Smokey Joe's Cafe

This afternoon my wife and I went to a matinee of Smokey Joe's Cafe put on by an excellent rep theater company where I live in California.

It is a master collection of Leiber and Stoller tunes, which should appeal to every rock fan from the mid-fifties to now. Aside from my (our) enjoyment in our local theater, it set me to playing on the internet to see what I could find out about some of the lesser known tunes.

What I discovered, though, was that the musical has a North Carolina version opening September 16 in Clinton NC (off I-40 in Sampson County) and running through September 25 at the Sampson Community Theater. So if you are interested, take a look. The songs, at least, will be the same, even if the choreography is different from what I saw.

I'm pretty sure, though, if the voices are good, you will thoroughly enjoy it, even though I'm just making an educated guess about the quality. Lieber and Stoller can make a legitimate claim to being the fathers of rock and roll. They certainly took rhythm and blues to a different place. (Jerry Leiber just died two weeks ago at age 78.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    This afternoon my wife and I went to a matinee of Smokey Joe's Cafe put on by an excellent rep theater company where I live in California.

It is a master collection of Leiber and Stoller tunes, which should appeal to every rock fan from the mid-fifties to now. Aside from my (our) enjoyment in our local theater, it set me to playing on the internet to see what I could find out about some of the lesser known tunes.

What I discovered, though, was that the musical has a North Carolina version opening September 16 in Clinton NC (off I-40 in Sampson County) and running through September 25 at the Sampson Community Theater. So if you are interested, take a look. The songs, at least, will be the same, even if the choreography is different from what I saw.

I'm pretty sure, though, if the voices are good, you will thoroughly enjoy it, even though I'm just making an educated guess about the quality. Lieber and Stoller can make a legitimate claim to being the fathers of rock and roll. They certainly took rhythm and blues to a different place. (Jerry Leiber just died two weeks ago at age 78.)
    I second this review!

I had the privilege of seeing this musical featuring Gladys Knight in Las Vegas some years ago. It's an out of this world reminder of same fabulous music. The same week I enjoyed Forever Plaid, a very entertaining musical crafted around music of the fifties.

We saw this several years ago as part of our Broadway South season package at Raleigh Memorial Auditorium. Very enjoyable show but my wife and I both adore old rock and roll.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    We saw this several years ago as part of our Broadway South season package at Raleigh Memorial Auditorium. Very enjoyable show but my wife and I both adore old rock and roll.
    Mrs. Jarhead and I saw that same show in Raleigh, and loved it. We had season tickets, and Smokey Joe was included. To be honest, I was not familiar with it, and wanted to give the tickets away. The Mrs. prevailed, and I really enjoyed it. She hates rock and roll, but she loved that show. She also is a big Elvis fan. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Mrs. Jarhead and I saw that same show in Raleigh, and loved it. We had season tickets, and Smokey Joe was included. To be honest, I was not familiar with it, and wanted to give the tickets away. The Mrs. prevailed, and I really enjoyed it. She hates rock and roll, but she loved that show. She also is a big Elvis fan. Go figure.
    Come Fly Away, another Twyla Tharp production, will be at the DPAC next month. This is basically a Frank Sinatra review/musical. We thoroughly enjoyed her production of Movin' Out, which was a Billy Joel review/musical. I'd guess Mrs Jarhead would like Frankie baby and his music. If she likes that, you could also buy her tix for Rock of Ages, an 80s musical review of the "big hair" bands. She might not like that one so much though.

I went to the Broadway show at Raleigh Memorial Auditorium also. March/April 2005 timeline. Great show and music! Many options for the Arts with shows in Raleigh, DPAC, and Greensboro Auditorium, and surrounding universities and other venues.

My overall favorite is still WICKED !!

Tharp?

Come Fly Away, another Twyla Tharp production, will be at the DPAC next month. This is basically a Frank Sinatra review/musical. We thoroughly enjoyed her production of Movin' Out, which was a Billy Joel review/musical. I'd guess Mrs Jarhead would like Frankie baby and his music. If she likes that, you could also buy her tix for Rock of Ages, an 80s musical review of the "big hair" bands. She might not like that one so much though.
    Not sure what Twyla Tharp has to do with Smokey Joe. She's not listed in either the Broadway production or my local one. Maybe she directed the Raleigh version a few years ago?

My program says: "Originally produced on Broadway by Richard Frankel, Thomas Viertel, Steven Baruch, Jujamcyn Theaters/Jack Viertel, Rick Steiner, Frederic H. Mayerson, and Center Theatre GRoup/AhmansonTheatre/Gordon Davidson."

Our director was Robert Barry Fleming. He's a professional director and head of the theater department at the University of San Diego.

Aside from all this, the Sampson Theater version is not tied to the Broadway choreography; as Fleming explained to us, licensees are only bound to use the song list in the same order, though the song may be adjusted for the singer's gender. The set, the singers and the dancing are all up to the local director.

Not sure what Twyla Tharp has to do with Smokey Joe. She's not listed in either the Broadway production or my local one. Maybe she directed the Raleigh version a few years ago?

My program says: "Originally produced on Broadway by Richard Frankel, Thomas Viertel, Steven Baruch, Jujamcyn Theaters/Jack Viertel, Rick Steiner, Frederic H. Mayerson, and Center Theatre GRoup/AhmansonTheatre/Gordon Davidson."

Our director was Robert Barry Fleming. He's a professional director and head of the theater department at the University of San Diego.

Aside from all this, the Sampson Theater version is not tied to the Broadway choreography; as Fleming explained to us, licensees are only bound to use the song list in the same order, though the song may be adjusted for the singer's gender. The set, the singers and the dancing are all up to the local director.
    Nothing. I was just responding to Jarhead and his wife's enjoyment of Smokey Joe's and old time rock and roll and suggesting/thought she might like the Sinatra show which Tharp produced. They live in the area and we are friends with them and they are a tad older than us (think Sinatra, the early and earlier years but I won't divulge his age) and figured they might like to travel to Derm for the show this season. Kinda tangential, I know. Sorry for any confusion.

Nothing. I was just responding to Jarhead and his wife's enjoyment of Smokey Joe's and old time rock and roll and suggesting/thought she might like the Sinatra show which Tharp produced. They live in the area and we are friends with them and they are a tad older than us (think Sinatra, the early and earlier years but I won't divulge his age) and figured they might like to travel to Derm for the show this season. Kinda tangential, I know. Sorry for any confusion.
    OK on Tharp.

But I have no idea to what you refer when you use the phrase "old time rock and roll." Please remember what Sha Na Na said:

Rock 'n roll is here to stay, it will never die
    It was meant to be that way, though I don't know why
    I don't care what people say, rock 'n roll is here to stay
    (We don't care what people say, rock 'n roll is here to stay)
    or

"The King is dead," said former Beatle John Lennon last night. "But rock 'n' roll will never die. Long live the King." --John Lennon on the occasion of Elvis' death.
    but, most accurately

Danny and the Juniors give credit to Little Richard for the line.

Since rock and roll will never die, it can never grow old. By definition, therefore, there is no such thing as "old time rock and roll." (But its practitioners may need a hip replacement or an atrial ablation.)

Got that, Youngster?!

(I'm at least 5 years older than you. Maybe 10. But I'm about 10 years younger than Jarhead.)

OK on Tharp.

But I have no idea to what you refer when you use the phrase "old time rock and roll." Please remember what Sha Na Na said:

or

but, most accurately

Since rock and roll will never die, it can never grow old. By definition, therefore, there is no such thing as "old time rock and roll." (But its practitioners may need a hip replacement or an atrial ablation.)

Got that, Youngster?!

(I'm at least 5 years older than you. Maybe 10. But I'm about 10 years younger than Jarhead.)
    Oh yes there is such a thing as "old time rock and roll" because these lyrics say so:

Just take those old records off the shelf
    I'll sit and listen to 'em by m'self
    Today's music ain't got the same soul
    I like that old time rock and roll

Don't try to take me to a Disco
    You'll never even get me out on the floor
    In 10 minutes I'll be late for the door
    (Chorus)
    Still like that old time rock and roll
    The kinda music just soothes the soul
    I reminisce about the days of old
    With that old time rock and roll

Won't go to hear 'em play a Tango
    I'd rather hear some blues or funky old soul
    There's only one sure way to get me to go
    Start playin' old time rock and roll

Call me a relic call me what'cha will
    Say I'm old fashioned say I'm over the hill
    Today's music ain't got the same soul

So does this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsSVcRYh8dE

But I fully understand, Grandpa.

Wait just a doggone minute! Have you bugged my house and hacked my laptop? Somebody, call the eff bee eye.

OK on Tharp.

or

but, most accurately

Got that, Youngster?!

On a related note:

Listen everybody let me tell you 'bout the rock 'n' roll
    Feel that rhythm and it's really gonna thrill your soul
    She said come along with me, to a land of make believe
    She said wamalama bamalama rock 'n' roll is king

She loves that rock 'n' roll and she plays it all night long
    That's all she ever tells me when I call her on the telephone
    She says feel that jumpin' beat, and git up on your feet
    She says wamalama bamalama rock 'n' roll is king

Chorus: Oh let those guitars play
    Play for me play for me
    Oh let that song ring out
    That's how it's meant to be

It rolls like a train that's comin' on down the track
    She rolled over Beethoven and she gave Tchaikovsky back
    She loves that drivin' beat, she goes dancin' on down the street

Chorus

When she comes around and I'm listenin' to the radio
    She says you can't do that 'cause all I wanna do is rock 'n' roll
    Now here I'm gonna stay where that music starts to play

On a related note:

Listen everybody let me tell you 'bout the rock 'n' roll
    Feel that rhythm and it's really gonna thrill your soul
    She said come along with me, to a land of make believe

She loves that rock 'n' roll and she plays it all night long
    That's all she ever tells me when I call her on the telephone
    She says feel that jumpin' beat, and git up on your feet

Chorus: Oh let those guitars play
    Play for me play for me
    Oh let that song ring out
    That's how it's meant to be

It rolls like a train that's comin' on down the track
    She rolled over Beethoven and she gave Tchaikovsky back
    She loves that drivin' beat, she goes dancin' on down the street

Chorus

When she comes around and I'm listenin' to the radio
    She says you can't do that 'cause all I wanna do is rock 'n' roll
    Now here I'm gonna stay where that music starts to play
    Ahh...!!! The ELO

OK on Tharp.

or

but, most accurately

Got that, Youngster?!

Today would have been Buddy Holly's 75th birthday. He sang "It Doesn't Matter Any More" but, with the influence he had on R&R in the approximate 18 months he toured and performed, I would beg to differ. One article I read referenced an album being recorded where a number of current artists recorded their favorite Holly song. That should be quite interesting.