Comcast AnyRoom DVR

I currently have Comcast Triple Play service and am not looking to switch to Verizon or use Tivo. I have 3 TVs, each with its own DVR. Sometimes we have an issue with the kids where a program is only taped in our family room and my wife and I want to watch something else so we kick them out . But since "their" show wasn't taped anywhere else in the house, they get annoyed.

Comcast recently launched their AnyRoom DVR in my area. It allows you to tape all your shows, but only on the main terminal, but you can watch any of the shows on up to three other sub-terminals. This sounds like a good idea, since it will address the situation above, so I plan to call Comcast to ask about cost and make sure I understood how this works. But I thought I would also check with my intelligent friends on DBR for your thoughts and experiences with this service. Any recommended questions for Comcast are also appreciated.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I currently have Comcast Triple Play service and am not looking to switch to Verizon or use Tivo. I have 3 TVs, each with its own DVR. Sometimes we have an issue with the kids where a program is only taped in our family room and my wife and I want to watch something else so we kick them out . But since "their" show wasn't taped anywhere else in the house, they get annoyed.

Comcast recently launched their AnyRoom DVR in my area. It allows you to tape all your shows, but only on the main terminal, but you can watch any of the shows on up to three other sub-terminals. This sounds like a good idea, since it will address the situation above, so I plan to call Comcast to ask about cost and make sure I understood how this works. But I thought I would also check with my intelligent friends on DBR for your thoughts and experiences with this service. Any recommended questions for Comcast are also appreciated.
    Can't help you per se because I "fired" Comcast 3 years ago even though I know Brian Roberts pretty well. The multi-room DVR I have used with Verizon is a Motorola box and has operated flawlessly since I changed providers. Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0PzNqXQMqk

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Just make sure the hard drive is big enough to support your family's needs. My kids dominate the memory of ours. Some systems allow you to download to a second hard drive so you can save important things, like Duke games, forever.
    ~rthomas

I'll preface this with disclosure that I work for Verizon, but I'll give you my honest opinions.

The FiOS Multiroom DVR works great, you record your shows on the one DVR and can then view content on any other set top box in the house. I've had it since moving to a FiOS-capable location in 2009 and really enjoy the service. The newer DVR (there's a Cisco and Motorola version) has a 500GB harddrive and holds a ton content. With the new interactive media guide, you can also add your own external drive to bump up your DVR storage (for example: a 1TB Western Digital My DVR Extender). Also, know that there are STB bundles to lower the price a bit (for example 1 MRDVR = $20/mo, 1 STB = $10/mo, but combined, you get a few bucks back).

I haven't been doing as much competitive research lately and don't know much about the Comcast solution.

BTW, FiOS TV is great, but the Internet service is tremendous (see below)
    [IMG][/IMG]
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR