Thread: Duane Allman

Duane Allman

Passed 40 years ago today. Hard to believe.

Not sure any rocker ever got the slide down like he did.

Rest in peace, eat a peach.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Passed 40 years ago today. Hard to believe.

Not sure any rocker ever got the slide down like he did.

Rest in peace, eat a peach.

I still get out the old albums and play them loud. He was one of a kind.

hud

God bless Duane Allman

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post
    I still get out the old albums and play them loud. He was one of a kind.

hud
    I heard the Allman Brothers in the summer of 1971 at the Auditorium Theater in Chicago. Twenty years old, hot babe at my side. Best concert I ever attended. Got my draft notice shortly thereafter. I spent many a night in the barracks at Fort Polk reliving that concert.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Hard to believe it's been 40 years. Duane was a unique talent. He could work a one note vamp like no on else.
    Check out the video of the The ABB playing their signature tune. Dicky Betts was no slouch either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6mwO...eature=related

In my opinion, Duane Allman and Boz Scaggs' version of "Loan Me a Dime" is one of the finest songs ever done in the history of the whole wide world forever and ever.

Derek and The Dominoes were no slouches either.

Just about everything Brother Duane put his hand on turned to gold.

hud

In my opinion, Duane Allman and Boz Scaggs' version of "Loan Me a Dime" is one of the finest songs ever done in the history of the whole wide world forever and ever.

Derek and The Dominoes were no slouches either.

Just about everything Brother Duane put his hand on turned to gold.

hud
    Only 24 years old when he died. I'm pretty sure Amy Winehouse will be long forgotten before Duane Allman is.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Only 24 years old when he died. I'm pretty sure Amy Winehouse will be long forgotten before Duane Allman is.
    Considering one would have to remember in order to forget, I very much doubt that is true.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

I heard Ramblin' Man on our local classic rock station on my drive in to the office today and the DJ said that was apparently one of the songs played 40 years ago today at his funeral by an incredible "band" of guests that had assembled to attend the service. Sad, yet amazing.

I love Allman's playing on Wilson Pickett's version of Hey Jude.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

The depth of soul and feeling expressed on this track is unsurpassed. My absolute favorite.

The Layla back and forth is stuff that nearly defies discription.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKPooc-ImiM

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Hard to believe it's been 40 years. Duane was a unique talent. He could work a one note vamp like no on else.
    Check out the video of the The ABB playing their signature tune. Dicky Betts was no slouch either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6mwO...eature=related
    I still have a professional-quality black and white photo of Dickey Betts playing slide guitar when the Allman Brothers came to CIS in the '70s. Classic concert. CIS has never smelled the same lol.