Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ALDS

ALDS

Game one tonight in Arlington and in the Bronx. The NLDS starts Saturday.

Obviously, I'm focusing on the Verlander-Sabathia duel in Yankee Stadium. Peter Gammons compared it to a Koufax-Gibson duel from the sixties. Considering that we're in a much higher-run environment, it seems a reasonable comparison -- except Koufax and Gibson never faced each other in a postseason environment.

No argument that Verlander has had the better year -- 24-5, 2.40 ERA, 251 innings (vs. CC's 19-8 3.00 237 innings). Back in August, there was a pretty good debate as to Cy Young with Verlander, CC Sabathia and Jerrod Weaver in the debate. But Verlander blew the debate apart with his last six weeks -- he finished with 12 straight wins before losing his final start to the Orioles (five runs in seven innings). It was a costly loss -- if he wins that game, Detroit is opening the ALDS at home against Tampa, instead of in Yankee Stadium (although to be fair, without his season-long success, the Tigers aren't even in the playoffs). Verlander has had three postseason appearances -- including a no decision against the Yankees (in a game the Tigers eventually won) in the 2006 ALDS.

Sabatha has been better longer -- five straight seasons of at least 17 wins and 230 IP. He's a horse with plenty of postseasopn experience -- 13 postseason starts. He's never lost in the ALDS (4-0).

The two aces dueled on opening day with Sabratha and the Yankees winning 6-3 in the Stadium. The Tigers beat CC a week later in Detroit, but the next day, the Yankees beat Verlander again. That's the last time either pitched against his playoff opponent.

That would seem to be an edge to Sabathia, except is was so long ago -- the first week of the season.

It will be interesting to see how quickly the managers bring their ace back if the series goes to four or five games. Either could come back on three days rest for game 4 Tuesday in Detroit. Or they can save them for Game 5 in New York Thursday -- on five days rest. Sabathia has a history of pitching (and pitching well) on three-days rest in postseason ... Verlander has never pitched on three days rest.

Going to be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Game one tonight in Arlington and in the Bronx. The NLDS starts Saturday.

Obviously, I'm focusing on the Verlander-Sabathia duel in Yankee Stadium. Peter Gammons compared it to a Koufax-Gibson duel from the sixties. Considering that we're in a much higher-run environment, it seems a reasonable comparison -- except Koufax and Gibson never faced each other in a postseason environment.

No argument that Verlander has had the better year -- 24-5, 2.40 ERA, 251 innings (vs. CC's 19-8 3.00 237 innings). Back in August, there was a pretty good debate as to Cy Young with Verlander, CC Sabathia and Jerrod Weaver in the debate. But Verlander blew the debate apart with his last six weeks -- he finished with 12 straight wins before losing his final start to the Orioles (five runs in seven innings). It was a costly loss -- if he wins that game, Detroit is opening the ALDS at home against Tampa, instead of in Yankee Stadium (although to be fair, without his season-long success, the Tigers aren't even in the playoffs). Verlander has had three postseason appearances -- including a no decision against the Yankees (in a game the Tigers eventually won) in the 2006 ALDS.

Sabatha has been better longer -- five straight seasons of at least 17 wins and 230 IP. He's a horse with plenty of postseasopn experience -- 13 postseason starts. He's never lost in the ALDS (4-0).

The two aces dueled on opening day with Sabratha and the Yankees winning 6-3 in the Stadium. The Tigers beat CC a week later in Detroit, but the next day, the Yankees beat Verlander again. That's the last time either pitched against his playoff opponent.

That would seem to be an edge to Sabathia, except is was so long ago -- the first week of the season.

It will be interesting to see how quickly the managers bring their ace back if the series goes to four or five games. Either could come back on three days rest for game 4 Tuesday in Detroit. Or they can save them for Game 5 in New York Thursday -- on five days rest. Sabathia has a history of pitching (and pitching well) on three-days rest in postseason ... Verlander has never pitched on three days rest.

Going to be fun!
    Let me preface this by saying I'm a Yankee fan.

I see the Tigers winning this. Outside of CC(and IIRC, the Tigers numbers against him are very good), the Yanks have very little. Nova had a great year but he is a rookie and rookies tend to struggle in the playoffs. After him they have the 78 yr old Garcia. Who knows what they'll get from him. Then it's back to CC. I'd say the Yanks BP is deeper but the closers are a wash, IMO. You can't beat 49/49 in saves. Robertson and Soriano give them a some length and when you add in Hughes a lead after 5 or 6 would be tough to come back on.

You raise a good point on Verlander never having pitched on 3 days rest. I didn't know that. He's a horse though, and I think he'd be fine with that in small doses. The Tigers SP gives them the edge as far as I'm concerned. You need pitching to win in the playoffs and I just don't think the Yanks have the horses there. I hope it'll be a good series and I think it will be. Good luck, OF.

If the Yankees' bats show up, they'll win. If they don't, they won't. Sort of like Duke needing to shoot well to win. The Yankees are generally a good hitting team. I expect us to beat Detroit in the series.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    If the Yankees' bats show up, they'll win. If they don't, they won't. Sort of like Duke needing to shoot well to win. The Yankees are generally a good hitting team. I expect us to beat Detroit in the series.
    I love the eternal optimism, Ozzie. Usually though, it's pitching, pitching, pitching in the playoffs and a Verlander, Fister back to back will be a tall order for the Yankee bats. I hope I'm wrong and I'm sure you'll find a way of convincing me I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug.I.Am View Post
    I love the eternal optimism, Ozzie. Usually though, it's pitching, pitching, pitching in the playoffs and a Verlander, Fister back to back will be a tall order for the Yankee bats. I hope I'm wrong and I'm sure you'll find a way of convincing me I am.
    Yes, it's pitching, pitching, pitching. But you can still lose 1-0 on an unearned run. Gotta score to win! And we can score a lot of runs, even off of Jason Verlander and the other Detroit pitchers. We need to get to "the Troika" of Soriano, Robertson and Mo with the lead in the 7th inning. Can't rely on mop up guys like Ayala and Wade like we did on Wednesday night (sorry to my Boston friends...).

9F 9F 9F

i agree. i find that generally, the team that scores more points comes out on top.

And except for the fact that the sample size renders it meaningless.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
    i agree. i find that generally, the team that scores more points comes out on top.
    Ozzie's second rule of golf: Most putts that are short don't go in!

9F 9F 9F

Just to clarify the OP's post, Verlander got a no decision in his last start (the Tigers did end up losing the game). Still, despite the fact we're opening in Yankee Stadium instead of at the CoPa, I like our matchup against the Yankees. We won the head-to-head this season and I think that Verlander and Fister can provide a formidable 1-2 punch to the Yankees. This is shaping up to be similar to 2006, when the Tigers (with Verlander) facing a Yankees team in the ALDS that was heavily favored and admittedly way more talented than those Tigers. The Tigers won in 4 games on their way to representing the AL in the World Series.

To all the Yankees fans on the board, may the best team win. I think it's gonna be a great series, but I'm confident in my Tigs' ability to get it done!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Just to clarify the OP's post, Verlander got a no decision in his last start (the Tigers did end up losing the game). Still, despite the fact we're opening in Yankee Stadium instead of at the CoPa, I like our matchup against the Yankees. We won the head-to-head this season and I think that Verlander and Fister can provide a formidable 1-2 punch to the Yankees. This is shaping up to be similar to 2006, when the Tigers (with Verlander) facing a Yankees team in the ALDS that was heavily favored and admittedly way more talented than those Tigers. The Tigers won in 4 games on their way to representing the AL in the World Series.

To all the Yankees fans on the board, may the best team win. I think it's gonna be a great series, but I'm confident in my Tigs' ability to get it done!
    Is Kenny Rogers gonna cheat again?

Totally neutral observer here... I like Detroit to beat the Yanks and make the World Series. I think having a truly dominant starting pitcher, the best in baseball, is a major advantage in the post-season... significantly bigger than it is in the regular season.

Heck, I expect Detroit to face the Phils for the World Series simply because starting pitching tends to take teams a looong way in the playoffs.

-Jason "I'll be somewhat stunned if anyone other than the Phils win the Series this year... their pitching is off the charts... kinda like it was last year " Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Look out, Weezie!

Bad news if you're a Tigers fan:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/1...oster-for-alds

"The roster also includes Rick Porcello and Brad Penny instead of an additional reliever."

Look, I'm no baseball expert. But why, oh why, would you keep Penny on the playoff roster instead of ANYONE else who can pitch? Brad Penny did a one-man show this month, called The Boston Red Sox Pitching Staff. Uncanny portrayal.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Is Kenny Rogers gonna cheat again?
    Really, this again?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Totally neutral observer here... I like Detroit to beat the Yanks and make the World Series. I think having a truly dominant starting pitcher, the best in baseball, is a major advantage in the post-season... significantly bigger than it is in the regular season.

Heck, I expect Detroit to face the Phils for the World Series simply because starting pitching tends to take teams a looong way in the playoffs.

-Jason "I'll be somewhat stunned if anyone other than the Phils win the Series this year... their pitching is off the charts... kinda like it was last year " Evans
    We're hoping the 1-2 of JV and Fister can remain hot. We will have that combo pitching 3/5 games, with Verlander pitching twice if necessary. The man is a machine.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Bad news if you're a Tigers fan:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/1...oster-for-alds

"The roster also includes Rick Porcello and Brad Penny instead of an additional reliever."

Look, I'm no baseball expert. But why, oh why, would you keep Penny on the playoff roster instead of ANYONE else who can pitch? Brad Penny did a one-man show this month, called The Boston Red Sox Pitching Staff. Uncanny portrayal.
    I like this...I think we're counting on not having to use the bullpen for a couple starts with Verlander typically going 7-8 innings. If he does that, at worst we have Benoit pitching the 8th and Valverde Time in the 9th. Penny has been awful of late, and maybe I leave him off in place of Duane Below. But, I think if we have a lead entering Game 4 in Detroit against the Yankees, Porcello gets the start since he's normally very good at home, and maybe we have Penny or Coke come in for relief during one of those games since they have a bit more experience than some of the others.

2003-2004 HLM

Following the pinch hit heroics of Dan Johnson (a .107 hitter before his 9th inning 2-strike home run), the Rays are now riding the bat of Kelly Shoppach (part-time catcher and .176 hitter in 284 ABs) who has launched 2 HRs and has 3 runs and 5 rbi. Also, Matt Moore is making Joe Maddon look brilliant.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

yanks-Tigers

Well, that was a bummer. Game called midway through the second inning, tied 1-1 (Tigers scofre on a Delman Young home run into Jeffrey Maier's seat; Yankees answer on a strikeout/passed ball, a four-pitch walk, a botched double play and a sacrifice fly).

So the great pitcher duel is rained out ... very, VERY doubtful that Verlander-Sabathia come back Saturday night when the game is resumed in the bottom of the second (under a fairly recent rule change, games that are rained out are postponed, resumed and must be played to their conclusion). Sabathia pitched two innings and Verlander one ... will they both come back Sunday afternoon (originally an off-day, now will be Game 2)? Or will one or both come back Monday in Detroit?

Or will we get the rest of Game 1 in Saturday night (the forecast in NY isn't good).

Just a terrible letdown.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Brad Penny did a one-man show this month, called The Boston Red Sox Pitching Staff. Uncanny portrayal.
    Ehhh, yeah. Like I said elsewhere, it's Leyland's utter lack of anything cooking in the Toledo pens.

I'm supposed to be in DTW for a Tuesday night game. Does anyone here think they would actually play a doubleheader on Sunday?

Yankees answer on a strikeout/passed ball, a four-pitch walk, a botched double play and a sacrifice fly).
    Bringing back troubling memories of 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Ehhh, yeah. Like I said elsewhere, it's Leyland's utter lack of anything cooking in the Toledo pens.

I'm supposed to be in DTW for a Tuesday night game. Does anyone here think they would actually play a doubleheader on Sunday?
    If tonight's game gets postponed (more rain in the forecast), then Sunday will have to be a doubleheader. They only have 1 off-day left to work with (between Games 4 and 5) and they're not going to move the games in Detroit to accommodate Game 1 and 2 in New York...Tigers fans with tickets to those games would have a fit.

It's a shame because they knew they were getting rain but underestimated how much...that game shouldn't have started. It drastically changes the series now because unless JV and CC come back on Sunday to pitch Game 2, they are guaranteed to only pitch 1 game in the series. With a Game 2 start, they possibly have Game 5 to come back to. I imagine we see Fister and Nova tonight and then JV and CC Sunday afternoon in Game 2...if the rain holds off.

EDIT: Just shown on the ESPN ticker:

Tonight in resumed Game 1: Fister vs. Nova
    Game 2: Scherzer vs. Garcia

JV and CC will likely pitch one more game this series...sounds like both managers will gauge how Games 1 and 2 go to determine Game 3. Maybe if one goes down 2 games to 0, that megastar will pitch Game 3. Otherwise, both probably go Game 4, with Fister and Nova in Game 5. Just my guess.
    Last edited by blazindw; 10-01-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: New Pitching Matchups

2003-2004 HLM

I just wish they would play this game today during the afternoon. Yeah, TV and all just get it in there. Night rain is so much heavier after the humidity rises all day. Phooey.

Blazin' need any DTW swag if I see anything good?
    Of course, there might also be something nice from our 3-0 LION!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, weezie, but I'm all stocked up! BTW, http://www.downwithdetroit.com. Awesome Detroit gear there...guarantee you'll find a couple items you like on there.

I'll be in the D on the 10th...MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL!!

2003-2004 HLM