Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The sitcom in general has been on life support for the last decade or so.

I love Seinfeld but I've watched a few episodes lately as lead-ins to baseball and it hasn't aged as well as I would have predicted in 1998.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I'm a big fan of BBT. I guess I just like the awkward humor.

The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis (the x-mas present episode) ending was probably the hardest I have ever laughed at any television show ever. Every episode doesn't deliver, but enough of them do to make it worth watching every week.

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    I'm a big fan of BBT. I guess I just like the awkward humor.

The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis (the x-mas present episode) ending was probably the hardest I have ever laughed at any television show ever. Every episode doesn't deliver, but enough of them do to make it worth watching every week.
    Catching up on the re-runs since the show has gone into syndication, and just saw that episode last night. Hilarious.

Also liked the episode where Penny goes to the hospital, and Sheldon has to provide care and comfort.

Soft Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    The sitcom in general has been on life support for the last decade or so.
    Creatively or commercially? I can't really agree either way - there are plenty of popular but creatively bankrupt sitcoms today, mostly on CBS, and several excellent but unwatched sitcoms, mostly on NBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Creatively or commercially? I can't really agree either way - there are plenty of popular but creatively bankrupt sitcoms today, mostly on CBS, and several excellent but unwatched sitcoms, mostly on NBC.
    The NBC comedies are funny, but there just seems to be too much "not funny" moments in them all.

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    The NBC comedies are funny, but there just seems to be too much "not funny" moments in them all.
    grammer aside, you should really watch this last week's episode of Community. it was really the funniest and most well executed half hour of tv i've seen in some time.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/285095/com...l-chaos-theory

note that it has a quite 'nerdy' premise without abiding my traditional sitcom tropes (like TBBT so often does).

Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
    grammer aside, you should really watch this last week's episode of Community. it was really the funniest and most well executed half hour of tv i've seen in some time.

note that it has a quite 'nerdy' premise without abiding my traditional sitcom tropes (like TBBT so often does).
    or, in my case, spelling aside.

or, in my case, spelling aside.
    I assumed that, like my intentional grammatical error, your spelling problem was intentional.

That episode was pretty advanced for a half hour sitcom.

If you want to see all 7 timelines in sync... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTsb5hg04Oc
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I tend to agree. There are right now, in my humble opinion, four excellent sitcoms out there (Parks & Rec, 30 Rock, Modern Family and Curb Your Enthusiasm), along with two that are occasionally transcendent and excitingly experimental, although sometimes fairly mediocre, but never uninteresting (Community and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia). In the last decade we've had and lost both Arrested Development and Party Down, the first of which has to be among the best comedies ever. We've also seen The Office, which had a really good run for 3 or 4 years, plus the original UK version. HBO's given us Eastbound and Down and Flight of The Conchords, both of which are uneven and imperfect but not at all predictable and break certain molds. And some of the more traditional sitcoms have been clearly above dreck level, like How I Met Your Mother, Everybody Loves Raymond, and Scrubs. That's not bad, especially in contrast to the '90's. I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty, but for me that decade had two bits of genius, Seinfeld and Larry Sanders; two pretty well-done traditional comedies (Frasier and Friends), and otherwise a plethora of embarrassingly formulaic stuff. Compared to that, what with the new prevalence of cable comedy and the single camera no laughtrack trend, the new century's been a Renaissance.