Energy Deregulation (in NJ)

I currently live in NJ and have been bombarded over the last year through mail offers to switch my electricity supplier. As I understand it, my current Electric Distribution Company (JCP&L) continues to deliver electricity to my home and still responds to service interruptions and maintains the poles and wires. And I will continue to receive a bill from JCP&L as before. But I can now choose to buy my electricity from a different electric supplier than the original supplier for my area. That aspect of the energy supply chain has been deregulated.

I was contacted by a buddy who works for Ignite, the marketing arm of Stream Energy, and he reviewed my electric bill and indicated that I could save about $26 per month if I switch to Stream Energy. Of course, he gets a commission if I switch so he has a vested interest.

Has anyone switched their electric generation supplier? Is there some negative to doing this that I haven't accounted for? Is anyone familiar with Stream Energy and their service? This seems like a no-brainer, which worries me.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I can do that for commercial customers in deregulated states, but not for residential customers. Go for it; if you don't like it, your original carrier will certainly take you back.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I can do that for commercial customers in deregulated states, but not for residential customers. Go for it; if you don't like it, your original carrier will certainly take you back.
    Thanks Ozzie. I guess you hit upon my question - "what's not to like?" Am I even going to notice a difference? And if so, in the worst case, how? My electric appliances, lights, etc. won't work as well? I have no clue how this change could affect my life, even in the worst of circumstances. I do know it would save me a few bucks each month.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Thanks Ozzie. I guess you hit upon my question - "what's not to like?" Am I even going to notice a difference? And if so, in the worst case, how? My electric appliances, lights, etc. won't work as well? I have no clue how this change could affect my life, even in the worst of circumstances. I do know it would save me a few bucks each month.
    The problems that happened in California were that the "providers" of the power can charge the "deliverers" of the power whatever they want. That created monthly bills for the customers in the $1200 - $1500 / month range instead of the normal $600 - $700.

That's where the consumer can "pay" - for the gambling of the providers on spot pricing.