Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Great endings (and lousy ones) is a fun thread. It is worth noting that most shows don't really get an ending. They just get cancelled without much warning. Also, it is exceedingly rare for a show to end while it is still in good form. Shows that get planned endings tend to be ones that have faded from their glory years and everyone knows it is time to move on. That is not exactly a good perch from which to launch a successful ending.

I think Star Trek: TNG was one of the best ending episodes ever. Simply fabulous to journey through all those time periods and reflect on where the show began to where it had come. My wife, who is not a big sci-fi fan, loved that show and we often talk about how great that one ended (especially compared to utter crap like Lost).

Another one I really enjoyed was a short-lived show that struggled enough so that the producers knew they were getting cancelled and could at least somewhat wrap up their concepts -- Journeyman. It never had much of an audience but I really enjoyed that program and felt the final episode, which was only episode 13, struck a beautiful note and served to really make the entire program make sense.

Of course, they all pale in comparison to M.A.S.H. and BJ's "Goodbye" message to Hawkeye. That is the standard to which all others will be measured.

-Jason "in retrospect, this post does not add much -- sorry" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    You should have an "incomplete" part too, called "The Deadwood Category."
    Even though the final episode of Deadwood wasn't a planned finale, in retrospect it kind of wrapped up the show nicely. Granted there were threads left untied, but, for an unintentional ending of the show, Swearengen making the decision to kill an innocent girl to prevent a war that would destroy the town, then cleaning up the blood with his own hands, was great. The show ultimately was about the good, bad, and ugly of the people that settled the frontier, and that scene encapsulated it in a nutshell.

Speaking of HBO shows, an ending that ranked up there with Sopranos for craptasticness had to be Big Love. Some guy, who's never been a particularly major character or threat, suddenly losses his marbles and shoots Bill. Where did that come from? What was the point of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Friday Night Lights had a great ending - really tied things up nicely. However, that was to expected from such a superior show.
    Absolutely loved the FNL finale! Other finales that come to mind that were awesome were The West Wing and The Fresh Prince.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

I think the Entourage folks were shooting for a mix of a "happily ever after" ending with a "and they go on to have even more adventures" ending (ala Cheers). They ended up missing on both. Ari as always was brilliant, and I liked the ambiguous "will he or won't he" ending.

Agreed the stuff with E and Sloan was pretty terrible, though - is there seriously any way the truth won't come out? It's such a paper-thin line, and too many people know the truth for it to stay secret.