Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MLB Wild Card talk

It seems insane to confine the conversation to the Braves 2011 thread with both leagues facing compelling final-day mysteries. So, place all your comments on the excitment to come over the next 12-36 hours in this thread, if you will.

I'll get the ball rolling with this--

Have folks heard about this? The Sox are considering trading for a pitcher (Bruce Chen of the Royals) who would pitch game #163, but not be eligible for the playoffs. If there is a game 163, the Sox options are just horrid to pitch that game. This is a really interesting notion, though it would not apply for the Braves who seem to have a decent option for #163 in Beachy.

Is it fair to deal for a guy to play in one very special game?

-Jason "I suspect the Sox would not make such a move until tonight, after they know if #163 will happen" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Wow. I didn't even know that was legal.

Also, after the walk-off grand slam last night, Arizona is just a game behind Milwaukee for the second-best record. I guess the matchups depend on who emerges for the wild card.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It seems insane to confine the conversation to the Braves 2011 thread with both leagues facing compelling final-day mysteries. So, place all your comments on the excitment to come over the next 12-36 hours in this thread, if you will.

I'll get the ball rolling with this--

Have folks heard about this? The Sox are considering trading for a pitcher (Bruce Chen of the Royals) who would pitch game #163, but not be eligible for the playoffs. If there is a game 163, the Sox options are just horrid to pitch that game. This is a really interesting notion, though it would not apply for the Braves who seem to have a decent option for #163 in Beachy.

Is it fair to deal for a guy to play in one very special game?

-Jason "I suspect the Sox would not make such a move until tonight, after they know if #163 will happen" Evans
    Is Mike Torrez available?

In all seriousness, imagine being Bruce Chen in that situation. You go around the clubhouse and introduce yourself to everybody (although I guess he's been teammates with some of the guys before; he's well-traveled) and then go out there with the whole season on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Is Mike Torrez available?

In all seriousness, imagine being Bruce Chen in that situation. You go around the clubhouse and introduce yourself to everybody (although I guess he's been teammates with some of the guys before; he's well-traveled) and then go out there with the whole season on the line.
    Chen was actually with the Sox for a little while in 2003. He pitched in 5 games, including 2 starts. He was in Baltimore from 2004-07 and with the Royals the past 3 years. I am sure he knows the guys on the Sox a bit and probably knows a few of them fairly well.

Still, very weird. Pitcher is unquestionably the most important position on the field. The Sox would be putting the fate of the season in the hands of a guy who would have been with them for probably less than 24 hours.

-Jason "talk about well-traveled, Chen has pitched for 10 different teams... none for more than 3 season" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Chen was actually with the Sox for a little while in 2003. He pitched in 5 games, including 2 starts. He was in Baltimore from 2004-07 and with the Royals the past 3 years. I am sure he knows the guys on the Sox a bit and probably knows a few of them fairly well.

Still, very weird. Pitcher is unquestionably the most important position on the field. The Sox would be putting the fate of the season in the hands of a guy who would have been with them for probably less than 24 hours.

-Jason "talk about well-traveled, Chen has pitched for 10 different teams... none for more than 3 season" Evans
    Who is left on the Sawx from the '03 season besides Varitek, Ortiz, and Wakefield?

chen

I love the desperation! Then again, their options at the moment are Wakefield, Lachey (both on short rest) or Weiland (who has been terrible).

I saw another article that suggested that Lars Anderson (once regarded as a top prospect, but a recent disappointment) might go to the Royals for the one-day Chen rental. The timing is interesting -- what Zif they make the deal, then lose with Lester tonight? Then the Chen deal is for nothing. Can they delay the deal until after tonight's game? How far away is Chen from Tampa Bay (the site of Game 163)?

There have been a few one-day playoffs in baseball history, but NOBODY has been in as many historically dramatic one-game playoffs as the Red Sox (to be fair, the NL used to have a three-game playoff is there was a tie ... so the Bobby Thomson home run was in game 157 of a 154-game season). First, the Denny Galehouse disaster of 1948, then the Bucky Dent game in 1978. Now the Bruce Chen game in 2011?

PS Happy to see the Yankees starting Bettances tonight in Tampa. He's a guy with a great chance to earn a spot in our rotation next season and it will be great to see him in a pressure situation. Reportedly the Yankees will start their normal lineup around him. In hindsight, I wish the Braves had started Teheran last night instead of Lowe. He's Atlanta's version of Bettances (and is, in fact, an even higher rated prospect). A tough spot for a kid, but he couldn't have been worse than Lowe.

NL ties

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I love the desperation! Then again, their options at the moment are Wakefield, Lachey (both on short rest) or Weiland (who has been terrible).

I saw another article that suggested that Lars Anderson (once regarded as a top prospect, but a recent disappointment) might go to the Royals for the one-day Chen rental. The timing is interesting -- what Zif they make the deal, then lose with Lester tonight? Then the Chen deal is for nothing. Can they delay the deal until after tonight's game? How far away is Chen from Tampa Bay (the site of Game 163)?

There have been a few one-day playoffs in baseball history, but NOBODY has been in as many historically dramatic one-game playoffs as the Red Sox (to be fair, the NL used to have a three-game playoff is there was a tie ... so the Bobby Thomson home run was in game 157 of a 154-game season). First, the Denny Galehouse disaster of 1948, then the Bucky Dent game in 1978. Now the Bruce Chen game in 2011?

PS Happy to see the Yankees starting Bettances tonight in Tampa. He's a guy with a great chance to earn a spot in our rotation next season and it will be great to see him in a pressure situation. Reportedly the Yankees will start their normal lineup around him. In hindsight, I wish the Braves had started Teheran last night instead of Lowe. He's Atlanta's version of Bettances (and is, in fact, an even higher rated prospect). A tough spot for a kid, but he couldn't have been worse than Lowe.
    Yes, and on the NL side, as you point out, in the old days, these were 3-game playoffs, but in any event, the Dodgers are the poster child: they lost NL playoffs in 1946 (to the Cardinals), 1951 (Giants), 1962 (Giants again), and 1980 (NL West, to the Astros). They did win a playoff, over Milwaukee, in 1959, and went on to the first World Series victory ever for the Los Angeles edition of the Dodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    In hindsight, I wish the Braves had started Teheran last night instead of Lowe. He's Atlanta's version of Bettances (and is, in fact, an even higher rated prospect). A tough spot for a kid, but he couldn't have been worse than Lowe.
    Hindsight?!?! Most every Braves fan I know wanted us to start ANYONE but Lowe in foresight!

-Jason "Freddiot is the only person on the planet who thought Lowe was the right person to start last night... and I include Lowe, his mom and dad, and wife in that!" Evans

Braves game (710pm start) will be running about 3-4 innings ahead of the Cards game (805pm start). Sorta sucks in terms of drama.

OTOH, Red Sox (705pm start) and Rays (710pm start) could be doing everything hand-in-hand. Should be fun!

-Jason "gonna rush home from Rosh Hashanah services, that's for sure!" Evans

I just looked at Lowe's wiki and learned two things. One, he's old as dirt. (This is his age 38 season). And two, he's a cancer survivor. I did not know that.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Talking This is Probably the Kiss of Death...

But I gotta go for the Cards, for decades my favorite team. From age 8 to age 50 I batted lefthanded in organized baseball and softball leagues as a homage to Stan Musial, my boyhood hero.

I am also rooting for Tampa Bay, after they get raped and pillaged every year by the big-money Yanks and Red Sox. Gotta go for the low-budget option!

sagegrouse
    'Also, you have no idea how bad the rightfielders were in the DC industrial leagues'

I grew up as a Braves fan, and have adopted the Red Sox since I moved to Boston 3 years ago. The next few hours are going to be agony for me.

The Red Sox have decided not to pull the trigger on the Chen trade, according to reports up here. Also, the Red Sox pitchers since Francona took over are horrible on 3 days rest, they are something like 4-13 with an ERA north of 7 in those situations since 2004. However, I have faith in Lester, even though he's been horrible over the last month (like most of the team).

Well, that's the game. Congratulations to the Cardinals and their odious douchebag manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Well, that's the game. Congratulations to the Cardinals and their odious douchebag manager.
    Game is tied 1-1. And what??

Ticket to Cardinals-Braves tiebreak game purchased. $44 to Cardinals and $9 to ticketbastard or whoever. $53 I'll never get back...

...unless this gets settled tonight. I'm kind of rooting for everyone to win tonight at hit 90 wins. It would be electric tomorrow night.

True story, Ramar. There's an angry AM sports radio guy in this town called Kevin Slaten. His moniker for TLR is "LaRouchebag."

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Ticket to Cardinals-Braves tiebreak game purchased. $44 to Cardinals and $9 to ticketbastard or whoever. $53 I'll never get back...

...unless this gets settled tonight. I'm kind of rooting for everyone to win tonight at hit 90 wins. It would be electric tomorrow night.

True story, Ramar. There's an angry AM sports radio guy in this town called Kevin Slaten. His moniker for TLR is "LaRouchebag."
    I understand LaRussa can be a little prickly with the media -- but hatred of him is pretty irrational when you consider he is the 2nd all-time in MLB wins and has a world series title in each league. I remember when some disgruntled fans flew a "Fire LaRussa" airplane over a stadium during the game (think it was in Spring training...or was it Busch Stadium?)

Mike Shannon on Myers giving up so many runs early. "The bullpens got a lot of work last night...Myers has to hitch up his belt...and comme ci, comme ça."

I don't know if he meant, "Que sera, sera," or something else, but I'm sure it was funnier the way he said it than any alternative.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

So um, this is a pretty awesome night of baseball. Shame on the Cardinals for not having any sense of drama. Credit to mother nature for halting (at least for now) the rain in Balmor.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    So um, this is a pretty awesome night of baseball. Shame on the Cardinals for not having any sense of drama. Credit to mother nature for halting (at least for now) the rain in Balmor.
    How about the craziness of the one CDT game ending well in advance of all three EDT games?

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Holy crap. Look at what the sad-sack Orioles just did to Papelbon.

I have to say, irrespective of what one's rooting interests are, I love the integrity of the competition tonight. Philadelphia could have lain down and rested everyone and they still took it to the Braves. Baltimore...Baltimore takes out one of the best closers in the game, repeatedly down to their last strike in a "meaningless
    game [to them]. This is nothing like NBA teams tanking the last six, eight, ten games to improve their lottery position.

Anticipating a refund for my crappy seat at the one-game playoff that won't take place in Saint Louis tomorrow, I have purchased a cheaper, crappier (still $40) SRO ticket for NLDS game 3. I like walking around all game anyway, and I do even when I have a seat. Sad for Braves fans. That was rough.

Longoria just went yard. Holy crap x2.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine