Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I can't stand The Big Bang Theory

This CBS sitcom has been around since 2007. It flew under my radar until recently when re-runs began trapping my wife. I have to say, the nerd jokes are lame, the characters quickly get under my skin and the laugh track makes it all worse. It all seems so middle-school.

Am I alone in my distaste for this tripe?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    This CBS sitcom has been around since 2007. It flew under my radar until recently when re-runs began trapping my wife. I have to say, the nerd jokes are lame, the characters quickly get under my skin and the laugh track makes it all worse. It all seems so middle-school.

If you are watching the earlier episodes, my only advice would be to give it a chance. In my opinion the show really gets better in season 2. Then last season with the addition of Raj's sister Pria and Amy Fara Faller (sp) it really gets hillarious! I have to say this show makes me laugh out loud more than any show I watch. Modern Family is probably a better show but I don't laugh quite as hysterically at it, even though I may laugh just as much!

My .02 cents.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    If you are watching the earlier episodes, my only advice would be to give it a chance. In my opinion the show really gets better in season 2. Then last season with the addition of Raj's sister Pria and Amy Fara Faller (sp) it really gets hillarious! I have to say this show makes me laugh out loud more than any show I watch. Modern Family is probably a better show but I don't laugh quite as hysterically at it, even though I may laugh just as much!

My .02 cents.
    Love the Big Bang Theory. Makes me laugh out loud.

I got it into last season, which was the 4th season I believe. The show recently went into syndication so I've been watching the earlier shows, which I would agree are not up to the standard of the more recent shows.

By the way, the actress who plays Amy Farrah Fowler is Mayim Bialik who starred in the 90's comedy Blossom.
    She also has legitimate science credentials, having earned a Ph.D in neuro-science.

Jim, I've seen only an episode or two, but I am right there with you... Felt like a typical bad sitcom. That said enough people here like it so I am willing to say maybe I didn't see enough of it.

Big fan of Big Bang.

hate the laugh track

It is clear that Chuck Lorre's attention drifted from 2 1/2 men to Big Bang, I worry that it will drift away from Big Bang to the 2 1/2 men reboot to spite Charlie Sheen.

In other news, I am mourning the loss of "In Treatment" on HBO. Waaaaaah, my Irish boyfriend, Gabriel Byrne!!!!!

I never miss an episode of Big Bang Theory. One of my favorites.

But yes, I do have a genetically-encoded disdain for laugh tracks.

I can't stand The Big Bang Theory.
    I'm down on Copernicus. Heliocentrism my foot.

Well, Jim, I don't know how many times we've agreed on the DBR over the years, but I'm 100% with you (guess that's what happens when there's no PPB). I recorded about half a season on the strong recommendation of a group of students. I don't get the attraction at all.

From what little of the show I've watched, it seems like nerd jokes for the masses, ie, people who took a science course or two in college, or people who like having their stereotypes of nerds reinforced. For real nerd content you're better off watching Futurama or reading xkcd.

Nope. I've caught about 5 episodes over the years, and just completely don't understand the attraction. And I'm normally a *huge* fan of nerd jokes.

Sometime during high school (late 90's), I decided that I hated CBS comedies, thinking that the jokes were predictable and tired. So I refused to watch them for over a decade. My company's travel agency always books United, so I have occasionally had opportunities to sample CBS comedies on flights over the last two years. I was feeling a little snobbish for always scoffing when my manager (BBT) or friends (HIMYM) rave about one of these shows. I can tolerate a little How I Met Your Mother, but I find Big Bang Theory and @%*# My Dad Says pretty much exactly what my snobbish prejudice would expect. I do think that the laugh track contributes to by distaste.

I learned to hate laugh tracks with "M*A*S*H*" years ago and haven't gotten past it. Part of the reason that "Cheers" and "Seinfeld" were so good was because they were filmed before a live studio audience -- the laughs were more organic and fit the level of the joke.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    a live studio audience -- the laughs were more organic and fit the level of the joke.
    [Emphasis Added]

What other kind of studio audience is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    [Emphasis Added]

virtual?

[Emphasis Added]

Some shows (How I Met Your Mother is one) play back the completed episode in front of an audience to get the laugh track for the episode, rather than filming the episode in front of the audience (live).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I learned to hate laugh tracks with "M*A*S*H*" years ago and haven't gotten past it. Part of the reason that "Cheers" and "Seinfeld" were so good was because they were filmed before a live studio audience -- the laughs were more organic and fit the level of the joke.
    I don't know this to be a fact, but I always thought shows with studio audiences were supplemented with laugh tracks anyway. I've been a studio audience member and things just generally aren't laugh-out-loud funny. If they didn't add some background laughs, it would sound quiet on TV (kind of like Carolina home basketball games adding crowd noise).
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

[Emphasis Added]

Letterman's

My wife and I love BBT. It hooked me when Sheldon called engineers the oompa loompas of science. I will never forget that line. Oh, and my wife and I are both engineers.

Ha, I am right there with you. It seriously boggles my mind that that guy won a freaking EMMY.

It's the only show on TV that I consider to be worse than "Whitney", which is saying something...