Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 64
  1. #1

    Redshirt anyone?

    The red-shirt idea was floated over the summer about both MP3 and Murphey but it seems that Murphey won't red-shirt now. MP3 was mentioned again as a candidate recently although I can't recall what article it was in. I know some people think QC will be an impact player this year but I doubt it unless Seth or TT gets injured. Tyler ended up being an important contributor last year after Kyrie was injured so anything is possible. Even so I think we're stacked at PG so if QC's knee is less than 100% I'd sit him. I think the Murphey speculation was more about him coming early than his readiness and there hasn't been any buzz about Silent G sitting out even though he appears to be 10 or 11 on the depth chart at this point. If I had to guess I'd say MP3 or no one at this point.

    Anyone else have an opinion about potential re-shirt candidates?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    The red-shirt idea was floated over the summer about both MP3 and Murphey but it seems that Murphey won't red-shirt now. MP3 was mentioned again as a candidate recently although I can't recall what article it was in. I know some people think QC will be an impact player this year but I doubt it unless Seth or TT gets injured. Tyler ended up being an important contributor last year after Kyrie was injured so anything is possible. Even so I think we're stacked at PG so if QC's knee is less than 100% I'd sit him. I think the Murphey speculation was more about him coming early than his readiness and there hasn't been any buzz about Silent G sitting out even though he appears to be 10 or 11 on the depth chart at this point. If I had to guess I'd say MP3 or no one at this point.

    Anyone else have an opinion about potential re-shirt candidates?
    Murphey now joins a long line of Duke greats, including Reddick, Sheldon, Shyer, Singlar, etc., etc., etc.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

    You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

    You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Murphey now joins a long line of Duke greats, including Reddick, Sheldon, Shyer, Singlar, etc., etc., etc.
    I don't even get how that's possible. Who the heck is named Murphey?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    I just don't see much reason to redshirt anyone. For one thing, basketball is completely unlike football, where redshirts are more common. 18 and 19 years olds frequently don't have the physical maturity to play college football. In basketball, on the other hand, 18 and 19 year olds are usually physically ready to play, and, frequently, dominate. For another, is there a really good argument that either Murphy or Plumlee will have any particular need for four years of eligibility following this year? Murphy can probably earn some time this year, since we really don't have anyone else on the team quite like him. Next year he may very well start, or at least be a sub in the 20 minutes per game range. As for Marshall, next year Miles will be gone and, if Mason finally gets it to click as Coach K seems to indicate he's looking for this year, Mason may earn a high enough draft pick to warrant going to the NBA as well. There hasn't been much talk of RK making the leap, but he doesn't really compete for time at Marshall's position anyway. Marshall will likely either be first sub at the 5 next year and, if Mason goes pro, may be our starter at the 5.

    So, I expect both Murphy and Marshall can realistically look forward to 3 years of solid playing time, maybe even 2-3 years starting, without redshirting this season.
    Brian Zoubek on what was going through his mind walking to the free throw line with 3.6 seconds remaining in the 2010 National Championship game and Duke up by 1: "Fifty percent [of me is] thinking, This is what I've been dreaming of doing my entire life. Fifty percent I'm crapping my pants."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    The coaches REALLY want to redshirt Josh Snead this year.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    I don't see Marshall redshirting; I don't think we're as deep inside as others seem to think. MP1 and MP2 are still pretty foul-prone. Hairston is undersized to guard the 5 and barely has more experience than Marshall. So I think we'll see MP3 get some playing time, and even if it's just a few minutes here and there it'd be a reason not to redshirt. Also there's the whole factor of getting to play with his brothers.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Also there's the whole factor of getting to play with his brothers.
    I think this is the key. If Marshall has any say in the matter, I'd be very surprised if he'd redshirt away the chance to play in games alongside his older brothers. And nobody else is going to redshirt, either. To me, this is a manufactured issue.

  8. #8
    I think Marshall would benefit tremendously from a redshirt year. He wasn't held back a year like his brothers were at Christ School. We'll find out very soon.

  9. #9

    redshirts

    We'll know Saturday night ... any player who plays even one second in the exhibition game will not be eligible to redshirt.

    Personally, I think the idea that Murphy or Cook might redshirt are silly -- both are going to average doubl;e figure minutes this season.

    Marshall Plumlee ... maybe. It's not that his game or body needs it (he's further advanced than say Carson Desrosier or Daniel Miller were a year ago -- he'd be starting this year at Maryland or Boston College; he'd be a key player at Clemson, Georgia Tech or Wake Forest). But I don't buy that he's get many minutes. at Duke.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Hasn't coach already basically discounted the idea that anyone will red shirt. He said in an interview that he can't remember the last time he redshirted anyone like the players he has right now. Sure Marshall has guys in front of him who can play, but he's a McDonalds All American. He and the rest of the freshman are ready to play college basketball.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I think this is the key. If Marshall has any say in the matter, I'd be very surprised if he'd redshirt away the chance to play in games alongside his older brothers. And nobody else is going to redshirt, either. To me, this is a manufactured issue.
    It wasn't meant to be an issue just a topic of conversation. Duke has an abundance of depth this year so the 10, 11 and 12 guys are going to sit a lot. It's just a matter of whether they're wearing warm-ups or street clothes. Bigs tend to develop slower so I think having MP3 as a 5th year senior might be beneficial. I doesn't seem like anyone else is a red shirt candidate except for an injury.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    The coaches REALLY want to redshirt Josh Snead this year.
    Is this still an option? I hope so, it's been a tough year for the kid. I would love to see him and Crowder on the same field together....


    As far as basketball goes I don't see K ever redshirting anyone unless for a medical reason.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Nashville View Post
    Is this still an option? I hope so, it's been a tough year for the kid. I would love to see him and Crowder on the same field together....


    As far as basketball goes I don't see K ever redshirting anyone unless for a medical reason.
    Yes, see this week's football injury report thread. Snead hasn't played a down this year due to his injured foot, which is now healed. He wants to play, but with less than half the season left, and no running backs recruited in this year's class, the coaches would really like to stagger his class (he's a sophomore) and get him for an extra year. He's got great speed and is a breakaway runner - he can be a star in this league! And please note that I put Snead (football) in this obviously basketball thread as a point of humor; I don't think any of our big men are going to redshirt this year, but like with recruiting, I'll believe it when I see it.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Personally, I think the idea that Murphy or Cook might redshirt are silly -- both are going to average double figure minutes this season.
    I agree with this, but want to point out what is surely a logical extension of this prediction, should it come true: it means K will use a legitimate 9-man rotation.

    Inside: MP1, MP2, Kelly = 75-80 mpg, with mop-up minutes/DNP for JH and MP3
    Perimeter: SC, AD, AR = ~90 mpg, leaving 30-32 mpg to be roughly equally split among 3 of these 4: TT, AM, QC, MG. Most likely MG slips down.

    I could be persuaded that by late season, either TT or QC will lose minutes to the other, which would, in turn, mean K goes back to an 8-man rotation, which might or might not include QC. And if not, QC doesn't quite average double-figure mpg. But QC redshirt, no. He'll play some, and someday soon enough be a star.

    It's also possible, if unlikely, that MG's defense could prove more valuable than AM's all-around game, in which case AM doesn't average double figure.

    There seems a clear top-6 this season, so it's reasonable to argue about who, by January, will be #s 7-9 [and thus part of the rotation], and who #s 10-12 [and thus mostly not, save for blowouts]. One thing that would muddle predictions about mpg would be if each [i.e., every one] of #s 7-12 bring enough to justify their playing substantial minutes in some games. In which unusual-for-K-case, Duke would display a 10-11 man rotation.

    Unlikely, but not impossible, given this particular mixture of players. After all, among the things we know about K, these 2: (a) he settles on an 8-man-rotation, at most; (b) he's flexible, and molds his team according to the actual players on the team.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I don't see Marshall redshirting; I don't think we're as deep inside as others seem to think. MP1 and MP2 are still pretty foul-prone. Hairston is undersized to guard the 5 and barely has more experience than Marshall. So I think we'll see MP3 get some playing time, and even if it's just a few minutes here and there it'd be a reason not to redshirt. Also there's the whole factor of getting to play with his brothers.

    Well it's pure speculation but I think Marshall is 12th in the rotation so i doubt he plays much this year. If one of the font court players got hurt I'd expect more minutes for Murphy and/or SG instead of Marshall.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO

    Talking A Foul Thought re the Front Court

    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Well it's pure speculation but I think Marshall is 12th in the rotation so i doubt he plays much this year. If one of the font court players got hurt I'd expect more minutes for Murphy and/or SG instead of Marshall.
    Lessee.... Miles with four fouls at the 12 minute mark in 2H. Mason the same. Kelly has three. I dunno, it looks like Marshall could get some time.

    Stats for the Blue-White game: in 24 minutes, Miles had five fouls; Mason had four; and Ryan had three.

    Sagegrouse

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Yes, see this week's football injury report thread. Snead hasn't played a down this year due to his injured foot, which is now healed. He wants to play, but with less than half the season left, and no running backs recruited in this year's class, the coaches would really like to stagger his class (he's a sophomore) and get him for an extra year. He's got great speed and is a breakaway runner - he can be a star in this league! And please note that I put Snead (football) in this obviously basketball thread as a point of humor; I don't think any of our big men are going to redshirt this year, but like with recruiting, I'll believe it when I see it.
    HaHa. Trust me we are on the same page....maybe not the right thread. Let me digress for a moment... I beleive he can be a star too! His physical set matches up with Givens from Wake Forest (Givens 6'0 195 Snead 5'9 185) We don't have many athletes like that on the field and would love to see a Redshirt Sophomore tag for Snead on the roster.... Anyway back on topic.

    The main reason why I really don't see Marshall redshirting is because of what people have said about his motor. I can see Marshall getting some good PT when our other bigs may need a kick in the butt to get going on a bad night...a la Tyler last year on the defensive end. It may be a card K might want to hold up his sleeve.

    Also, Sagegrouse's point is right on target.

    Go Duke!
    Last edited by Duke of Nashville; 10-27-2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Sagegrouse

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Lessee.... Miles with four fouls at the 12 minute mark in 2H. Mason the same. Kelly has three. I dunno, it looks like Marshall could get some time.

    Stats for the Blue-White game: in 24 minutes, Miles had five fouls; Mason had four; and Ryan had three.

    Sagegrouse
    I doubt MP1, MP2 and RK all foul out in the same game with meaningful minutes remaining. It could happen but probably not more than once. As long as we have one 6'10 guy available I bet we play Josh, SG or Murphy at 4 before MP3 gets any burn.

    How often has Duke even had 3 guys over 6'10 much less 4? It's hard to argue that the 4th guy fills a "need" IMO.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    It wasn't meant to be an issue just a topic of conversation.
    Yes, I understand and my comment wasn't aimed at you. A lot of people are mentioning potential redshirts, including some among the press. But I don't think the speculation is based on what's happening in real life.

    Having said that, if airowe implies they're considering a redshirt for Marshall, then maybe I'm wrong.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    We'll know Saturday night ... any player who plays even one second in the exhibition game will not be eligible to redshirt.
    Freshmen are allowed to play in exhibition games and still retain redshirt eligibility. Notre Dame thought the all players could play in exhibitions and retain redshirt capability, but sophomores, juniors, and seniors aren't allowed. They made that mistake with Tim Abromaitis his sophomore year, but appealed to the NCAA for a fifth year and were granted it - although he's serving a four game suspension for the upcoming season.

    http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...lay-in-2011-12

    The NCAA allows freshmen to play exhibition games and then spend the rest of the year as a redshirt—but not sophomores, juniors or seniors. The Notre Dame coaches misunderstood the rule and didn’t learn of their mistake until well into Abromaitis’ redshirt season.
    So, the debate can rage on past Saturday night.

Similar Threads

  1. Redshirt Question
    By WojoSay? in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-03-2009, 02:05 PM
  2. Freshman Redshirt QB Sean Renfree showing progress
    By watzone in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 06:32 PM
  3. Redshirt and Scholarship question
    By houstondukie in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-14-2008, 12:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •