The Guard is almost a black comedy, but is a bit too realistic to achieve that characterization. This is an Irish film starring Brendan Gleeson and Don Cheadle. Excellent villain in Mark Strong. Special mention to under-villain ("I'm not a psychopath, I'm a sociopath.") David Wilmot.

The film is built on Gleeson's character, a rural sergeant in the Irish Guard who is either very dumb or very smart. In the beginning, you want to choke him for being so incompetent, possibly corrupt; then you realize there is a method to his madness. He is eventually joined by Don Cheadle--the main reason I chose to see the movie. Cheadle has been assigned to find a boatload of drugs; Gleeson could care less, being primarily concerned with his dying mother (the wonderful Fionnula Flanagan), until events overtake them both.

In addition, there is a short vignette involving two of the cutest prostitutes-cum-policewomen (complete with miniskirts and sexy nylons) ever to be filmed in a murder mystery (which, except for language, could have been rated G, instead of R). (Milkshake headache, anyone?)

The movie moves well, even if you are exasperated with Gleeson or are a bit tuned out by the accents.

I think I had better recommend this movie before I start getting into spoilers. Even though it doesn't quite make it to black comedy status, it is close. Plus, Cheadle is just fine as the straight man--being a serious cop who can't believe the level of non-professionalism displayed by Gleeson.