Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

Hillandale Golf Course To Close Oct 31? we'll see...

This is really sad. Unless something changes, Hillandale Golf Course will close Oct 31. Employee's of the course were notified in their latest paycheck. I have several good friends that work there and spoke with one tonight. It is a messy deal. The course is owned by a Trust which is managed by Suntrust Bank. The course has lost money 3 years running (the only income that goes to the course if Green Fee's, everything else goes to the Pro Shop Owner, Zach Veasey), and Suntrust and Veasey are embattled currently over monies that will supposedly be owed to Veasey's Corp, should the course close. The city wants to take the course over, but wisely refuses to do so if they would take on debt owed to Veasey.

A ton of history in that Golf Course, and over the years, many of our Duke players, and coaches have played there. Will be a darn shame if this thing does not get settled and the course closes.

Here is the link to the Durham Herald. It was the lead story today.
    http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_s...=homefirstleft

I read online the other day where City of Durham may or may not take over Hillandale Golf Course. Very sad to read about the closing of the golf course. Hopefully, a new deal will be worked out, before the proposed October closing. North Carolina and Durham dont need to see another business closing and the loss of jobs.

I've played the course a time or two, but hit balls on the driving range many times over the years while trying clubs from their extensive pro shop. Lots of clubs to demo, and usually a good price, including used clubs. I'll bet they have one heckuva going out of business sale in the next two months! Sorry to see them close.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I've played the course a time or two, but hit balls on the driving range many times over the years while trying clubs from their extensive pro shop. Lots of clubs to demo, and usually a good price, including used clubs. I'll bet they have one heckuva going out of business sale in the next two months! Sorry to see them close.
    The golf shop there has been ranked among the best 100 nationally, for many years. Zach Veasey (and Luke Veazy (unrelated) before him) are/were among the top operators in the US.

Talking Hillandale Follies

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    This is really sad. Unless something changes, Hillandale Golf Course will close Oct 31. Employee's of the course were notified in their latest paycheck. I have several good friends that work there and spoke with one tonight. It is a messy deal. The course is owned by a Trust which is managed by Suntrust Bank. The course has lost money 3 years running (the only income that goes to the course if Green Fee's, everything else goes to the Pro Shop Owner, Zach Veasey), and Suntrust and Veasey are embattled currently over monies that will supposedly be owed to Veasey's Corp, should the course close. The city wants to take the course over, but wisely refuses to do so if they would take on debt owed to Veasey.

A ton of history in that Golf Course, and over the years, many of our Duke players, and coaches have played there. Will be a darn shame if this thing does not get settled and the course closes.

Here is the link to the Durham Herald. It was the lead story today.
    http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_s...=homefirstleft
    I have enjoyed the course when I occasionally played there, and it would be a shame to lose the facility for the golfing public.

But, maybe I am reading between the lines, but this sounds like a three-way game of chicken. Suntrust needs a better deal -- namely another source of revenue for the course. Veasey likes his current deal but is totally out of business if the course closes. The City of Durham is hoping something can be worked out but is waiting in the wings to pick up the pieces. Hm....

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I have enjoyed the course when I occasionally played there, and it would be a shame to lose the facility for the golfing public.

But, maybe I am reading between the lines, but this sounds like a three-way game of chicken. Suntrust needs a better deal -- namely another source of revenue for the course. Veasey likes his current deal but is totally out of business if the course closes. The City of Durham is hoping something can be worked out but is waiting in the wings to pick up the pieces. Hm....

sagegrouse
    Calling DukeTaylor. Paging DukeTaylor.... Oh Chu - uck!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

This was my favorite course in Durham...I played dozens of rounds here while I was in school. It was great to take a couple friends out for a relaxing round, and the prices were definitely right. Coming into Durham for football and basketball games from DC (like last night's), I always get off at the Hillandale Road exit so I can drive past the course...brings back a lot of warm memories. I really hope they can get it straightened out so that future Blue Devils can enjoy a wonderful course like I did when I was there.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

This is a tragedy. I haven't played there for a long time, but it is the course on which I played my first golf, other than driving range stuff, and the free time caddies got on the Belle Haven course in Alexandria, Va. I played at Hillandale back when the club house was up the hill on Club Boulevard, back before Duke built the first nine holes of its course. I hope the parties to this come to there senses and make a deal that will keep it open.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    This is a tragedy. I haven't played there for a long time, but it is the course on which I played my first golf, other than driving range stuff, and the free time caddies got on the Belle Haven course in Alexandria, Va. I played at Hillandale back when the club house was up the hill on Club Boulevard, back before Duke built the first nine holes of its course. I hope the parties to this come to there senses and make a deal that will keep it open.
    Totally agree. And Sage is mostly right about the 3 way game of chicken, but there is one other factor at play here. I can't really go into it on the board, but it will play a huge role in how this shakes out. It will be a darn shame if this course is not saved. I don't care how it happens (City takes it over or private party purchases it) I just want the place to survive.

Meanwhile, with all this going on, the greens are going downhill quickly. Crabgrass has set in, and they are horrendous. It will take a fair sum of money to get them healthy again.

Sad news indeed. We have seen 2 or three courses in Wake County be sold and/or fall into disrepair the last several years. Wake Forest "Country Club" is a mass of weeds now and Cheviot Hills is the new North Raleigh Audi dealer and re-located Honda dealer with another 1-2 planned I'd guess. I believe WilMar "Country Club" in eastern Wake County was also sold/abandoned but I have not followed that story well as the prior 2 I listed as they are closer to our home. I guess Ozzie just doesn't play enough golf these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Totally agree. And Sage is mostly right about the 3 way game of chicken, but there is one other factor at play here. I can't really go into it on the board, but it will play a huge role in how this shakes out. It will be a darn shame if this course is not saved. I don't care how it happens (City takes it over or private party purchases it) I just want the place to survive.

Meanwhile, with all this going on, the greens are going downhill quickly. Crabgrass has set in, and they are horrendous. It will take a fair sum of money to get them healthy again.
    I'm sure Veasey worked extremely hard to make the pro shop as successful as it has been, but hasn't he essentially had one of the best arrangements in golf history regarding his deal with Hillandale? Maybe he could show his appreciation by being a bit giving when negotiating with SunTrust & the city.

I haven't played there in 20 years, probably. But I remember the course had some fine holes on it, and that the layout was above average for a traditional-style public course. If there were really 35,000 rounds played on Hillandale last year, then it would be a real shame for it to close down.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

A course near me closed at the end of the season last year. Let me tell you it doesn't take long for a golf course to become trash and not worth saving. I drove by it a few weeks ago. The greens were brown and cracked from the heat. The fairways were fields. The trees overgrown. The tee boxes unrecognizable. It was incredibly sad to see as this place had been around for about 50 years. Good luck Hillandale.

I have to believe that the property may be worth more as land than as a golf course with so many other places to play.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I have to believe that the property may be worth more as land than as a golf course with so many other places to play.
    You are probably correct! Remember the Arrowhead Golf Course off Mebane Oaks Road, in Mebane NC (I40 and I85). It closed several years ago, and is Home to the TANGER OUTLETS of Mebane. Those stores will bring in more tax dollars and tourists to Alamance County than Arrowhead Golf Course, ever did. Also, many Retail jobs were created for so many losing their professional, manufacturing or textile jobs in Alamance County.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWearsPrada View Post
    You are probably correct! Remember the Arrowhead Golf Course off Mebane Oaks Road, in Mebane NC (I40 and I85). It closed several years ago, and is Home to the TANGER OUTLETS of Mebane. Those stores will bring in more tax dollars and tourists to Alamance County than Arrowhead Golf Course, ever did. Also, many Retail jobs were created for so many losing their professional, manufacturing or textile jobs in Alamance County.
    I think 17 acres cannot be used for anything other than a greenway. Then there is a considerable amount of the property that is in a 100-year floodplain. I guess that means that every 100 years, on average, the land will be under significant water. Don't know what it would cost (or even if it can be done) to make that land presentable for building.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Golf has a lot going against it. It's hard to play well. It's expensive to buy equipment and play. And it takes a long time to play. Plus there was years of over growth of the industry.

But I do not like the idea of doubling the hole size and having 12 holes as Jack Nicklaus suggests.
    http://www.orland-press-register.com...lf-people.html

yuck!
    ~rthomas

Calling myself a casual golfer at best is an insult to all casual golfers everywhere.
    This is where I took my first golf lessons, played my first round and celebrated my 30th birthday with a group of guys and a round of golf.

Reading this makes me sad, indeed, and I hope that it works out to keep Hillandale open. I've not played there in a while, wondering if I need to grab a tee time just to play there one more time.

-g

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I'm sure Veasey worked extremely hard to make the pro shop as successful as it has been, but hasn't he essentially had one of the best arrangements in golf history regarding his deal with Hillandale? Maybe he could show his appreciation by being a bit giving when negotiating with SunTrust & the city.

I haven't played there in 20 years, probably. But I remember the course had some fine holes on it, and that the layout was above average for a traditional-style public course. If there were really 35,000 rounds played on Hillandale last year, then it would be a real shame for it to close down.
    Great observations Killer. Looks like it will go down to the wire. Also, regarding rounds, they were consistently averaging 45K rounds per year prior to the economy tanking. Still, 35K is a lot of golf on an annual basis. That number includes all rounds including comp rounds, employee rounds (they play for free). So the number is accurate in terms of actual golf played, but not all of those are revenue generating rounds for Sun Trust. Not sure what the number is for revenue rounds.

Hillandale

What are great course Hillandale is. I played it many times, and enjoyed it. The people who worked there were very nice as well. I wish them all the best!

Just checking in. Is the closure date still tomorrow? Or has something good happened regarding Hillandale? Newton_14, heard anything?