Boxing?!?! Mayweather - Ortiz

I am not much of a boxing fan, I was once but not any more. Just don't have time for it and I ain't paying big bucks to watch PPV.

Anyway, I am still very intrigued by the end of the Ortiz-Mayweather fight last night. Ortiz had head butted Mayweather and felt badly about it so they came together to touch gloves in a show of respect and contrition. Ortiz went to hug Mayweather and left his hands down after the hug ended. Mayweather clocked Ortiz twice with his hands down, knocking him out and winning the fight.

Afterwards, Mayweather and 80-year-old HBO analyst Larry Merchant almost got into a fight. It was awesome! Check it out --

Now, I would probably pay PPV to watch Mayweather vs. Merchant! Ha!

-Jason "I predict a rematch... and an even bigger payday for both fighters" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Another, better video of the controversial KO.

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

IF Mayweather ever grows a pair and and agrees to fight Pac-man (who continues to agree to Mayweather's increasingly silly demands), I might be interested in watching him get his *** kicked. Otherwise, he will always just be a fairly competent, mouthy, classless thug who ran from the real competition.

He's made a load of cash though, I'll give him that... given his immaturity though I wonder how much he will have left when he's done fighting. See also: Tyson, Mike.

my thoughts - don't hate the player, hate the game. i'm certainly no mayweather apologist, but i do think a lot of the blame here should belong to the ref. boxing ref's are notoriously incompetent, most notably for recently allowing a lot of fighters to stay in the ring while there are clearly too injured to fight. this ref should have never allowed the kiss, and should have made sure they were separated until they were ready to fight.
    that said, the hit was legal, but it was still cheap for floyd to hit ortiz with his gloves down. i think the consensus on what happened is that ortiz had been getting to mayweather more than he was used to, and the time out after the head-butt gave mayweather some time to think about how he needed to look for a knockout more quickly.

that said, this is the sort of stuff that has made boxing really exciting since i've become a fan about two years ago - aside from the fights, you really don't know what's going to happen. did anyone watch last year when paul johnson punched that cintron and he rolled out of the ring? how crazy was that? plus, every single interview floyd mayweather has ever given has been just a delight to watch. if only other pro sports athletes spoke with as much pomp as he instead of offering up harmless banalities.

Here's a great video that shows clearly that the ref motioned the fighters to continue fighting a good 7-10 seconds before the knockout. The first instruction a boxer is given is to protect themselves at all times. The first rule of boxing is to protect yourself at all times. Heck, dare I say a cardinal rule of life is to protect yourself at all times. Anyone who's been in a fight or seen a fight will tell you that if you approach your opponent with your hands down, the first thing they will do is punch you in the face. Mayweather didn't do anything wrong, and I think it's a lot of people who don't like Mayweather's braggadocio that are finding this wrong. I consider myself a boxing purist (been watching it since I was born--full disclosure: I'm a huge Mayweather fan) and Mayweather's hit was legal. Ortiz just got caught slippin and Money made him pay.

Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Looks like HBO has taken the videos down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Looks like HBO has taken the videos down.
    Get it while you can (this just posted):

While reading about it, I thought it was going to be more of a sucker punch than it was. Ortiz was stupid to not defend himself. He already hugged Mayweather once to apologize and was separated from him not once, but TWICE before the final blow landed. The ref didn't do the greatest job in the world, but did signal to begin the fight again as best as I can tell. Ortiz should have been ready. In any event, Mayweather apparently was dominating the fight beforehand.

In case anyone's interested, I wrote this about the fight. I'm not saying I would have done it, but Floyd was pretty much completely justified in what he did. And I'd like to never see Joe Cortez ref a fight of this magnitude again. His time has come and gone.