Pitt may pose a problem

How is our great Duke man Dick Groat going to feel when Pitt and Duke get together on the court? Maybe he'll have to get a temp to work the games.

Ha!

He'll be happy that he can see more Duke games in person.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    He'll be happy that he can see more Duke games in person.
    He's been the Pitt radio guy for sometime. Not sure if he's still got that gig.

Groat started a great run of Duke players from PA. Bernie Janicki, Ronnie Mayer, Rudy D'Emilo, Joe Belmont, Paul Schmidt, Doug Kistler, Jack Marin and Steve Vacendak, all in a 15-year period.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Hopefully, he's in good health. He's 80. Pushing 81. Unlikely that he's still broadcasting games. I say ship him a new Duke hat, have K invite him to breakfast and give him a new pic of his induction into the Duke HoF (1975). All will be well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Hopefully, he's in good health. He's 80. Pushing 81. Unlikely that he's still broadcasting games. I say ship him a new Duke hat, have K invite him to breakfast and give him a new pic of his induction into the Duke HoF (1975). All will be well.
    He was doing the Pitt games last season. Don't know about the upcoming season. He also owns a golf course in the Pittsburgh area.

Groat started a great run of Duke players from PA. Bernie Janicki, Ronnie Mayer, Rudy D'Emilo, Joe Belmont, Paul Schmidt, Doug Kistler, Jack Marin and Steve Vacendak, all in a 15-year period.
    To elaborate on Jim's reply:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=24314

Groat is a Pitt guy through and through. I read an article a few months ago about it but can't find it. I don't think there is any doubt he'd root for Pitt.

Dean Smith figured out the trend and established his program with the help of Larry Miller, Dennis Wuycik (DeVenzio's high school teammate), Steve Previs, and George Karl. Thought he had Tom McMillen, which is another story.

That was a good period for PA high school basketball, which hasn't had quite the same run in recent decades, not to mention the rise of the Big East to capture recruits like Billy Owens. Be interesting to see the trends in ACC recruiting with the addition of Pitt and Syracuse.

Fanciful fun

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    Saw Groat, a two-year classmate, at last year's Pitt game at Villanova, and he was as genuine as always. My view is clouded by nostalgia, but a match between Groat, Janicki, Marin, Belmont , and Banks at their peaks would give any other state's best five a helluva game.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke09 View Post
    Groat is a Pitt guy through and through. I read an article a few months ago about it but can't find it. I don't think there is any doubt he'd root for Pitt.
    He is also a Duke guy through and through. I believe he sent his daughter to Duke. He is an employee of Pitt as their radio guy, but he has said in the past that he wants a national championship game of Duke v. Pitt.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by PaIronDuke View Post
    Saw Groat, a two-year classmate, at last year's Pitt game at Villanova, and he was as genuine as always. My view is clouded by nostalgia, but a match between Groat, Janicki, Marin, Belmont , and Banks at their peaks would give any other state's best five a helluva game.
    New Jersey says "game on." We'll bring JWill, Kyrie, Spanarkel, Verga, and Zoubek. Hurley, Ro, Billerman, Alaa, and Lance will be our bench.

The winner gets to play Team DC Metro: Grant, Tommy, Billy King, Ferry, and Dawkins. Good luck with that.
    Last edited by burnspbesq; 09-20-2011 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    He is also a Duke guy through and through. I believe he sent his daughter to Duke. He is an employee of Pitt as their radio guy, but he has said in the past that he wants a national championship game of Duke v. Pitt.
    Dick Groat's daughter, Tracey, is married to Lou Goetz, former assistant coach under Bill Foster.

Similarly, who is Paulus to root for when Syracuse football comes to town?

I remember that Mr. Groat received some sort of award before Pitt played Duke at MSG back in 2007, and got an extended standing O from everyone in attendance.

Found an old link for that game, where it says he's a Pitt guy (and a basketball guy) through and through, although it's clear he still has a soft spot for Duke. Coach K was the one who called Groat and told him he had been elected to the college basketball hall of fame.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07352/842549-175.stm

No doubt he will root for the Panthers, but I suspect he will look forward to Pitt's away games at Duke (especially in January) much more than, well, Marquette or Providence...
    Last edited by Turk; 09-20-2011 at 05:51 PM.
    "Quality is not an option!"