Thread: Emmy stuff

Emmy stuff

So, I am cool with Julie Bowen and Ty Burrell winnings Emmys. They are both fabulous on Modern Family and consistently make me laugh.

But, I have to ask, if they are not the lead actors on that show, who are?

I'll say this, based on all the winners so far, there is little question that Modern Family and Friday Night Lights are going to win best Comedy and Drama. A pair of deserving winners, by the way.

-Jason "barely watching the Emmys tho-- watching some awesome football" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Hm, had a feeling Mad Men was going to win... Nuts. Wanted some Emmys for some Dukies

If Boardwalk Empire (a period drama, on HBO!) couldn't break the streak, nothing will. Mad Men will win Best Drama until it goes off the air, and it still has a pretty good chance to win the year after that.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, I am cool with Julie Bowen and Ty Burrell winnings Emmys. They are both fabulous on Modern Family and consistently make me laugh.

But, I have to ask, if they are not the lead actors on that show, who are?
    Ed O'Neill is the only person on that show that I would consider a fraudulent Supporting Actor. He's a Lead. The other 5 adults on the show could go either way. Part of the problem is that the show spends too much time on Phil and Claire's household, which is the least funny of the three.

Their wins probably have a lot to do with episode submission. I like Ty Burrell, generally, but it took me about a season and a half before I found Phil Dunphy funny. He finally brought it in the episode where he plays bad cop and Claire plays good cop. If that's the episode he submitted, I'd probably pick him over Jesse Tyler Ferguson (who only delivers in every single episode). Julie Bowen is easily the weakest of the adults, humor-wise, but I respect the physicality of the performance -- I assume she submitted the "Slow Down Your Neighbors" episode. Also, she's been a solid TV actress almost continuously in the last 10 years, which shows surprising endurance for a living human skeleton.

Ranking Modern Family characters is a subjective and therefore pointless exercise. That said, from funniest to least funny:

1. Lily
    2. Mitchell
    3. Gloria
    4. Cameron
    5. Phil
    6. Jay
    7. Luke
    8. Alex
    9. Manny
    10. Claire
    11. Haley

As the show gets older, the adults will realize they made the same mistake as the cast of Friends and will all go Lead, giving the children a chance in the Supporting fields.