Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rodney Purvis to NC State

Not a big surprise, but a very big get for NC State. He's an excellent talent they can build around. Any time you get a Top 20 talent, it is important for your program.

-Jason "congrats to Gottfried" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Not a big surprise, but a very big get for NC State. He's an excellent talent they can build around. Any time you get a Top 20 talent, it is important for your program.

-Jason "congrats to Gottfried" Evans
    Noticed you updated your location...shouldn't that say home of sports teams that blow big leagues leads and don't make the playoffs? (I'm a braves fan and I also live in Boston, so this week and whole month has been unbelievable from all angles)

Oh, and congrats 'pack

Good catch for the Wooffies, basketball is better when the whole triangle is playing well.

Question

So, is Purvis another "one and done" candidate ??

k

Wow, that's a big score for NC St. I'm not looking forward to watching Purvis run circles around our guards next year.

Quote Originally Posted by g-money View Post
    I'm not looking forward to watching Purvis run circles around our guards next year.
    Purvis isn't the highest rated guard going to the ACC next year.

Wow, that's a big score for NC St. I'm not looking forward to watching Purvis run circles around our guards next year.
    I agree that is a great recruit for State. Why would Purvis run circles around Duke's guards next year? I don't know that he is quicker than Cook, Curry, Thornton or Sulaimon and I would expect they might run more circles around him. I do think they might have trouble containing his strength on drives and will make games with State more competitive, but I am not at all worried about him running circles around Duke's quick guards. He is big and strong enough that he may be matched up against Dawkins or Gbinijie, in which case he may have a quickness advantage, but I am hoping both those guys will be very solid defensive players in 2012.

Congrats to State and Gottfried and Purvis.
    Last edited by NSDukeFan; 09-30-2011 at 03:52 PM. Reason: can't forget Rasheed and Purvis should be congratulated as well.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

It is not like they just signed Kyrie or Ty Lawson... lets not get too crazy, ok?

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

It is not like they just signed Kyrie or Ty Lawson... lets not get too crazy, ok?

-Jason
    Still, it's a big pick up for NC State. Is it strange if I got really excited when I saw this thread title? For some reason I'm really pulling for Gottfried to finally get things together in Raleigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    So, is Purvis another "one and done" candidate ??

k
    Does he ever get nervous?

We stopped recruiting him because Sulaimon was climbing up the rankings so quickly. In fact, I think he might be ranked higher than Purvis.

All in all, though, I'm glad he went to State, because it's good for the conference, and I always enjoy watching good players.

Thumbs up

Good for them. State fans can really use some good news. And he's supposed to be a "good kid" too. Congratulations to both parties.

I'm sure his family is thrilled to have him near home instead of trapsing of to Louisville or MO or some such.

Good for State! Congrats to Purvis, I wish him good fortune in Raleigh, though not when they play Duke.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    He isn't even the highest rated guard going into the Duke/NC State matchup (though the guy defining both statements is the same guy (Sulaimon). I think we'll be okay in the backcourt next year.

It's a good get for NC State. They need to keep landing top-tier recruits so that they can turn the ship around.

-Jason
    Purvis may actually be just that good.

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    Purvis may actually be just that good.
    He *could* be good - a lot of players *could* be that good - but right now, no one expects Purvis to have that kind of impact. Certainly not right away.

He cited Syracuse and Pittsburgh joining the conference as factoring heavily in his decision. Great to see those additions are already reaping rewards.

Conference is going to be scary good very, very soon.

I'm happy any time the conference brings in talent (except for UNC).

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Sorry - I didn't mean to disrespect our guards with that post, even though it obviously reads that way in hindsight.

I'm just a bit bummed that we stopped recruiting Purvis. However, I suppose the combination of a shaky jump shot and the (reported) desire to be one-and-done may understandably have made Coach reluctant.

If it's true that Sulaimon has improved enough to best a player like Purvis, then we should be in good shape in any event. I'm psyched to see Rasheed in Duke Blue next year.

Sorry - I didn't mean to disrespect our guards with that post, even though it obviously reads that way in hindsight.

I'm just a bit bummed that we stopped recruiting Purvis. However, I suppose the combination of a shaky jump shot and the (reported) desire to be one-and-done may understandably have made Coach reluctant.

If it's true that Sulaimon has improved enough to best a player like Purvis, then we should be in good shape in any event. I'm psyched to see Rasheed in Duke Blue next year.
    It's always unfortunate when a very good talent goes to a rival school. But between Sulaimon (who is now rated higher than Purvis), the need for a big, and the outside possibility of Muhammad, he wasn't coming. Can only have so many wings on the court at once.

Between a senior Dawkins, possibly a senior Curry (if he decides to stay for a fifth year), Sulaimon, Cook, and Thornton, I think we'll be better at guard than NC State.