Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fringe

Fringe

I recall there being some Fringe fans around here. Just wanted to say that I thought the season 4 opener was one of the worst episodes in the history of the series. It was a dull "Monster" story. Peter is gone and we saw little about his story other than the fact that The Observers want the last traces of him erased. We got no clue as to why he has to be erased or anything like that. I think I hate the whiney Lincoln Lee from "our side."

There is so much unexplained about what is currently going on. For example, why is there even a conflict between our side and their side? All the history of the conflict between the two universes came from stuff related to Peter. So, now that Peter has been erased, why is there any conflict?

I read that ratings for the season premiere were not strong. This is going to be Fringe's last season, I suspect. After this year, they will have enough episodes to go into syndication (likely on Sci Fi) and there will be less incentive to hang on another year after that benchmark has been achieved. So, I suspect this is it for the show -- barring some turnaround in the ratings, which is almost impossible for a serialized program like this because new viewers have no idea what is going on with the plot. I hope they can get things back on track and finish strong.

Sigh.

-Jason "the ratings may be lousy enough so the producers will know the show is dying... which may give them 4 or 5 episodes at the end to wrap things up" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I recall there being some Fringe fans around here. Just wanted to say that I thought the season 4 opener was one of the worst episodes in the history of the series. It was a dull "Monster" story. Peter is gone and we saw little about his story other than the fact that The Observers want the last traces of him erased. We got no clue as to why he has to be erased or anything like that. I think I hate the whiney Lincoln Lee from "our side."

There is so much unexplained about what is currently going on. For example, why is there even a conflict between our side and their side? All the history of the conflict between the two universes came from stuff related to Peter. So, now that Peter has been erased, why is there any conflict?

I read that ratings for the season premiere were not strong. This is going to be Fringe's last season, I suspect. After this year, they will have enough episodes to go into syndication (likely on Sci Fi) and there will be less incentive to hang on another year after that benchmark has been achieved. So, I suspect this is it for the show -- barring some turnaround in the ratings, which is almost impossible for a serialized program like this because new viewers have no idea what is going on with the plot. I hope they can get things back on track and finish strong.

Sigh.

-Jason "the ratings may be lousy enough so the producers will know the show is dying... which may give them 4 or 5 episodes at the end to wrap things up" Evans
    The Sy/Fy Channel? Not, while there's faux wrestling to be shown.

Just watched it this afternoon while eating lunch. Not much going on until the end, basically an entire new storyline, both worlds can talk to each other when they need to and cooperate on an as needed basis through the Olivias. Maybe it'll pick up next week - I sure hope so.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

... So, I suspect this is it for the show -- barring some turnaround in the ratings, which is almost impossible for a serialized program like this because new viewers have no idea what is going on with the plot. I hope they can get things back on track and finish strong.

Sigh.

My first reaction is that I've watched for years, and I still don't know what's going on.

It's interesting to me that I still watch. I'm recurrently disappointed, but I do like most of the characters and the show's basic premise, so I keep on taping and watching.

Ouch, a bit harsh Jason!

Okay, it wasn't the GREATEST episode ever, but I think they were doing a LOT of setup... I was interested to see the new guy, but AltOlivia should have said something about it, since she has her version of him on her side... I think give it some time, let them get rolling

Anyone out there still watching "Fringe?" It is a surprisingly strong show, and really willing to "push the envelope" as far as major changes to open up new storylines. There are now two worlds joined, one a bit more of a sci-fi world where you can do near-sci-fi storylines, and one that is more like ours. They just dropped a "random" episode that is supposed to take place many years in the future in, but it went totally unresolved and apparently will not be addressed again in the near future. While it may not be a deep intellectual sort of show it really is not so bad

Jason, you still watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Anyone out there still watching "Fringe?" It is a surprisingly strong show, and really willing to "push the envelope" as far as major changes to open up new storylines. There are now two worlds joined, one a bit more of a sci-fi world where you can do near-sci-fi storylines, and one that is more like ours. They just dropped a "random" episode that is supposed to take place many years in the future in, but it went totally unresolved and apparently will not be addressed again in the near future. While it may not be a deep intellectual sort of show it really is not so bad

Jason, you still watching?
    I am. The wife and I still enjoy it quite a bit. I worry that it is not really resolving all that much. Every answer seems to come with 3 new questions. I do like that they seem to have established a main villain in David Robert Jones. It gives the show something it can try to accomplish while not seeking to resolve all the questions.

-Jason "I am not sure how much longer the show has -- the ratings are poor, but as a Friday show, it may survive" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I enjoy Fringe, and look forward to watching each week. But I get confused sometimes by all the jumping back and forth. The adding of ANOTHER timeline, with no resolution at all, is not going help anybody keep up with everything. That said, I enjoyed the latest episode. In general, the more unstable Walter is at a given time(line?), the more I like the show. I didn't know who John Noble was until he played Denethor in Lord of the Rings. Now he's one of my favorite actors.

Nice of Spock to lend a hand.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I enjoy Fringe, and look forward to watching each week. But I get confused sometimes by all the jumping back and forth. The adding of ANOTHER timeline, with no resolution at all, is not going help anybody keep up with everything.
    Me too (what killerleft said). I haven't watched the last episode yet.

9F 9F 9F

I'm still watching Fringe. I enjoy it. Sometimes I try to figure it all out, other times I just ignore the big picture and watch the current episode for what it's worth. Last Friday's future history episode didn't survive a DVR malfunction so I can't watch it for a few days until it shows up on Hulu!

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Just saw the episode. Walter's "These are not the droids you're looking for," line was one of the best lines on TV EVER! Had me rolling on the floor! Awesome writing!

Here is a very nice review of the episode that explains a bit of why Fringe does this kind of thing.

I really enjoyed the episode and see it as a set up of the future of the program. If the fates let us have a season 5 of Fringe, it can be the beginning of the Observer rebellion followed by Walter, Olivia, Peter, and the "team" trying to stop the Observers in the future. Sounds fun to me! Could be a nice way to go with the final season of the show as I suspect we are only going to get one more season... if even that.

-Jason "was nice to see Henry Ian Cusick, aka: Desmond from Lost, back on TV. I'd love for Fringe to get him full time for a season... better than Lincoln Lee!" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 04-24-2012 at 10:48 AM.

I love, love, love that they announced it would be a final season. This will allow the show to go out on its own terms, with a 13-episode story arc that should bring everything to conclusion as opposed to all those shows that leave their fans with an unanswered cliffhanger.

I just hope the JJ creation has a better final season than his most famous show... which really got LOST on its way to the end.

-Jason "looks like this thread will live for about another 8 or 9 months" Evans

So, I wonder if Lincoln is officially off the show and the alternate universe is gone. This may be the show laying the groundwork for season 5 being all about the Observer War.

-Jason "maybe they wrote Lincoln off so Henry Ian Cusic can take a real role next season when/if they spend the season in the future" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I have watched it and I absolutely loved it. I also liked the most recent episode.

9F 9F 9F

So, I wonder if Lincoln is officially off the show and the alternate universe is gone. This may be the show laying the groundwork for season 5 being all about the Observer War.

-Jason "maybe they wrote Lincoln off so Henry Ian Cusic can take a real role next season when/if they spend the season in the future" Evans
    Yeah, interesting that they "did away" with the alternate universe. I have to say, I have been impressed by Fringe's willingness to open up entirely-new-but-not-completely avenues of the show, that have made for interesting story and plot changes. Didn't expect to lose all of the alt charaters. It does, however, clear out space for the thing with the Observers. And I do wonder if Robert Jones IS somehow on the "side" of the good guys, in some way... trying to defeat the Observers? Almost like a Magneto/Charles sort of thing?

And Jason I agree, I LOVE when shows have a definite end point; it really helps the writers craft a true and satisfying ending (except, of course, in the case of The Sopranos or Lost.)

And Jason I agree, I LOVE when shows have a definite end point; it really helps the writers craft a true and satisfying ending (except, of course, in the case of The Sopranos or Lost.)
    @#$^@& Lost really @#^%&( #^@^& !^&$%^*(@$^ the final season.

"Its not purgatory," they said. $^%*$ liars!!

It would be almost impossible for Fringe to mess up the ending worse than Lost did. Heck, even shows that end mid-story don't mess things up as much as Lost did.

-Jason "4 8 15 16 23 42... grrr" Evans

Hey, at least when "Lost" ended you didn't have to check to see if the cable went out

(But yeah, it sucked. Bad. For several years leading up to the final season, I thought, but that is another thread.)

So I was out of town Friday night and didn't see Fringe. No problem, I'll just watch it on DVR. Started to watch it and 5 minutes in it ended. Argh! That means that Friday night, my wife or one of my kids went to change the channel and couldn't (because Fringe and Grimm were occupying the 2 tuners) and killed the recording. Now I have to wait 8 days!

Oh yeah, and Lost went from intriguing and awesome to crazy and horrible by the time it was done.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    So I was out of town Friday night and didn't see Fringe. No problem, I'll just watch it on DVR. Started to watch it and 5 minutes in it ended. Argh! That means that Friday night, my wife or one of my kids went to change the channel and couldn't (because Fringe and Grimm were occupying the 2 tuners) and killed the recording. Now I have to wait 8 days!

Oh yeah, and Lost went from intriguing and awesome to crazy and horrible by the time it was done.
    You don't have to wait if you're a TWC customer in Raleigh! Check out PTOD on 1040 - Prime Time On Demand! The 4/27 show is available.

9F 9F 9F