Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
This argument doesn't make sense to me. I think everyone can agree that, even if not redshirted, Marshall almost certainlty will not play any meaningful minutes this season (if Miles were to get hurt, we'd play Mason and Ryan, even though neither is a true center, before we would use Marshall). So, if we do not redshirt him this year, and then he uses a medical redshirt later on (meaning two full years of no meaningful minutes while only losing one year of eligibility), he is in the exact same position as if he were to non-med redshirt this year and then lose a full year to injury.

Having said that, I am not in favor of his redshirting this year. I just don't think the argument above makes any sense.
On the issue of redshirting under Coach K, there are two instances I can recall where it may have been a mistake not to redshirt a freshman player:

1. Erik Meek, coming off an accident in the summer, played 143 minutes in 1991-92 (a team that obviously had plenty of talent)
He became a productive inside player by his 4th year, and his redshirt senior year would have been 1995-96 on a team that could have really used him.

2. Lee Melchionni played 71 minutes on the 2002-03 team; he would have been nice to have around on the 2006-07 team

Of course, that's all in retrospect, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Coach K redshirt Marshall this year.