Former DBR computer guru James Armstrong just sent this link to me under the heading, "News Flash! Hell Has Frozen Over!"

NCAA President Mark Emmert says he supports a proposal to allow conferences to increase grants to student athletes by $2,000, "to more closely approach" the full cost of attending college, beyond the athletic scholarships athletes receive for tuition, fees, room, board and books.
$2000 hardly comes close to paying these kids what they are worth, but it is something and will at least make it easier for scholarship athletes to do stuff like go to the movies or take a trip home.

The article also quotes Emmert as saying he will ask the NCAA board of directors to allow colleges to grant multi-year scholarships, instead of the current model where scholarships are renewed year-to-year. That proposal has me very excited because I have always hated coaches that pull scholarships from underperforming kids in favor of new stars... sorta like what that jerk Jim Calhoun did this year to make room for his latest Okafor clone.

-Jason "nice to see the NCAA moving in the right direction" Evans