Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Someone said Jump!

Miles said "How High?"

http://blog.dukeblueplanet.com/2011/...-of-backboard/

Can anyone tell me how many cinderblocks that is?
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Miles said "How High?"

http://blog.dukeblueplanet.com/2011/...-of-backboard/

Can anyone tell me how many cinderblocks that is?
    I'd like to know how high it actually is. I think the relative lack of perspective combined with the angle (from the side and below) make it difficult to tell how high it actually is. As a proof of concept, note hoop looks like it's well behind the baseline, when in reality its 3-4' (don't know the exact number) in FRONT of the baseline. It also looks like the pole is in front of the hoop which it clearly isn't. Now, its obviously not photoshopped, but the actual height would be more telling than a picture from an odd angle. (also note how it looks like mason is about half the height of the rim...)
    1200. DDMF.

If memory serves me correctly, Miles was a high jump champ in high school and reportedly had a standing vertical of (well) over 40" here (at Duke) a couple of years ago.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    If memory serves me correctly, Miles was a high jump champ in high school and reportedly had a standing vertical of (well) over 40" here (at Duke) a couple of years ago.

He jumped at least half a Brickey.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    He jumped at least half a Brickey.
    How many Karches is that? Here on the west coast, the Karch is the measure of ridiculous aerial feats. Go to any volleyball tournament and ask the old-timers, and they will all claim to have seen Karch (who is barely 6'3") put a quarter on top of a backboard from a standing start.

Most vertical jump measuring devices max out at 12 ft, the horizontal vanes measure 1/2 " with the 6 remaining untouched that would put Miles at 11 ft 2 in...more than a foot above the rim.

Pretty sure that was a running vert - I think his standing vert was supposedly around 3', which would still put his max standing reach close to 12'.

Miles had a 6'9" high jump while at Christ School. That doesn't correlate exactly with a great vertical, but is impressive for a guy his size.

With a running start, I think Mason gets up as well or better, or appears that way due to a somewhat longer reach.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Miles had a 6'9" high jump while at Christ School. That doesn't correlate exactly with a great vertical, but is impressive for a guy his size.

With a running start, I think Mason gets up as well or better, or appears that way due to a somewhat longer reach.
    That's downright incredibly, given how much he weighs. Not only the ability to get that much weight that height of the ground, but the body control to contort your back and various appendages into the proper positions to get them over a bar that high boggles my mind.
    1200. DDMF.

He high jumped somewhere between 6'6" and 6'8", IIRC. His standing and running verticals were very similar to Gerald's. Amazingly un-athletic to borrow a phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    He high jumped somewhere between 6'6" and 6'8", IIRC. His standing and running verticals were very similar to Gerald's. Amazingly un-athletic to borrow a phrase.
    Nah, gerald wasn't one of the amazingly unathletic folks. Just jon, nolan and the rest of the...um...oh that's right NATIONAL CHAMPION DUKE BLUE DEVILS
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    How many Karches is that? Here on the west coast, the Karch is the measure of ridiculous aerial feats. Go to any volleyball tournament and ask the old-timers, and they will all claim to have seen Karch (who is barely 6'3") put a quarter on top of a backboard from a standing start.
    I am reminded about David Thompson of NC State. As the story goes, he could take a quarter from the top of the backboard and leave, in exchange, two dimes and a nickel. His vertical jump (standing) was reportedly well over forty inches. Michael Jordan was measured at 48", but taking change from the top of the board was not one of his tricks.
    He didn't have Thompson's hang time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    I am reminded about David Thompson of NC State. As the story goes, he could take a quarter from the top of the backboard and leave, in exchange, two dimes and a nickel. His vertical jump (standing) was reportedly well over forty inches. Michael Jordan was measured at 48", but taking change from the top of the board was not one of his tricks.
    I would just like to point out that "hang time" has a perfect correlation with vertical leap. One can't have a longer "hang time" without increasing their vertical leap unless he decides to land with a splat instead of on his feet.
    1200. DDMF.

Phenomenal Karch reference! Met him this summer at a USWNT intrasquad at UCI. Cool guy.

karch.jpg

But... ^that would take a lot of hats, to measure Miles' vert!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I would just like to point out that "hang time" has a perfect correlation with vertical leap. One can't have a longer "hang time" without increasing their vertical leap unless he decides to land with a splat instead of on his feet.
    David did splat one time when his hang time was interrupted by an undercut. Scared the crap out of the Wolfpack fans and lots of other folks, too. A former colleague of mine claimed that David's foot actually kicked the backboard on the way down.

Although the story of David Thompson's being able to make change for a quarter off the top of the backboard has been oft repeated, Thompson himself has categorically denied ever being able to do it. Thompson could fly, to be sure, but as time goes by the stories get more and more absurd.

You want to see some serious hops just go to YouTube and watch some of the street ballers do slams. There's one guy who goes by the moniker "Air Up There" that is pretty incredible, and I don't think he's the absolute best. He has a patented 720 slam and there is video of it.

Lots of guys have hops; anything over 44 inches standing vertical is pretty much world class.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

And he used to wear a sweet pink hat.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Although the story of David Thompson's being able to make change for a quarter off the top of the backboard has been oft repeated, Thompson himself has categorically denied ever being able to do it. Thompson could fly, to be sure, but as time goes by the stories get more and more absurd.

You want to see some serious hops just go to YouTube and watch some of the street ballers do slams. There's one guy who goes by the moniker "Air Up There" that is pretty incredible, and I don't think he's the absolute best. He has a patented 720 slam and there is video of it.

Lots of guys have hops; anything over 44 inches standing vertical is pretty much world class.
    Talk about an injustice...

How do we have a thread about hoops guys with great hops, and not mention Carmen Wallace?

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'd like to know how high it actually is. I think the relative lack of perspective combined with the angle (from the side and below) make it difficult to tell how high it actually is. As a proof of concept, note hoop looks like it's well behind the baseline, when in reality its 3-4' (don't know the exact number) in FRONT of the baseline. It also looks like the pole is in front of the hoop which it clearly isn't. Now, its obviously not photoshopped, but the actual height would be more telling than a picture from an odd angle. (also note how it looks like mason is about half the height of the rim...)
    The backboard is indeed 4 feet in front of the baseline. But I'm pretty sure this is a side basket rather than the main basket - one of the auxiliary baskets along the sideline, and IS actually behind the line (in this case, the sideline).

That said, the angle of the photograph does make it really hard to tell how high he jumped in that case. I'd say it's in the neighborhood of the top of the backboard, but it's hard to say exactly how high.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The backboard is indeed 4 feet in front of the baseline. But I'm pretty sure this is a side basket rather than the main basket - one of the auxiliary baskets along the sideline, and IS actually behind the line (in this case, the sideline).

That said, the angle of the photograph does make it really hard to tell how high he jumped in that case. I'd say it's in the neighborhood of the top of the backboard, but it's hard to say exactly how high.
    Good to know! I've only been in there once, but the picture makes a lot more sense now that my brain isn't trying to force the basket somewhere to where its not!
    1200. DDMF.