Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
I still think Maya Rudolph should have said no. I bet the movie would have made the same $200 million without showing women throwing up in each others' hair or Maya taking a dump in the street.
Just so we are clear, you are saying that you think Maya Rudolph -- who's two most recent films were Grown Ups and MacGruber, in which she played medium-sized supporting roles in each -- should have turned down the role as the #2 character in this film because it was too low-brow at times.

Ummm, no offense my friend, but lets just say that your budding career as an agent giving career advice to actresses is not getting off to a good start

Bridesmaids has been a huge career boost for the women in it. I like Maya, but she does not exactly have leading lady looks and she doesn't come off as funny most of the time as Tina Fey or Amy Poehler. I think there is an excellent chance that this will be Maya's biggest film and biggest role of her career. In fact, if the horrible were to happen and Maya were to die today, her obit would call her "comedic actress who starred in Bridesmaids and appeared on SNL for a decade." Yes, Bridesmaids would come first, before SNL. Nothing else about her career would be mentioned... unless it was a really long obit.

I can understand that some folks found parts of Bridesmaids to be "gross out" low-brow comedy. But it was not trying to be high-end. It was going for those kind of jokes and the thing that sets it apart from many, many other films that try the same thing is that they worked exceptionally well in this movie. That is something to be praised because goodness knows, we see more than a few movies that try this kind of thing and just fall horribly flat (anyone see The Change Up? Blech!).

--Jason "I bet if you asked Melissa McCarthy, Kristyn Wigg, Maya and the other Bridesmaids; they'd say this movie was the best thing to happen to their career so far" Evans