Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iPhone 4S

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I'm pretty sure that as long as you are in a big city, it does not matter very much which carrier you have. When it matters is when you are out somewhere like the middle of no where.
    That comment, together with the image in your signature, is pretty funny.

Just to throw in an additional piece of information that you might already know, one of the new features of iOS 5 is that text messages sent to other iPhones will go over the regular data connection, rather than as SMS. If most of your texting is to other iPhone users than this will drastically reduce the number of texts you need to have in your plan.

I'm pretty sure that as long as you are in a big city, it does not matter very much which carrier you have. When it matters is when you are out somewhere like the middle of no where.
    I have AT&T in los angeles and there are tons of dead spots. Recently even my home went from good reception to 1 bar a lot of the time and voice mails where my phone never rang.

As for sports arenas, I stopped trying to surf the web or make phone calls at either the rose bowl or Staples center downtown after realizing it's completely futile.

Well, they haven't done anything to keep their glass from shattering.

http://gizmodo.com/5850438/obligator...ng-galaxy-s-ii

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    A strong review of an Apple product from David Pogue is like the sun rising in the east: I'd be surprised if it *didn't* happen.

Last summer (2010), my wife and I drove the Blue Ridge Parkway. Every inch of it. Loved the drive. The A, T &T service; not so much. We had service around Roanoke/Salem, Boone and Asheville. The rest of the way, it might as well have been 1976. Except 1976 had phone booths.

So, a bit disquieting.

Not sure if Verizon would have been better. But we both have iPhones and we're grandfathered into pretty good rates, including unlimited data for the missus. So, inertia wins.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Last summer (2010), my wife and I drove the Blue Ridge Parkway. Every inch of it. Loved the drive. The A, T &T service; not so much. We had service around Roanoke/Salem, Boone and Asheville. The rest of the way, it might as well have been 1976. Except 1976 had phone booths.

So, a bit disquieting.

Not sure if Verizon would have been better. But we both have iPhones and we're grandfathered into pretty good rates, including unlimited data for the missus. So, inertia wins.
    Verizon service on the Parkway near the NC/VA border is adequate. Some holes, but mostly covered. At the farm near sparta, nc, ATT is utterly absent, VZW barely adequate but there (albeit on the second floor only).

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Verizon service on the Parkway near the NC/VA border is adequate. Some holes, but mostly covered. At the farm near sparta, nc, ATT is utterly absent, VZW barely adequate but there (albeit on the second floor only).

-jk
    A farm near Sparta. Be still, my beating heart.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

So, a bit disquieting.

I live in Lynchburg, VA and AT&T's service is very inconsistent. I can barely get service in the basement of my house. Also, I spent time in NYC last December and May and I had problems with dropped calls both times. The signal was strong but my call would disconnect for no apparent reason. If the next generation IPhone supports Verizon's 4G network, I'll be switching.