Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I have to say I am stunned. I thought for the past two weeks that we lost mostly because of play-calling but the defense played very well (mostly)! The defense is horrible in this game. And really, how angry are the Blue Devils as they said in the opening? I keep hoping and praying that we will put it together and pull out a big win. The defense will never get it together if they have to stay on the field all day. What is WRONG with this offense?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsOnMyMind View Post
    I have to say I am stunned. I thought for the past two weeks that we lost mostly because of play-calling but the defense played very well (mostly)! The defense is horrible in this game. And really, how angry are the Blue Devils as they said in the opening? I keep hoping and praying that we will put it together and pull out a big win. The defense will never get it together if they have to stay on the field all day. What is WRONG with this offense?
    This is the first time I've been able to watch any Duke football for extended length of time. I believe those of you who have said that the program is in significantly better shape than it was, say, five years ago.

This game so far shows no evidence of that.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Here's another major key, G. A bold key, doesn't lend itself to the lyricism of the virtuoso violin but generally a key suited to full orchestral interpretation (Eine kleine Nachtmusik, The Star Spangled Banner originally, Devo's "Whip It").
    Duke football is more like e-flat minor. I'm thinking about the desolation of Shostakovich's last string quartet here.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsOnMyMind View Post
    It may be difficult to sort out all the psychological factors, but it is very clear that Miami is playing hard, fast football.... much like State did against Carolina in the 12:30P game.

I was at the VT game last week; I saw how well our defense played. That wasn't a fluke. Miami is playing at a very high level in this game and the margin of error we can handle continues to be very small.

Have to give the offense credit for not hanging their heads there and putting together a nice drive. I really, REALLY want to praise this team and be positive, but, dang...they make it hard sometimes!

I hope maybe this is the start of us coming back in this game to at least make it respectable. Of course, I'd love to storm back and win but, at this point, I'll gladly take respectable.

"I'll gladly take respectable."

respectable would be hard to define in a way that could be met.

Duke (no)D

The first play on the most recent Miami scoring drive to go up 28-3 was the poorest display of football I've seen in sometime. A quick throw out to the sideline to the WR with the Duke CB playing 12 yards off the WR behind the first down line then whiffing on the tackle...embarassing.

We "whiff" on tackles a lot. I wish my knowledge of the game allowed me to understand it better, but I just don't get it. The only thing I can think of is that our defense lacks the speed to get in proper position to tackle and thus we either "whiff" or, if we do make contact, fail to actually tackle the opposing player. Like the sideways passing game and the platooning of QB's this feature of recent Duke Football teams drives me insane in the membrane!!!

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Duke football is more like e-flat minor. I'm thinking about the desolation of Shostakovich's last string quartet here.
    I thought you might have said Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring". Spring Football, the season of Duke's full glory, when hope springs eternal but to end tragically as a sacrifice to the football gods, as proven today.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    I thought you might have said Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring". Spring Football, the season of Duke's full glory, when hope springs eternal but to end tragically as a sacrifice to the football gods, as proven today.
    Hmm, good call.

Or Janáček's Káťa Kabanová. Things start out with a glimmer of hope, but at the end she drowns in the Volga.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

The good news is that I just discovered these unholy proceedings can be viewed in crisp HD on Fox Sports West, instead of through a standard def glass darkly on ESPN GamePlan.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

The score is disappointing, but I like the way our players are not giving up.

We caught Miami at a bad time. Coming off a loss they have played inspired football today. I've been more impressed with their good play than depressed about our bad play.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Hmm, good call.

Or Janáček's Káťa Kabanová. Things start out with a glimmer of hope, but at the end she drowns in the Volga.
    Then there's always Hambone McGee's "Ode To Billy Ray". Ahh, the poignant and tragic lives of those Georgia 'shine runners.

Quote Originally Posted by 6th Man View Post
    We caught Miami at a bad time. Coming off a loss they have played inspired football today. I've been more impressed with their good play than depressed about our bad play.
    You're on the money.

The only surprise on the 4th down play was that the network didn't go to a commercial prior to the snap. Enough already!

Oh my god, enough already with that ridiculous QB package!

And...another promising drive ends in 0 points and lots of frustration for players and fans alike thanks to passes completed BEHIND the line of scrimmage and subbing in for Boone so that everyone and their momma knows what's coming. Mind boggling

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    The only surprise on the 4th down play was that the network didn't go to a commercial prior to the snap. Enough already!
    Actually the only surprise is that it wasn't a false start. So frustrating.

Was there anybody in the stadium that didn't know what was coming. I'm sick of that stupid play. Roper you are killing me!