozer after his rookie year, and though he got traded, he's playing awesome now.
    Carlos was never traded, and the Cavs wanted to keep him on the team. They even canceled a year of his contract so that they could resign him for more, but Carlos went and signed with the JAzz instead for more money.

That column might be suspect, but Shelden would probably benefit from a trade to the right team. Atlanta almost has to trade someone, don't they?

Rookie seasons

Yes- let's judge every player's potential after their rookie season. These numbers told it all. Steve Nash averaged 3.3 points a game his first season with the Suns- he should have gone back to Canada- a waste of a first round pick. His future teammate Dirk Nowitzki averaged 8.2. Clearly that guy was another Euro stiff. Let's not forget Kobe who could barely manage 7 ppg. Clearly should have gone to college. Yep, you can tell a lot after a single season in the league. Players never get better.

I saw Shelden and the Hawks twice last year. Shelden seemed to accumulate fouls pretty quickly on D. But I also saw him make some impressive plays. He's young, as dukelifer notes, and he can still develop consistency as he adjusts to the game. I think if Shelden ends up with the right team, good coaching (i.e., that he can continue to develop as a player) he'll do well. But I doubt ATL is the place for that. It seems to be limbo, at best, for talented players, and a graveyard for coaches.

The Hawks need a quality PG something fierce. That's their biggest hindrance to more Ws, as well as more impressive numbers from Marvin and Shelden, IMO. We'll see if Acie Law IV is the answer. They need someone truly speedy.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    The Hawks need a quality PG something fierce. That's their biggest hindrance to more Ws, as well as more impressive numbers from Marvin and Shelden, IMO. We'll see if Acie Law IV is the answer. They need someone truly speedy.
    I think you mean they need someone other than Speedy. That Claxton kid is going to go down as one of the worst free-agent signing around

The newspapers and sportstalk guys in Atlanta are raving about Acie and say he will push for the starting PG job from day one. I hope they are right.

-Jason "Woodson's coaching really hurt Shel last year as the ball never, ever went to Shel in the post" Evans

The speedy thing was a pun. I was in the "quick reply mode" so no winky smileys were readily available. Unless this works ;-)

They need more than Acie, too. What if he gets hurt? Tyronn Lue isn't leading them to the playoffs.

The Hawks really remind me of the pre-Brand LA Clippers. I just don't get the feeling they're all that concerned about winning. Is there too little of a downside to losing in the NBA? Too much revenue sharing? I don't know. All I know if that I cannot detect any sense of urgency there. They put on a decent carnival of everything surrounding the game, they often play well enough to make it interesting, yet they rarely win. Maybe if they spent less on those infernal "thundersticks"...

Shelden makes a statement in summer league play:

Williams banged his way to game-highs in points (23) and rebounds (11) in the Hawks' 79-68 win over San Antonio.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    He's young, as dukelifer notes, and he can still develop consistency as he adjusts to the game.
    He's not that young by NBA standards. He will be 24 by the time the season starts.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    He's not that young by NBA standards. He will be 24 by the time the season starts.
    That's not old for a big man, though. It generally takes them longer to find their groove.