View Poll Results: Top 5 Holiday Movies (U.S. Gross Only)

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Puss N Boots

9 34.62%
  • Harold and Kumar : 3D Christmas

1 3.85%
  • J. Edgar

4 15.38%
  • Twilight: Breaking Dawn, Part 1

21 80.77%
  • Happy Feet 2

6 23.08%
  • The Muppets

10 38.46%
  • Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

11 42.31%
  • Sherlock Holmes 2

18 69.23%
  • Alvin and the Chipmunks 3: Chipwrecked

5 19.23%
  • Girl With the Dragon Tatoo

16 61.54%
  • Adventures of Tin Tin: Secret of the Unicorn

3 11.54%
  • The Sitter

0 0%
  • Arthur Christmas

0 0%
  • Hugo

1 3.85%
  • Other (list it in a response)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Puss in Boots pulled in $34,000,000 over the weekend. I'll leave it to the experts to interpret the numbers, but they seem borderline to me. PiB has the kids market to itself for a few weeks, so maybe it will have the legs necessary to make the top 5.

In Time produced only $12 million and The Rum Diary laid an egg with $5 million.

PIB is actually OK, I think. Normally you say double the take for a movie....but the Noreaster kept a ton of people home this weekend....and the timing for this movie could not have been better. There's no kids movie coming out until the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. None. That's pretty shocking. I bet PIN makes $35M this weekend, and $30M the weekend after, and then $25M the weekend after that. That's $125M with nothing coming in over Thanksgiving, where it will do fine. This movie could make $140-$150M, which would be enough.

Bottom line - I think this movie is a contender for sure.

Udaman was dead on target in predicting strong staying power for Puss in Boots. Its second weekend was $33 mil, a drop of less than 5% from last weekend's take. That is extremely impressive and a good sign that this film is getting positive word of mouth. It should hold up well next weekend too because Immortals, Jack and Jill, and J Edgar are not exactly family films. Puss in Boots is a major, major contender for the Top 5, no question about it.

Tower Heist is not. It did just $25 mil its opening weekend. That's a decent number for this film, but not nearly enough to get it to the $140+ mil range it will need to be one of the top films of the season. I think we can sorta write this one off.

-Jason "as an aside, Tower Heist is a decent flick-- not great, but not bad" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Wow...I thought I might be close...but that was pretty much exact. I was disappointed that the article I read about it did not at all mention the weather last weekend. That was a HUGE reason the movie did not make $45M - basically Philly, New York, Boston and ever other city in NE had almost no action Saturday night, and nothing at all Sunday (and probably dozens of theaters had no power or were in cities that had no power).

This movie is going to do just as well, if not better, next weekend. I'm calling it now - PIB will be in the top 5.

And by the way, I was not going to see this in the theater, but then the reviews came out, and they were better than it sounded, and my kids had a few friends go see it, and they really liked it....and now we are all going on Veterans Day this Friday.

And also saw Tower Heist on Friday...had a choice between that and In Time and Harold & Kumar. I think I chose poorly. As JE said...it was OK. There were a few parts that were really funny, and Eddie Murphy was pretty good. But there were parts that just made you cringe, and the last 35 minutes were 100% completely unbelievable. I mean, completely. Almost everything that happened left you going "Are you kidding - there's no way that could happen, at all. None." Again, and again, and again, and again. Bummer, because it actually could have been much better.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    The previews look truly, truly awful. I mean cringe worthy awful. This is going to get absolutely obliterated by the critics. Torn to shreds. Sandler is normally gold, and has a big group that will go see anything he does (see GrownUps)...but this looks more like Mr. Deeds or Click...only not as good.

I think it might break $100M...but probably won't.

JE - you are right that it will likely do better than The Sitter....but those previews look kind of funny, compared to this one. I just think Jack N Jill is going to tank. We'll see.

As for the Top 5...Twilight and Sherlock are locks. I'm not sold on Girl With the Dragon Tatoo. It's really dark. It's a brutal subject matter. It will be rated R for sure (and not a comedy). It's also up against huge, huge competition (they are making a bad decision to release it when they are going against Mission Impossible, Sherlock Holmes and TinTin). This won't be in my top 5.
    Although it features an inexplicably committed performance from Al Pacino, Jack and Jill is impossible to recommend on any level whatsoever.
    24.gif24.gif
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jack_and_jill_2011/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I think all of us who did not vote for Puss in Boots are looking at 4-out-of-5... at the best. Puss did $25.5 million this weekend, just a 22% dropoff from last weekend. The film is showing extremely impressive staying power and now stands at $108.8 million in total boxoffice. The family film competition is about to really heat up (Happy Feet 2 this week; followed by Arthur Christmas, Hugo, and Muppets next week) which will take some bloom off the Puss rose, but I can't see any way this flick does not get to $150 million, which should be enough to get into our winter Top 5.

Immortals had an impressive weekend debuting to $32 million... which is just ridiculous. Those of you who follow me on Twitter know I have been ripping this film to shreds since I saw a screening of it last week. It is a visual treat but is sorely lacking in every single other element that makes a quality film. We are talking about one of the most ham-fisted scripts of the year. Blech! Still, in terms of boxoffice, the $32 mil is pretty good and there is not a lot of young male competition hitting theaters any time soon (unless young males plan to take young females to see Twilight), but I just think word of mouth will be bad and this flick will stumble. It will make $100 million, but not much more than that.

J Edgar did a little more than $11 million its opening weekend, which would ordinarily be a horrid start for a film hoping to reach our Top 5. But, J Edgar is angling itself as an Oscar contender and those kind of films have long legs. However, I have some bad news for the J Edgar voters -- I saw this film and it is not a strong Oscar contender. Frankly, I was kinda bored during much of it and it felt a bit like a history lesson (not in a good way). The acting was top notch; Leo may get a nomination and I think Armie Hammer (who played the twins in The Social Network) is a real Supporting Actor contender; but I don't think audiences will embrace this the way they do some Oscar flicks (like King's Speech or Black Swan, for example). I will be surprised if it makes even $100 million.

-Jason "my bottom line from this week-- Puss looks good, Immortals looks doubtful, J Edgar is toast" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

jack and jill

Jason, you didn't mention Jack and Jill, which (according to Rotton Tomatoes) did a $26 million opening.

Hard to see how that translates to much over $100 ...

Also noted a huge dropoff in Harold and Kumar ... down to $5.9 million (just $23.2 million in two weeks). Not going to make ot anywhere near the top five.

And on a personal note, loved seeing Roland Emmerlich's "Anonymous" tank -- just 0.6 million in its thrid week and a paltry $3.8 million in three weeks of release. I know it wasn't on our list and nobody thought it would be top five, but I still grind my teeth at such preposterous pseudo-historical bunk (it's so absurd, it could have ben on the History Channel!). It deserves to be punished at the box office.

Any review of the Muppets coming? I am not ashamed to say that I am really looking forward to seeing them back on the big screen again. Hopefully it turns out better than some of the more recent Muppet outings. The first trailer (the one where you don't see the muppets until half-way through) and the parody trailers have been brilliant.

I've been to exactly one movie in the past 3 years (thanks to Netflix and my home theater), but my soon to be 3 year-old daughter has become a big Muppets fan and we're thinking of making this her first movie theater experience. Probably matinee in case it doesn't go so well.

Quote Originally Posted by PensDevil View Post
    Any review of the Muppets coming? I am not ashamed to say that I am really looking forward to seeing them back on the big screen again. Hopefully it turns out better than some of the more recent Muppet outings. The first trailer (the one where you don't see the muppets until half-way through) and the parody trailers have been brilliant.
    Some of the long-timers involved aren't happy with the the film. Whether they just want everyone off of their lawn or it's really a disappointment, we'll see soon enough.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Muppets

A blogger/reviewer buddy of mine, Renn Brown, wrote this very nice review. He saw a screening of the film at the Savannah Film Festival and gave it 4.5 out of 5 stars. I have heard some other positive buzz too, though some are saying it is a bit too sweet and syrupy.

-Jason "I am seeing a screening on Saturday, I think. Will report back after" Evans

Tell me which films are good, not which ones make box office.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Hysterical Immortals review

Ok, so I somehow happened across this review of Immortals. It is by a Finnish guy who has relocated to New York and is writing reviews in sometimes broken English. His sentences sometimes make no sense, but he gets his point across quite nicely.

Be warned, his reviews contain more than a little bit of colorful language. Anyway, here is the link. Among my favorite lines from his review:

Why not now make the Nativity movie with the Amish and showgirls and talking goats? I would see that movie. Instead of Amish, showgirls, and the goats we get “The Immortals”.

They didn’t even release the Kraken (I yell this during bowel movements)!
    -Jason "for what it is worth, I thought Immortals was only slightly better than Breaking Dawn" Evans

A few developments this weekend--

1) Breaking Dawn made almost $140 million, which is less than I expected it to make but still a huge, huge figure. It is a lock to make our top 5 and will likely be the #1 movie of the season.

2) Happy Feet 2 made just $22 million and faces really steep competition next week as a bunch of new kid-friendly movies open. I have a hard time seeing it making $100 million, let along the $150ish it would need to be in the top 5.

3) Puss in Boots had a steep drop, falling 56% to just $10 million. It's total stands at $122.3 million. With all the kid competition coming, Puss is going to exit a lot of theaters very quickly. I think it will probably end up at only about $140 mil. It is possible that could make it our "bubble boy," just barely missing the top 5. We'll see.

-Jason

Looks like the Muppets movie is watchable. Huzzah, huzzah!! I think we'll find some time to squeeze it in this weekend.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/m...it_shows_.html

Subtitle: "Frog march your family to the new Muppets movie this holiday weekend."

Money quote: "...your most pertinent questions as regards the new Muppet movie are probably, a) Is it an abominable desecration? And, b) Should I take Mom and the kids to see it on Thanksgiving? And the answers are, respectively, not at all and hell, yeah."

Bonus linky about Sesame Street's catchiest song "Mah-na mah-na". (Careful; the article contains youtube links that may or may not be NSFW)...

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/c...est_tune_.html
    "Quality is not an option!"

The following people are going for 4/5 at best, because Happy Feet 2 is done.

Blue in the Face
    davekay1971
    El_Diablo
    mph
    northernduke
    snowdenscold
    sporthenry

In and Out

Jason, check me on this, but it looks like of the movies on our survery that have been released:

Twilight is a mortal lock to make the top 5 (it's already well over $200 million).

Puss in Boots is boderline (up to $135 million ... added $7,5 million last weekend)

Muppets has a very slim chance after a $29 million opening -- it should have staying power, but it will need a lot after that opening (worst than Puss 'n Boots -- with more competition coming)

Happy Feet 2, Hugo and Arthur Christmas are all toast after just one weekend (we only had one vote for Hugo and none for Arthur Christmas)

No "Other" has emerged as a threat to make the top 5.

Still got a lot of major players to go -- from Tintin to GWTDT to Mission Impossible to Sherlock ...

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Jason, check me on this, but it looks like of the movies on our survery that have been released:

Twilight is a mortal lock to make the top 5 (it's already well over $200 million).

Puss in Boots is boderline (up to $135 million ... added $7,5 million last weekend)

Muppets has a very slim chance after a $29 million opening -- it should have staying power, but it will need a lot after that opening (worst than Puss 'n Boots -- with more competition coming)

Happy Feet 2, Hugo and Arthur Christmas are all toast after just one weekend (we only had one vote for Hugo and none for Arthur Christmas)

No "Other" has emerged as a threat to make the top 5.

Still got a lot of major players to go -- from Tintin to GWTDT to Mission Impossible to Sherlock ...
    Your assessment is pretty solid. The biggest contenders (aside from Twilight) are still to come. For example, the only one of my picks that has opened is Twilight. I've still got a shot at 5-for-5 (though not picking Puss is looking like it may be a mistake).

Other than Puss and Twilight, no films currently out would seem to have a real shot, though it will be interesting to see if Muppets can have a big second weekend. There is nothing new coming out this week, although some Oscar contenders will expand into some new theaters. But, from Muppets standpoint, there is no new family competition out there. Muppets would seem to be the kind of flick that could generate good word of mouth (it got an "A" from Cinemascore's opening weekend exit polling, which is quite good). It is even possible that Muppets will have a bigger second weekend than its opening weekend. With no other family competition until Dec 16th Chipmunk's sequel, Muppets could have a nice run here. I would not rule it out of the running for the top 5 yet.

All that said, if I had to bet, I would bet on Muppets only getting to about $120 million, at the most.

I really think it is going to come down to Tintin vs. Chipmunks vs. Puss in Boots. One of those films will be our #5 flick (Twi, SH2, MI4, and GWTDT will be top 4).

-Jason "thanks for keeping me up to date, Oly!" Evans

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Tell me which films are good, not which ones make box office.
    OK I will.

I went to the premiere last night of New Year's Eve.

In a word, it was awful.

Nobody should be surprised by that, given the premise and the fact that it is a follow-up to Valentine's Day. IMO, New Year's Eve is even worse.

There are WAY too many plot lines, if you can even call them that, because they tried to squeeze in roles for so many stars. The stories were insipid. The "resolutions" of these stories were utterly predictable. A lot of the acting was amateurish (Jon Bon Jovi gets this much screen time? Really?) The dialogue was groan-inducing. There were a few attempts at production of tear-jerking moments which actually worked on some audience members, but they were pathetic, tired, and derivative. Worst, there was nothing funny in the entire movie. I watched this thing in a HUGE theater absolutely full of industry people who were there to support the movie, the stars, their friends and family members who made the movie, and even this crowd didn't crack a smile.

Any questions?

Well, OK, I will tell you that at the afterparty, Sofia Vergara and Katherine Heigl both looked stunning.

I flirted a little with "Katie." Made her laugh.

muppets

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It will be interesting to see if Muppets can have a big second weekend. There is nothing new coming out this week, although some Oscar contenders will expand into some new theaters. But, from Muppets standpoint, there is no new family competition out there. Muppets would seem to be the kind of flick that could generate good word of mouth (it got an "A" from Cinemascore's opening weekend exit polling, which is quite good). It is even possible that Muppets will have a bigger second weekend than its opening weekend. With no other family competition until Dec 16th Chipmunk's sequel, Muppets could have a nice run here. I would not rule it out of the running for the top 5 yet.

All that said, if I had to bet, I would bet on Muppets only getting to about $120 million, at the most.
    The secnd weekend saw a BIG dropoff for the Muppets -- down to $11 million, a pretty typical drop (about 40 pecent off the opening week). I think $120 million is a bit optimistic ... and no way it catches Puss n Butts (right at $140, although rapidy trunning out of gas).

Still think Puss is going to be right on the border line -- either No. 5 or No. 6 when all is said or done.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    The secnd weekend saw a BIG dropoff for the Muppets -- down to $11 million, a pretty typical drop (about 40 pecent off the opening week). I think $120 million is a bit optimistic ... and no way it catches Puss n Butts (right at $140, although rapidy trunning out of gas).

Still think Puss is going to be right on the border line -- either No. 5 or No. 6 when all is said or done.
    Last year I went with Fockers over Megamind in the #5 slot and lost out b/c Fockers opened later and had less time to catch up. It did eventually pass Megamind, but well after the contest was ended. So this year I went with the splashy movie that had the early opening date. We'll see if I'm bitten again this year, but right now I don't see 5 movies out there that I think will really excite people over what Puss has put up so far.

If Puss ends up #6, you can pretty much assume I'm snake bit...
    "There can BE only one."