Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    The fifteen was the 10+5 for hall-of-fame eligibilty...

I do think he will play out his contract though, especially since Anaheim has a DH. You don't need much of a pulse to play 1st base though.
    HOF eligibility is ten years in MLB, five years out. He's already got the 10.

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    The fifteen was the 10+5 for hall-of-fame eligibility...

I do think he will play out his contract though, especially since Anaheim has a DH. You don't need much of a pulse to play 1st base though.
    OIC. My bad.

Still, that would be ten seasons there after eleven here. And Cooperstown decides which hat, not the player. And presumably, the body of work here will be more outstanding than the body of work in Anaheim. The Cardinals would still have a good shot, wouldn't they? OTOH, most of the milestone-chasing will occur in Anaheim. HRs, 3000 hits.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    HOF eligibility is ten years in MLB, five years out. He's already got the 10.
    I suspect the 10 in Alaskan Bear's post was the length of his current contract.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    As a reasonably non-biased observer (my teams are the Yankees, No. 1 and the Braves, No. 2), let me opine that the best thing the Cards have going for them is their division.
    A-men! The imbalance in the NL toward the NL East is huge. A good case can be made that every team in that division is in the top half, perhaps even top third, of the NL. Most of them have extremely bright futures too, with very well-stocked farm systems.

Sigh.

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    A-men! The imbalance in the NL toward the NL East is huge. A good case can be made that every team in that division is in the top half, perhaps even top third, of the NL.
    You don't spend much time in Queens, do you?

the NL East

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    A-men! The imbalance in the NL toward the NL East is huge. A good case can be made that every team in that division is in the top half, perhaps even top third, of the NL. Most of them have extremely bright futures too, with very well-stocked farm systems.

Sigh.

-Jason
    Jason, hate to quibble with you since you were agreeing with me, but I would offer one exception to the depth of power in the NL East -- the fading NY Mets.

Interesting piece of ESPN today, talking about the teams with a chance of 100 losses in 2012. The Mets are very prominent in that debate. Plus their long-tern prospects are not great with the Wilpons undergoing major financial problems (they were caught in the Bernie Madoff mess).

But the rest of the NL East -- wow! The Phillies remain the most talented team in the NL (with the biggest payroll) and the Braves own more good pitching than anybody in the game. The Nationals are poised to take a major leap and even the Marlins are loaded with talented young players if they don't implode.

Kind of like the AL East. I have friends who are big Baltimore Oriole fans. I feel for them, I really do. They remain mired in mediocrity in a division that doesn't give them a chance. The Yanks, the Rays, the Red Sox are juggernauts. Even the Blue Jays are a talented young team. How sdo the O's climb out of that hole?

Better for teams like the Pirates or Astros ... they may be bad, but they only need to make a little improvement to contend in their divisions.

I have friends who are big Baltimore Oriole fans. I feel for them, I really do. They remain mired in mediocrity in a division that doesn't give them a chance.
    I don't have any brilliant insights but the discussions in our family of baseball lunatics indicates that the O's have a very nice young stable of talent coming up and in. I think they are going to make some noise.

Jason, hate to quibble with you since you were agreeing with me, but I would offer one exception to the depth of power in the NL East -- the fading NY Mets.

Interesting piece of ESPN today, talking about the teams with a chance of 100 losses in 2012. The Mets are very prominent in that debate. Plus their long-tern prospects are not great with the Wilpons undergoing major financial problems (they were caught in the Bernie Madoff mess).
    The Mets are bringing back "Banner Day" this year - which reinforces the ties to early atrocious (but lovable) teams - except these guys are not lovable

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I don't have any brilliant insights but the discussions in our family of baseball lunatics indicates that the O's have a very nice young stable of talent coming up and in. I think they are going to make some noise.
    I read the other day that the last team other than the Yankees to have the highest payroll in MLB was the '98 Orioles. How times change.

young talent?

Hate to be negative here, but my understanding is that the Oriole have one of the weakest farm systems in baseball. I can't cite a recent link, but here's Ken Rosenthal's take from last May (I doubt it's turned around since then):

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/b...lacking-022911

Sorry Weezie, as I gotta chip in too...

Baseball America, the defacto bible of baseball prospects/drafts/farm systems, in March of 2011 ranked the Orioles' farm system in the bottom third of baseball, at number 21 of 30.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...1/2611472.html

Really good breakdown of the Orioles Farm System as of last month:
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2612770.html
    But check out this snippet: For every positive step the Orioles seem to take—trading for Adam Jones or drafting Matt Wieters—they take several negative ones, such as drafting Matt Hobgood, their 2009 No. 5 overall pick who already looks like a wasted selection, or grasping at players like Felix Pie, who have intriguing tools but not the aptitude to maximize them. .... Down below, the farm system has premium prospects in recent top-five choices Dylan Bundy and Manny Machado, but little in the way of legitimate major league talent behind them.

Top ten Orioles Prospects:
    1. Dylan Bundy, rhp
    2. Manny Machado, ss
    3. Jon Schoop, inf
    4. Parker Bridwell, rhp
    5. L.J. Hoes, of/2b
    6. Nicky Delmonico, 3b/1b
    7. Ryan Flaherty, inf/of
    8. Jason Esposito, 3b
    9. Xavier Avery, of
    10. Dan Klein, rhp

Angelos and many Orioles die-hards like to point to the (valid) issue that they play in the toughest division in baseball, which includes the perennial top 2 payrolls in baseball (BOS & NYY). But when you are ranked 28th in MLB overall, it doesn't much matter WHAT division you play in... Last is last.
    Angelos must go.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    OIC. My bad.

Still, that would be ten seasons there after eleven here. And Cooperstown decides which hat, not the player. And presumably, the body of work here will be more outstanding than the body of work in Anaheim. The Cardinals would still have a good shot, wouldn't they? OTOH, most of the milestone-chasing will occur in Anaheim. HRs, 3000 hits.
    There is a good shot Albert goes in as a Cardinal -- hard to beat two WS. Now, if the Angels win a WS or two it becomes much more of a toss up. But regardless of how he goes into the hall -- part of his Angels contract is a 10 year "Personal Services Contract" at $1mil per year, tying Albert to the Angels post-career. Art Moreno is one hell of a business man -- that is a brilliant contract clause.

It's much more than HRs and 3000 hits. Even running his stats with a regression model of (20-25%) Albert is going to challenge all of the major records except the all-time Hits. Using a very simplistic regression (a little more than 25% decrease in HRs and Doubles and Total Bases, a 20% reduction in hits, runs, rbi's), Albert will break the RBI record, the Total Base Record, come within 20-30 HRs of Barry Bonds, less than 10 runs from the all time Runs Scored, and be about 40 doubles away from the all time Doubles record.

Now consider the Park Factors...Angels stadium is actually a slightly better hitters park than Busch in STL. Power is about the same (slightest of edges to LA), but LA Angels is better for hits and doubles. I expect Pujols biggest decline to come in doubles, but also consider the park may mitigate some of that.

Now obviously a serious injury that takes more than a season and a half puts pretty much all those records just out of reach...but that is pretty crazy to think about...if he gets so close to the HR record its hard to see him not putting in the extra season or two to bang out another 20 HRs.

Anyways, I DO support the Cardinals and I hope we have a very successful 10-yr run, but we have an aging team and I don't see any really great talent coming through the pipes to suggest that we can let Pujols walk with few consequences long term.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    5. L.J. Hoes, of/2b
    I'm sorry, but that is powerful funny.

I assume it rhymes with Coos County, NH.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Cespedes to Miami

????????????????????????

Well, apparently Miami's shopping spree is not yet over this Winter. They have made an offer to Cuban defector and Center Fielder Cespedes in the $30-35M range. It seems that the Cubbies and Theo Epstein, once considered the favorites, may have backed off him some and are focusing more on CF Soler, also from Cuba and only 19, but apparently a couple years away from the majors. Soler is not yet officially available, but surely will be shortly.

Cespedes is described by his agent as a CF or Corner-OF prospect - though some teams view him (and his slightly stocky build, power bat) as more of a corner OF. Boy, the Marlins sure are trying hard to open that new stadium with a bang. I just wonder how long they hold this pricey core together this time, if they don't win any championships quickly. BTW, I think they need more pitching to get over the hump.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    ????????????????????????

Well, apparently Miami's shopping spree is not yet over this Winter. They have made an offer to Cuban defector and Center Fielder Cespedes in the $30-35M range. It seems that the Cubbies and Theo Epstein, once considered the favorites, may have backed off him some and are focusing more on CF Soler, also from Cuba and only 19, but apparently a couple years away from the majors. Soler is not yet officially available, but surely will be shortly.

Cespedes is described by his agent as a CF or Corner-OF prospect - though some teams view him (and his slightly stocky build, power bat) as more of a corner OF. Boy, the Marlins sure are trying hard to open that new stadium with a bang. I just wonder how long they hold this pricey core together this time, if they don't win any championships quickly. BTW, I think they need more pitching to get over the hump.

I think this kid will be a big time bust in the majors. His swing is too long and MLB pitchers are pretty good at pitching to weaknessess.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug.I.Am View Post
    I think this kid will be a big time bust in the majors. His swing is too long and MLB pitchers are pretty good at pitching to weaknessess.
    Well if he's a bust, he'll be a bust in Oakland.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Well if he's a bust, he'll be a bust in Oakland.
    Moneyball just spent a lot of it I see to the tune of 36 mill over 4 years. A lot for a guy who is 26 and probably headed for the minors. Imagine if he goes down and can''t hit .250... Can you say "Igawa" Yankee fans?

Not Sure What the A's are doing...

Really not sure what the A's are doing here...

In a Division (AL West) with at least two other monster programs are they rebuilding for the new stadium in 2-3 years, or are they trying to compete?? Over the last 2 months they traded away most of their pitching strength, but now pull the trigger to the tune of (just) 4 years and $36M. Biggest deal ever - topping Cincy and Chapman from 2 years ago - for a player fresh out of Cuba. Given the spotty record of defecting Cubans, this is quite the gamble. Very odd for a team that was supposedly looking four years out.

The deal gets him to free agency in just four years or at 30 years old - something the Marlins and Cubs weren't apparently going to do.

I suspect he'll end up spending a couple months in the minors maybe, first, but not like Oakland has a boatload of talent in front of him! This still leaves the A's in a distant-third or fourth place in the division though.

Mr. Cespedes is a premium athlete with lots of raw power, plenty of speed, and a strong arm. Apparently there's questions about his BA/OBP and defensive value. Hmmmm.

So, who will the Marlins go after to give that cash to now?!?

As a long time Oakland fan and big time Wolff/Fisher doubter, I must say that this gamble seems to be worth watching. It is a lot of money and Cespedes' track record is essentially unknown. He's never even seen minor league pitching, much less major league, though I'm sure there is talent in Cuba. Even if Cespedes can hit major league pitchers, it will take a big adjustment.

So what does all this mean? Well, on Friday, my wife and I go to our season ticket holders group and start buying our share. Will it be a waste? Will my baseball jones get satisfied by seeing major leaguers beat up on our AAA's? Or will the AAA's actually be a major league team again? I will have to pay to find out. And, oh yeah, Cespedes will never see center field. Crisp has it locked. The question is whether he can play in right; is his arm good enough for that?

First row seats along the right field line near the visitors' bullpen--that's where I'll be sitting--will get me a good view of his talent. But my view does not extend to San Jose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    First row seats along the right field line near the visitors' bullpen--that's where I'll be sitting
    Jim, Jim, Jim!!!!! Can I fly out and go with you to a visiting Tigers game??? Please?
    Surely your wife wouldn't mind? I'll buy the hot dogs and pay for the parking!