Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

Bridesmaids - The Movie, Discussion with Spoilers

Finally went to see Bridesmaids on Monday night. The whole movie I just wanted to wash and comb Kristen Wiig's hair. Whoever did hair and make-up on that movie should be chased out of LA.

OK, it was funny, I enjoyed it, I believe it's a comedy that guys probably liked, but really, did we need the scene of women throwing up on each other and doing that thing I can't say here in the sink and on the street? Really? Can a film not be considered a comedy unless stuff like that happens? Also, the meltdown at the bridal shower - completely unrealistic, not very funny, and also not necessary. Puppies as party favors? Comedy gold! Cliched slapstick ruining of the giant cookie and the chocolate fountain? C'mon writers, be better than that! Or in the immoral words of Homer Simpson, "Be funnier!"

I guess what I'm saying is even though I enjoyed it and I would recommend it, I'm disappointed that it didn't try to be just a little bit better instead of falling back on some of the same kind of crass humor that every other comedy gunning for an R rating throws at us.

Jon Hamm? I love Jon Hamm.

Guess I have to disagree. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Just about every moment. I thought it was the best movie of the summer...by a decent amount.

Yes, the bridesmaids dress scene was vulgar - the best thing about it was that it was women doing it. Basically trying to stand up to the idea that only men can do vulgar comedy (I mean in the Hangover when they were getting tasered, that was sophomoric as well, so were numerous scenes in American Pie, Animal House, Stripes, you name it...only this time it was women).

I thought the scene for the Paris party was spot on. People do stuff like that - seriously. And it was great having a character call them out on it.

I loved the scene on the plane. Great, great stuff. I loved the very end after the credits.

But for me, the best part is that despite all the slapstick stuff, this movie felt real. People reach their mid 30's and feel the pressure to get married, and the pressure from their friends getting married and moving on. I know a ton of women like the main character (and men as well), who feel they can't win, even when winning can be right in front of them.

Yes, the bridesmaids dress scene was vulgar - the best thing about it was that it was women doing it. Basically trying to stand up to the idea that only men can do vulgar comedy (I mean in the Hangover when they were getting tasered, that was sophomoric as well, so were numerous scenes in American Pie, Animal House, Stripes, you name it...only this time it was women).
    You kinda just made my point for me, that whole scene felt like "Yeah, you've seen stuff like this before but this time it's women doing it!"

I loved The Hangover and I totally buy Zach Gallifinakis or Ed Helms or Bradley Cooper behaving in such a manner. Maya Rudolph and Kristen Wiig shouldn't stoop so low. Animal House started the raunchy comedy drama so nothing in that movie could be considered cliche when you saw it for the first time, but really, if you cut out John Belushi peeping scene, it wouldn't be R-rated today, maybe even if you didn't cut that scene. And speaking of raunchy comedies, Animal House manages to wallow in the muck at the same time it's rising above it. Stripes too. Throw in Ghostbusters and I'm able to convince myself that noone but Harold Ramis should be writing comedy scripts. None of those movies has as gratuitous a pandering to the poop joke loving crowd scene as Melissa McCarthy sitting on a sink. (Yes, Melissa McCarthy is a scream, make more movies, please.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    You kinda just made my point for me, that whole scene felt like "Yeah, you've seen stuff like this before but this time it's women doing it!"

I loved The Hangover and I totally buy Zach Gallifinakis or Ed Helms or Bradley Cooper behaving in such a manner. Maya Rudolph and Kristen Wiig shouldn't stoop so low. Animal House started the raunchy comedy drama so nothing in that movie could be considered cliche when you saw it for the first time, but really, if you cut out John Belushi peeping scene, it wouldn't be R-rated today, maybe even if you didn't cut that scene. And speaking of raunchy comedies, Animal House manages to wallow in the muck at the same time it's rising above it. Stripes too. Throw in Ghostbusters and I'm able to convince myself that noone but Harold Ramis should be writing comedy scripts. None of those movies has as gratuitous a pandering to the poop joke loving crowd scene as Melissa McCarthy sitting on a sink. (Yes, Melissa McCarthy is a scream, make more movies, please.)
    I would credit this new level of comedy to the Farrelly Brothers. Although of the same comedic genre, they seem to have brought it up a notch from the Harold Ramis films.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I would credit this new level of comedy to the Farrelly Brothers. Although of the same comedic genre, they seem to have brought it up a notch from the Harold Ramis films.

Up? Louder, yes. But in no way better.

And speaking of raunchy comedies, Animal House manages to wallow in the muck at the same time it's rising above it. Stripes too. Throw in Ghostbusters and I'm able to convince myself that noone but Harold Ramis should be writing comedy scripts.
    Harold Ramis really, really needs to write more! Here is the complete list of his brilliance on film --

Animal House
    Meatballs
    Cadyshack
    Stripes
    Ghostbusters
    Back to School
    Club Paradise (a miss)
    Armed and Dangerous (another miss)
    Ghostbusters II
    Groundhog Day
    Analyze This
    Bedazzled (3rd miss)
    Analyze That (almost a miss)
    Year One (another miss)

I chalk up the past few bad ones to the fact that he does not write as much any more as he did in the 80s. Dude was a machine of brilliant comedy in the 80s!! I mean, Animal House, Caddyshack, Stripes, Ghostbusters, and Groundhog Day could legitimately be someone's list of the 5 best comedies of all time!!

There is talk that Harold and Dan Ackroyd are writing Ghostbusters 3. Anything to get him back to writing more often and putting out great comedy... please!!

-Jason "he's pretty good as a director too-- though not quite as good" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I agree with BostonDevil. It was funny, but I think they were trying to appeal to the guys by going scatological. It was a little too gross to me, and I grew up with two older brothers in a very scatologically-humored family. Like I said, it was funny, but some of those scenes just made me think, seriously? you had to go there?

Finally went to see Bridesmaids on Monday night. The whole movie I just wanted to wash and comb Kristen Wiig's hair. Whoever did hair and make-up on that movie should be chased out of LA.

OK, it was funny, I enjoyed it, I believe it's a comedy that guys probably liked, but really, did we need the scene of women throwing up on each other and doing that thing I can't say here in the sink and on the street? Really? Can a film not be considered a comedy unless stuff like that happens? Also, the meltdown at the bridal shower - completely unrealistic, not very funny, and also not necessary. Puppies as party favors? Comedy gold! Cliched slapstick ruining of the giant cookie and the chocolate fountain? C'mon writers, be better than that! Or in the immoral words of Homer Simpson, "Be funnier!"

I guess what I'm saying is even though I enjoyed it and I would recommend it, I'm disappointed that it didn't try to be just a little bit better instead of falling back on some of the same kind of crass humor that every other comedy gunning for an R rating throws at us.

Jon Hamm? I love Jon Hamm.
    i definitely agree with most of this - having heard all of the clamor surrounding it, i had gotten the impression that it was going to rise above what we have come to expect from romantic comedies or chick flicks in general. i was really disappointed with how it relied on lame rom com tropes, like the sweet love interest, and the idiotic finding herself montage.

that said, i found it very funny, with the exception of the bathroom scene (which i get - it's usually men doing those types of scenes, but was unfunny and completely unnecessary).

Unnecessary?

If you think the dress shop scene was unnecessary for this movie, and many of you for some reason do, then you've missed the whole point of the movie from the producer's perspective (that would be Kristen Wigg, btw). The gross out scenes were the best part of the movie, the plane and the dress shop. Maybe you should have gone with the unwashed masses the weekend it opened. Between my wife (tears streaming out of her eyes), the woman to my left (she claimed that she almost wet her pants from laughing so hard), and the whole theater in hysterics, the dress shop scene was the highlight of the movie.

Of course, the theater was full to the brim, so everything gets heightened.

If you've waited this long to see it, then you probably forget that the promos back in March & April touting it as essentially the female version of the "hangover."
    Which - it - was.

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    If you've waited this long to see it, then you probably forget that the promos back in March & April touting it as essentially the female version of the "hangover."
    Which - it - was.
    this was my problem with it - while it was touted as a female "hangover," it - simply - wasn't.
    the hangover was nothing more than a comedy - there were serious romantic plotlines, or friendships to develop or anything

to be clear, i didn't think the hangover was very funny, but it was a straight up comedy. bridesmaids, while very funnier in some parts (and less so in others) also included the same dumb elements that every romantic comedy has, making it nothing more than a very good romantic comedy. but to suggest that it was some bold attempt at a wild and outrageous comedic romp with entirely female leads is silly. tell me - how many straight up comedies include inspirational cupcake decoration montages?

Which - it - was.
    I pretty much wait this long to see every movie. Getting to the movies (unless it's for the kids) takes me awhile. Once I've missed the first two weekends, I figure why not go when the price drops by 3 bucks. But I have a good memory, I was expecting the female version of The Hangover which I agree was very funny. Where exactly was the extended poop joke scene in The Hangover? I remember a priceless cameo by Mike Tyson, I remember Duke's own Ken Jeong rockin' his limited screen time, I remember the romantic comedy elements of Ed Helms's character arc. I don't remember all that many jokes that relied on the bathroom, other than the tiger. Drug use, sure, but poop jokes? Not so much. Watching women throw up on each other and using the sink as a toilet isn't particularly funny to me, others may disagree, but I maintain that a scene of that nature is pandering to the lowest common denominator in humor and I wish the women in involved had risen above the cheap laughs.

I wish the women in involved had risen above the cheap laughs.
    So, is your issue the fact that women were doing lame humor (something you believe should remain a male bastion), or that it was from these particular actresses?

For better or worse, this is the only movie my wife and I have seen in the theatres in the past year or so, or maybe since the first Hangover. Our movie watching has been curtailed a lot with young kids as others have mentioned. We both really enjoyed it and I especially enjoyed the car (trying to get attention) scene. I enjoy almost every movie I see, so am not the best critic.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    So, is your issue the fact that women were doing lame humor (something you believe should remain a male bastion), or that it was from these particular actresses?
    More these particular actresses, or more importantly Maya Rudolph as one of the writers. A poop joke scene, even when done by women, is still a cliche. My issue is with the writing so much more than with the acting. They acted the scene just fine, I still think it was cheap and lazy writing to include it, now matter how funny it might be.

(Some of you know me and my writing around here. Neither of my award-winning comedies relied on poop jokes. They didn't rely on curse words either. My curse-word laden comedy, although IMHO quite funny, didn't win an award.)

A poop joke scene, even when done by women, is still a cliche.
    Now I feel confused. I see about 30 movies / year in theaters - and dozens more on HBO, Starz & Netflix. I can count on one hand the number of movies with a poop joke in them: Along Came Polly and the upcoming Jonah Hill remake of Adventures in Babysitting.

Of course, if you spend a lot of time watching Louis CK, it's possible to get a poop joke (or some other bodily function) pretty much every 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    Now I feel confused. I see about 30 movies / year in theaters - and dozens more on HBO, Starz & Netflix. I can count on one hand the number of movies with a poop joke in them: Along Came Polly and the upcoming Jonah Hill remake of Adventures in Babysitting.

Of course, if you spend a lot of time watching Louis CK, it's possible to get a poop joke (or some other bodily function) pretty much every 5 minutes.
    Wait a second... they're remaking ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING?!?! And they're adding a poop joke? And JONAH HILL is in it?!?! OMG, I think I just had a stroke.

Said it before, I'll say it again...yes I liked the slapstick comedy (also saw it in a packed theater that was dying laughing with those scenes)...but to me what made the movie work was its realistic feel. The characters were utterly believable: the woman getting married who was nervous about it...the unmarried woman who sees the years piling up and feels the pressure to be married and the fear that she's losing her friends...the married trophy wife who's step children hate her and who wants so desperately to have friends, but sabotages all her efforts to do so...the guy who is nice and always seems to finish last...the cocky jerk who dumps on women but always seems to have a hot girlfriend or two. Totally, completely believable.

The Hangover, on the other hand (which I liked by the way) was completely 100% unbelievable. You don't steal a cop car. You don't steal a Tiger from Mike Tyson's house. You don't pull your own tooth just because you took a drug that makes you forget stuff. Again - funny. I liked it. But to me Bridesmaids was better (and much, much better than Hangover 2).

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    to me what made the movie work was its realistic feel. The characters were utterly believable: the woman getting married who was nervous about it...the unmarried woman who sees the years piling up and feels the pressure to be married and the fear that she's losing her friends...the married trophy wife who's step children hate her and who wants so desperately to have friends, but sabotages all her efforts to do so...the guy who is nice and always seems to finish last...the cocky jerk who dumps on women but always seems to have a hot girlfriend or two. Totally, completely believable.
    i can't tell if this is sarcastic or not. what you've described is a list of every single caricature from modern rom coms. these cliches are what made the movie so disappointing for everyone else.

Not sarcasm at all. Clearly we need to agree to disagree.

The movie was a huge hit over the summer. Huge. It had tons of repeat viewings. When you say "disappointment to others" you mean the small subgroup here that seemed to not like it. Pretty much everyone I know who saw it really, really liked it.

To be clear, I didn't dislike it. I liked it. I'm not sorry I went to see it. I'm just sorry that a couple of scenes let me down with some lazy writing. And truthfully, that might not be the writers fault, it might be the producers/studio execs. I still think Maya Rudolph should have said no. I bet the movie would have made the same $200 million without showing women throwing up in each others' hair or Maya taking a dump in the street.

Somebody upthread mentioned that poop jokes are kinda rare. Perhaps we define poop jokes differently. Too me poop joke is an all encompassing phrase that includes - stepping in cow/pig/bird/dog poop, disasterous results of diaper changing, passing gas (either the noise or the resulting smell, both count), using anything other than a toilet as a toilet, mistaking other objects for poop (Caddyshack is forgiven for setting the standard), and Austin Powers movies.