Western North Carolina

I hope this is the right place for this...I just moved to the Western North Carolina area and was wondering if anyone has any insider information on Haywood and Jackson Counties? I appreciate any input in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Devil View Post
    I hope this is the right place for this...I just moved to the Western North Carolina area and was wondering if anyone has any insider information on Haywood and Jackson Counties? I appreciate any input in advance.
    Lots of up and downs in that area.

Hi Memphis Devil,
    What kind of information are you looking for?Things to do, places to see, beer to drink? I've lived in Haywood County for almost 10 years now...PM me and let me know what you want to know...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    Hi Memphis Devil,
    What kind of information are you looking for?Things to do, places to see, beer to drink? I've lived in Haywood County for almost 10 years now...PM me and let me know what you want to know...
    I lived in Haywood county for 6 years, probably close to PSurprise. (But far enough to not smell the paper plant every day). I moved to the beach from there about 10 years ago.
    It's a great area, especially if you enjoy the outdoors. There are tons of places to enjoy hiking, and if you are into fishing it's hard to beat the trout that you will pull from the streams. I remember watching some guy fish in the creek in front of my house and was amazed by the size of fish he was pulling out. He was hooking dinner from basically a ditch. We'd have fun tubing down the river in the summer, that's a great way to spend the weekend. Waynesville is a nice community with a great arts environment, and of course Asheville is only 30 minutes away. The Blue Ridge parkway is right there, which is always nice for a drive when the weather allows, one place I would suggest going is the Folk Arts Center on the parkway. It's easlily accessible from the Asheville entrance.
    http://www.romanticasheville.com/folk_art.htm
    There is also the WNC Nature Center which is a cool place to visit.
    http://www.wildwnc.org/

I hope you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle, you'll want it. One of the reasons I moved from Haywood county is that while I loved the people and the experience, I loathed the winters. I like infrequent snow, so when I had to walk up my half mile long driveway to get home for literally days at a time (even with 4 wheel drive) I figured the beach might be a better answer for me.

P.S. Go take in a high school football game at Pisgah...them folks take their football seriously up there!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Check out Nantahala Gorge, Nantahala River and of course, the Joyce Kilmer Memorial forest. One of the last virgin forests in NC and named after the dude who wrote:

I THINK that I shall never see
    A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
    Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
    And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
    A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
    Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
    But only God can make a tree.

That poem cracks me up.
    ~rthomas

I am definitely looking forward to taking advantage of all the outdoor activities and am certainly concerned about the upcoming winter. Thanks for all of the input.

I am definitely looking forward to taking advantage of all the outdoor activities and am certainly concerned about the upcoming winter. Thanks for all of the input.
    My husband and I are in Fletcher. Dupont Forest and other ares in Brevard Coun also beautiful, ESP waterfalls. DM me if you need anything.

Joyce Kilmer

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Check out Nantahala Gorge, Nantahala River and of course, the Joyce Kilmer Memorial forest. One of the last virgin forests in NC and named after the dude who wrote:

I THINK that I shall never see
    A poem lovely as a tree
    . . .

That poem cracks me up.
    I attended Joyce Kilmer Intermediate School. Hadnt thought about that poem for quite a while.