Irving named to select team

From press release

"Featuring nine players owning USA Basketball experience, including the 2011-12 NBA Rookie of the Year Kyrie Irving and the 2010-11 NBA Rookie of the Year runner-up John Wall, USA Basketball today announced 13 players for the 2012 USA Men's Select Team that will train against the 2012 USA Basketball Men's National Team during its July 6-12 training camp in Las Vegas, Nev.

Named to the 2012 USA Basketball Select squad were: Ryan Anderson (Orlando Magic / California); DeJuan Blair (San Antonio Spurs / Pittsburgh); DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings / Kentucky); DeMar DeRozan (Toronto Raptors / USC); Derrick Favors (Utah Jazz / Georgia Tech); Paul George (Indiana Pacers / Fresno State); Taj Gibson (Chicago Bulls / USC); Gordon Hayward (Utah Jazz / Butler); Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers / Duke); Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio Spurs / San Diego State); Jeremy Lin (New York Knicks / Harvard); Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors / Washington State); and Wall (Washington Wizards / Kentucky)."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Well they won't be in need at the point guard position, with both Wall and Lin also on the team they've got that covered. Congrats to Kyrie; as Jerry Colangelo points out, he's in good company.
    “Being chosen for the Select Team is quite an honor, and it’s an important step in becoming involved in USA Basketball’s National Team program in the future. In the past, current national team finalists like Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love, Derrick Rose, LaMarcus Aldridge, Andre Iguodala, as well as many other outstanding players got their USA National Team start through the Select Team.”
    http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/11124742/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I wonder if Kyrie will be able to accomplish what a former Duke point guard was able to when playing for the Select Team...

http://www.thevictoryformation.com/2...how-only-loss/

Maybe I've missed it or not familiar with selection protocol but why isn't he being considered for a spot on the actual team? I mean seems like a no brainer to me especially with Derrick Rose hurt.
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    Maybe I've missed it or not familiar with selection protocol but why isn't he being considered for a spot on the actual team? I mean seems like a no brainer to me especially with Derrick Rose hurt.
    Because we already have several other options at PG, including Westbrook, Williams, and Chris Paul, as well as good ballhandlers in Wade, James, and Bryant. If more than one of the PG guys decides not to play this summer, then Irving might be a possibility. But there are just too many other guys that are way more proven.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Because we already have several other options at PG, including Westbrook, Williams, and Chris Paul, as well as good ballhandlers in Wade, James, and Bryant. If more than one of the PG guys decides not to play this summer, then Irving might be a possibility. But there are just too many other guys that are way more proven.
    I would have to think Irving would very much be in the 2016 mix. But I agree with CDu that he's a tad behind in the pecking order for this summer.

It's something of a golden age for NBA point guards right now. The relative decline in hand-checking likely has something to do with this but there a lot of quick, strong 6--2/3/4 players who can get to the rim with regularity right now.