Grand Canyon From Vegas

Planning a trip to Vegas and southern Utah during late September and would like to do a day trip to the Grand Canyon. Any advice on how to go? I've heard there are bus and helicoptor tours leaving from Vegas, with the latter being on the expensive side.

Worth a drive out there on my own?
    "There can BE only one."

A day trip? One day? By car you must be kidding. If you leave early you can comfortably do Zion, however.

I took a plane/bus tour but don't recall through whom. It was an all-day trip. Lot's of fun and definitely worth it. Make sure to take a jacket - it can be windy and cool up on the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    A day trip? One day? By car you must be kidding. ...
    If you do a "Thelma & Louise" you could make it from Vegas to the bottom of the Canyon in a day ...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    When I was there 3 years ago, I rented my car for $15 a day, and we rented a cabin on the south rim. It was a 6 hour drive, but thoroughly enjoyable and worth the trip. I don't mind long drives, especially in such an alien landscape; if you don't travel well for a while in a car you might not want to do this. We took lots of side detours and really had a great time. We did the Hoover dam tour on the way, stopped in a few towns to see if we could find thrift stores. (We did, they get rid of the same useless crap we get rid of.) And of course, once we got to the canyon...wow. I've been there before, but it never gets old. We were back in Vegas the following evening.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

We took about a 9 day family trip about 12 summers ago so the details are a bit fuzzy. We flew into Phoenix (got frequent flier miles we could not arrange for Vegas) and spent a day there. We then drove to Vegas and found the several hours we spent at the Hoover Dam to be outstanding. I think they have a new road now. We continued on to Vegas late that day and spent 3-4 days there without spending a cent on gambling. One of those days was a trip to Death Valley (National Monument, not the Clemson FB stadium). In July. And yes, I swear we were there on the hottest day of the year at 121 or 122 degrees. Incredible experience. We drove to the South Rim of Grand Canyon and spent the night and then spent the entire day there starting somewhat early that AM and drove to Sedona for the evening before flying back to NC on Sunday. Incredible trip, scenery, photos, etc. We did not have time to hike or take a ride on an "I'm a real wanker" to the bottom of the canyon but have read that the trip is rough but worth the expense and "discomfort." Rafting on the Colorado river would have been an absolute blast, too. Our children were 9, 13 and 15 at the time, IIRC and didn't complain "too" much. Wonderful trip if you have the time to make a vacation out of it.

Hope that helps.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    We took about a 9 day family trip about 12 summers ago so the details are a bit fuzzy. We flew into Phoenix (got frequent flier miles we could not arrange for Vegas) and spent a day there. We then drove to Vegas and found the several hours we spent at the Hoover Dam to be outstanding. I think they have a new road now. We continued on to Vegas late that day and spent 3-4 days there without spending a cent on gambling. One of those days was a trip to Death Valley (National Monument, not the Clemson FB stadium). In July. And yes, I swear we were there on the hottest day of the year at 121 or 122 degrees. Incredible experience. We drove to the South Rim of Grand Canyon and spent the night and then spent the entire day there starting somewhat early that AM and drove to Sedona for the evening before flying back to NC on Sunday. Incredible trip, scenery, photos, etc. We did not have time to hike or take a ride on an "I'm a real wanker" to the bottom of the canyon but have read that the trip is rough but worth the expense and "discomfort." Rafting on the Colorado river would have been an absolute blast, too. Our children were 9, 13 and 15 at the time, IIRC and didn't complain "too" much. Wonderful trip if you have the time to make a vacation out of it.

Hope that helps.
    Made a similar itinerary with the family in March, 1998. Great trip except for watching the the Devils lose to UK in the regional finals. I believe there was some damage to the hotel room, but I'm taking the 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Planning a trip to Vegas and southern Utah during late September and would like to do a day trip to the Grand Canyon. Any advice on how to go? I've heard there are bus and helicoptor tours leaving from Vegas, with the latter being on the expensive side.

Worth a drive out there on my own?
    If you have the time, recommend taking a day each to see Zion, Bryce, and then driving to the Grand Canyon and taking the Grand Canyon Railway to the north rim.

We went out there in '99 with another couple and rented a car. We flew into Vegas and did Hoover Dam as part of the 2 days we were there. Then we drive to Zion Canyon, Bryce Canyon, the North Rim, Flagstaff, South Rim, Sedona and Phoenix. We even stood on a corner in Winslow, Arizona. We flew home from Phoenix. 10 days and lots of miles, but well worth it.

To me, Bryce Canyon was the best part. Our son was born in 2000 and we named him Bryce. It was that gorgeous there!

Quote Originally Posted by lmb View Post
    We went out there in '99 with another couple and rented a car. We flew into Vegas and did Hoover Dam as part of the 2 days we were there. Then we drive to Zion Canyon, Bryce Canyon, the North Rim, Flagstaff, South Rim, Sedona and Phoenix. We even stood on a corner in Winslow, Arizona. We flew home from Phoenix. 10 days and lots of miles, but well worth it.

To me, Bryce Canyon was the best part. Our son was born in 2000 and we named him Bryce. It was that gorgeous there!
    Great trip and itinerary. Sounds like you were able to Take It Easy:>)).

Great trip and itinerary. Sounds like you were able to Take It Easy:>)).
    Surprisingly, it didn't seem rushed. Of course, that was pre-kids. It would be next to impossible to do that trip with young kids.

Ohhh...I just got your joke! I'm a little sleepy today.

Did you find out the name of the girl in the flat-bed Ford?

Such a fine sight to see
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Surprisingly, it didn't seem rushed. Of course, that was pre-kids. It would be next to impossible to do that trip with young kids.

Ohhh...I just got your joke! I'm a little sleepy today.
    See, it's worthwhile to be slowing down to take a look at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Did you find out the name of the girl in the flat-bed Ford?
    Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Such a fine sight to see
    With these kind of replies, we may lose and we may win, though we will never be here again.

Hit the trails!

Having visited all of the sites mentioned, the most important thing you could do is take some extra time, get out of the car, and do some hiking.

Everyone should hike down...and back up...the Bright Angel Trail at Grand Canyon. It is a full day hike, especially if you go all the way to the river. Otherwise there is a nice open plateau you can traverse for a reasonably close up view of the Colorado River. Remember those four-legged animals have the right of way, so you may need to hug the wall while they pass. Take plenty of water and food...I was there in late September and it was extremely hot below the rim.

Bryce Canyon is one of my all time favorite places, but again take advantage of some of the trails there.

Zion is also up there as the scenery is spectacular.

If you have the benefit of being there while the aspen are at their peak, that is a definite plus!

k

With these kind of replies, we may lose and we may win, though we will never be here again.
    The posters on here never cease to amaze me.

Breaking away from the Eagles lyrics for a moment, there was a mural painted on one of the buildings with the girl in the flat-bed Ford. And a tourist-trap gift shop across the street. Aahh, cheaply made souvenirs!

Just got back from doing this trip: Vegas, rent car, drive to North Rim. We also did the South Rim and flew back from Phoenix.

We did not do Bryce Canyon, but I heard a lot of buzz from others that indicated that many folks do Bryce / North Rim together.

I want to go back, but this time prepared for an overnight hike down into the Canyon, and with time to do Bryce as well.

South Rim probably has better views, but I enjoyed the North Rim much more.

But don't let the sound of your own wheels make you crazy...