Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPhone 4S

iPhone 4S

Just wondering if anyone's already gone in on one of these, and yes, I know they're not out in people's hands yet. I'm (still) on my 3G. That's right, not even the 3GS... I'm on the 3G, so clearly I'm on AT&T and out of contract. The phone itself is more than ready to die- I've had to revive & restore it several times in the last few months and certain apps just bog it down beyond belief and cannot be used (even on wifi), yet the battery life is beyond expectations- it'll go for days w/o needing a charge.

Anyway, I think I'm going to have to take the plunge on the 4S, but will probably wait until after the initial crush of orders. Does anyone have any thoughts on AT&T vs Verizon? I really don't want to go with Sprint. AT&T in Vegas is ehhhh... I get a lot of dropped calls, but I do like that I can surf & talk at the same time, which I can't do w/ Verizon. I can also keep my unlimited data plan w/ AT&T, which is unavailable w/ Verizon. Oh, and this is my everything phone- I don't have a landline.

Finally, is it even worth trying to keep my 3G on life support until the 5 rolls around?

I'm planning to pick one up on VZW on Friday if I don't have to wait too long. Preorders are already backordered, so we'll see what happens.

I'd stay with AT&T if you're grandfathered in with the unlimited data.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    I'm planning to pick one up on VZW on Friday if I don't have to wait too long. Preorders are already backordered, so we'll see what happens.

I'd stay with AT&T if you're grandfathered in with the unlimited data.
    This is as good a place for this discussion as any....

So what is best for iPhone 4S? Sprint/AT&T/Verizon?

I'll be getting a 4S through work in a few weeks, and get to choose carriers, which is paid for by job, so cost isn't an issue.

- I know nothing about Sprint anymore. What are pros and cons there?

- AT&T seems to have pretty broad coverage, but they can't handle big events. I sit and watch folks on Verizon, T-mobile, Sprint all texting and chatting at concerts, football games, etc. and I can't do squat. I was at the dadgum AT&T COTTON BOWL last Saturday and my phone might as well have been off the entire time. AT&T's excuse has always been it has the most customers and the popularity of the iPhone, but popularity as an excuse for inadequate bandwidth is horrible business. I just think their technology probably sucks.

- Verizon - not being able to talk and surf is an annoyance, but I have an iPad. Otherwise I've heard good things, and I know it works at major sporting events.

Thoughts? Other things to consider?

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone's already gone in on one of these, and yes, I know they're not out in people's hands yet. I'm (still) on my 3G. That's right, not even the 3GS... I'm on the 3G, so clearly I'm on AT&T and out of contract. The phone itself is more than ready to die- I've had to revive & restore it several times in the last few months and certain apps just bog it down beyond belief and cannot be used (even on wifi), yet the battery life is beyond expectations- it'll go for days w/o needing a charge.

Anyway, I think I'm going to have to take the plunge on the 4S, but will probably wait until after the initial crush of orders. Does anyone have any thoughts on AT&T vs Verizon? I really don't want to go with Sprint. AT&T in Vegas is ehhhh... I get a lot of dropped calls, but I do like that I can surf & talk at the same time, which I can't do w/ Verizon. I can also keep my unlimited data plan w/ AT&T, which is unavailable w/ Verizon. Oh, and this is my everything phone- I don't have a landline.

Finally, is it even worth trying to keep my 3G on life support until the 5 rolls around?
    I'm in the same boat. "Up"grading the operating system really made killed the 3g, and sometimes even simple apps are torturously slow. I was convinced I was going to get the 4s last week, but now that the pre-order is going to take weeks, there's no incentive. I'll wait for the crush to end too. And then maybe wait one more generation. We'll see.

I'm likely sticking with AT&T because of my grandfathered unlimited plan. I think that will become even more of a need with a new phone (with large video files) and icloud. I also like being able to talk and use internet apps at the same time. But the network's not too bad where I am, and rarely have a dropped call.

From what I've read and heard, the 4S is almost everything the 5 was expected to be except in the 4 body - it includes the iOS5, the faster processor, the better camera, the higher resolution screen, etc. In other words all, or most, of the important stuff. (Please note I don't have an iPhone, I have the original Motorola Droid, which is approaching 2 years of age at this time and will probably be replaced next January with an iPhone). My son-in-law is a computer geek and when he got a smart phone a few months ago, he wanted the Droid OS because of its open nature and he could hack into it and do "stuff" with it. Me? I just want the phone to work well, do cool stuff and be easy to use, which is why I expect I'll move to the iPhone with my next upgrade.

Sue, how much data do you expect to need? How much do you use now on your phone? With a faster, more sophisticated phone, will you double (or more) what you do now? Will that put you over the base data plan if you move from AT&T to Verizon? What about the next service plan level up at Verizon and how much extra would that cost you? Having "unlimited" with AT&T is great, if you can "get on line" with it (that sounds like the old days of dial up internet service...). I'm glad I have a Verizon unlimited plan, I wouldn't switch to AT&T or Sprint.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Sue, how much data do you expect to need? How much do you use now on your phone? With a faster, more sophisticated phone, will you double (or more) what you do now? Will that put you over the base data plan if you move from AT&T to Verizon? What about the next service plan level up at Verizon and how much extra would that cost you? Having "unlimited" with AT&T is great, if you can "get on line" with it (that sounds like the old days of dial up internet service...). I'm glad I have a Verizon unlimited plan, I wouldn't switch to AT&T or Sprint.
    Part of the problem is that in checking my current (and recent) data usage, I realized that it's horribly skewed. I use my iPhone so little for apps & such these days because it's SO darn slow (if it doesn't crash). I choose not to use it most of the time other than as a phone.

Does that mean I'll use the new phone more than the current one? Heck yeah. I have wifi at home, so data won't be an issue there, but it will much of the rest of the time (unless there's wifi, obviously, but there's never a guarantee there will be). I guess I'm trying to weigh the pros/cons of staying w/ the unlimited data vs the phone quality vs call & surf/call or surf. I agree w/ the poster earlier who stated that there's a greater chance of downloading a LOT more data w/ a new phone w/ new capabilities and capacities, but is that enough to stay with unlimited data? I also agree w/ the poster who said AT&T sucks in places like crowded stadiums and arenas (welcome to my job, though I have a separate work phone ).

I can't seem to decide, but if I wait until the initial rush dies down, I should be able to buy myself about a month to make up my mind.

(Please note I don't have an iPhone, I have the original Motorola Droid, which is approaching 2 years of age at this time and will probably be replaced next January with an iPhone). My son-in-law is a computer geek and when he got a smart phone a few months ago, he wanted the Droid OS because of its open nature and he could hack into it and do "stuff" with it. Me? I just want the phone to work well, do cool stuff and be easy to use, which is why I expect I'll move to the iPhone with my next upgrade.
    Yep, I have the original Droid as well and have rooted it, installed several new OS's on it, and basically tinkered with it hard for nearly 2 years. I like Android a lot. I like the ability to do what I want with the phone, I like the speed that the OS is being developed, and the fact that Android's on the cutting edge. However, I'm in the mood to try something incredibly polished and something that works all the time. I'm in a mood to not think about my phone, but to just have it do what it should. That's ultimately why I'm switching. Also the new camera on the 4S is sick.

ps - the next best Android phone (rumored Galaxy Nexus on VZW) is going to have a 4.65" screen which really seems a bit big. I will miss out on the VZW LTE speeds, but I'm willing to deal with that for now.

my Iphone 4 has been great...it doesn't crash, gets great reception and i've got a faster download in CIS than the free wifi...I've got AT&T and while i don't like the price the service is excellent..

if your iphone is crashing and won't connect at sporting events, you may have some sort of problem...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I get my 4S on Friday and looking forward to it, especially the Siri.
    ~rthomas

From what I've read and heard, the 4S is almost everything the 5 was expected to be except in the 4 body - it includes the iOS5, the faster processor, the better camera, the higher resolution screen, etc. In other words all, or most, of the important stuff. (Please note I don't have an iPhone, I have the original Motorola Droid, which is approaching 2 years of age at this time and will probably be replaced next January with an iPhone). My son-in-law is a computer geek and when he got a smart phone a few months ago, he wanted the Droid OS because of its open nature and he could hack into it and do "stuff" with it. Me? I just want the phone to work well, do cool stuff and be easy to use, which is why I expect I'll move to the iPhone with my next upgrade.

Here's a good breakdown of the differences between the iPhone 4 and 4S. The biggest differences are the processor(s), the camera, Siri, and the availability in a 64 gig model. If you're a world traveler, the 4S also provides better international coverage. Both phones have the same size "Retina" display, but that's nothing against the 4S since the screen didn't need an upgrade IMO.

FWIW, I upgraded my Iphone 4 to Ios 5 today and so far I'd say its a considerable improvement. It offers a notification center that keeps alerts from popping up in the middle of your screen, wireless syncing, improved camera functionality, and a bunch of other upgrades I've only started to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post

I'll be getting a 4S through work in a few weeks, and get to choose carriers, which is paid for by job, so cost isn't an issue.

- AT&T seems to have pretty broad coverage, but they can't handle big events. I sit and watch folks on Verizon, T-mobile, Sprint all texting and chatting at concerts, football games, etc. and I can't do squat. I was at the dadgum AT&T COTTON BOWL last Saturday and my phone might as well have been off the entire time. AT&T's excuse has always been it has the most customers and the popularity of the iPhone, but popularity as an excuse for inadequate bandwidth is horrible business. I just think their technology probably sucks.

- Verizon - not being able to talk and surf is an annoyance, but I have an iPad. Otherwise I've heard good things, and I know it works at major sporting events.

For what it's worth, I have been on Sprint for about 8 years and have no complaints about coverage. The only place in NC I have not been able to get a signal is in the state parks, and my friend with Verizon only manages one bar when on a mountain range, so I don't consider that a deal breaker. I've also been to several large cities nationwide (Vegas, San Fran, Phoenix, Dallas, DC, etc), and have had good coverage in all of them. Only when I am in a very remote area is coverage sometimes spotty.

I think the overall cost per month on Sprint is lower than what others pay for similar plans and phones, especially since you can share minutes between phones and the data plans are only $20 for unlimited access. Right now I'm planning to upgrade to the 4S in February when my contract is up on Sprint, unless someone can convince me why I should pay more for crappier coverage with AT&T.
    "There can BE only one."

I'm curious if anyone with a 3Gs has changed operating system. My wife has a 3gs, but considering how crippling the last upgrade was for the 3G, I don't think she should change to ios5.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    my Iphone 4 has been great...it doesn't crash, gets great reception and i've got a faster download in CIS than the free wifi...I've got AT&T and while i don't like the price the service is excellent..

if your iphone is crashing and won't connect at sporting events, you may have some sort of problem...

I've had 3 different iPhones, and many of my friends have iPhones of all releases on AT&T. Almost universally when there are lots of people in one place with iPhones (football stadiums, large festival concerts, tech conventions, etc.) coverage is spotty. You have the bars on the phone, but texts and calls won't go through. THen you'll get a flood of texts and voicemails when you get a slice of bandwidth for 2-3 minutes. Verizon and T Mobile don't seem to have the same issues, and I imagine a lot of this is due to the iPhone, but it's still no excuse.

One example I can give -- at SXSW Interactive, AT&T actually brings in mobile cell antennas and places them throughout downtown Austin, and they still have problems. This is an issue considering the group of people at that convention (techies, social media execs and first adopters, etc.). At the Cotton Bowl last week, the only thing being cursed more than the UT coaches in the Texas half of the stadium was AT&T.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I'm curious if anyone with a 3Gs has changed operating system. My wife has a 3gs, but considering how crippling the last upgrade was for the 3G, I don't think she should change to ios5.
    My wife upgraded the OS on her 3Gs, and I haven't heard any panicked screaming from her yet. It seemed to work fine for her immediately post upgrade, and she's been playing around with it quite a bit to test out the new features.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

$$$

Apart from the network coverage, there's the question of price. Here's a good breakdown from CNN on the various plans on the 3 carriers and what you get.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/12/tech...source=cnn_bin

I currently have a 450 min + 250 texts + unlimited data (grandfathered) from VZW which I pay a bit over $70 for (without my discount). I'll be keeping this plan with my iPhone.

For anyone without unlimited data, regardless of carrier or phone, I would strongly suggest looking into Opera Mini.

They use a server to read a page, then generate a compressed version to send to your phone. It's usually less than half the MB of the original page, and very often compressed much, much more. It both reduces data and speeds up the browsing by not downloading content many smart phones can't display.

It won't show flash or animated graphics, so your native browser will still get a workout (Mini launches mine when it can't display the content). But otherwise I find it very useful. The vast majority of my BB browsing is in Mini. I only regularly use the native browser for some weather sites' radar loops and youtube.

-jk

Siri is amazing. Period.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post

A) First, you're really going to bring your iPad to an "event"? No way. I get grief if I have my iPad at a social event, let alone a game, etc. So surfing and talking at the same time is a big deal, if you are one of these people that HAS to be "online" at all times.

B) The "technology" that AT&T uses is GSM, which cannot be artificially expanded for bandwidth like CDMA carriers Verizon and Sprint. I have always felt - and seen - superior coverage from Verizon. I had Sprint for 3 years, was miserable with them, and still see them do the same things. I found out through talking with friends that were also on Sprint, that Sprint was dropping half of each "talkers" transmission blocks. Since everybody just assumes it's a "mobile phone" thing, they never say anything about it - and you don't know. Also, while it's frustrating to be in a bandwidth constrained area with AT&T, I prefer it to Sprint's policy of connecting every call by dropping whatever call has been on the server the longest when it fills up.

C) I've been to a Final Four, Comdex, CES, SF Fleet Week, Panthers games, UNC-Duke football games, and other major events and never had an issue. Dallas, of course, is one of the last 3 cities that added GSM coverage (along with Chicago and New Orleans). I believe that your Cotton Bowl experience was more related to being IN DALLAS than to any other aspect of the technology.

I've had an AT&T / Cingular Wireless number for 12 years now. It continues to work better than the Sprint numbers I had - BY FAR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    A) First, you're really going to bring your iPad to an "event"? No way. I get grief if I have my iPad at a social event, let alone a game, etc. So surfing and talking at the same time is a big deal, if you are one of these people that HAS to be "online" at all times.

B) The "technology" that AT&T uses is GSM, which cannot be artificially expanded for bandwidth like CDMA carriers Verizon and Sprint. I have always felt - and seen - superior coverage from Verizon. I had Sprint for 3 years, was miserable with them, and still see them do the same things. I found out through talking with friends that were also on Sprint, that Sprint was dropping half of each "talkers" transmission blocks. Since everybody just assumes it's a "mobile phone" thing, they never say anything about it - and you don't know. Also, while it's frustrating to be in a bandwidth constrained area with AT&T, I prefer it to Sprint's policy of connecting every call by dropping whatever call has been on the server the longest when it fills up.

C) I've been to a Final Four, Comdex, CES, SF Fleet Week, Panthers games, UNC-Duke football games, and other major events and never had an issue. Dallas, of course, is one of the last 3 cities that added GSM coverage (along with Chicago and New Orleans). I believe that your Cotton Bowl experience was more related to being IN DALLAS than to any other aspect of the technology.

I've had an AT&T / Cingular Wireless number for 12 years now. It continues to work better than the Sprint numbers I had - BY FAR!!!!
    Thanks. This makes some sense. The iPad comment was disconnected from being at an "event." I don't talk and surf that much, but I've always been able to do it when I want, so I don't know whether it's something I need. I imagine Verizon will eventually get there.

Based on this thread, though, people are on both sides ofthe fence with many of these services.

As far as AT&T, Dallas was just my latest experience. Other places it hasn't worked: every UT game at DKR in Austin Lollapalooza, ACL Festival, Elite 8 in Houston, BCS Championship at Rose Bowl, etc. etc. It has universally had spotty to no coverage at any event where there are >10K people in the same spot.

But as mentioned, it sounds like different people have had different experiences... I will probably, reluctantly, stick with AT&T.

I'm pretty sure that as long as you are in a big city, it does not matter very much which carrier you have. When it matters is when you are out somewhere like the middle of no where.
    ~rthomas