Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Irene

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I know crews from my part of the country headed out to help restore power on the East Coast. I hope all the crews are able to stay safe and restore utilities as quickly as possible.
    You're right DinK. I've seen Detroit (YAAAAYYYYY!) Edison trucks and SC trucks coming through on their way to beach sites south and north.
    I'm such a dork, I actually roll the windows down and wave at them and give them the thumbs up.
    It's terrific that these crews put up with the travel and long, long hours.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.

Flooding

I think we generally associate hurricane damage as coastal events with flooding the result of tidal surges. The flooding in Vermont hundreds of miles from center of Irene reminds me of an article I read about Hurricane Camille on her 30th anniversary and the devastating flooding in south-central Virginia.

There is a marker along route 29 in Nelson county(between Lynchburg and Charlottesville) that I'd passed dozens and dozens of times but never paid much attention to. Then I read the article describing the flash floods from 27 inches of rain in a matter of hours, the tragic loss of life, and the harrowing stories from some of the survivors. Hard to imagine how a sleepy looking river in a bucolic valley could render such destruction.

Since moving from Coral Gables to Philly., I have over prepared in retrospect each time a hurricane has headed our way(Floyd 1999, Isabel 2003, and now Irene), but the current flooding in norther NJ, Connecticut, and Vermont is a sober reminder of what can happen inland.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Since moving from Coral Gables to Philly., I have over prepared in retrospect each time a hurricane has headed our way(Floyd 1999, Isabel 2003, and now Irene), but the current flooding in norther NJ, Connecticut, and Vermont is a sober reminder of what can happen inland.
    But you were safe in The Gables. They passed an ordinance that forbids hurricanes within the city limits.

Recent N&O pictures from the North Carolina coast

Major damage and especially to Rt. 12 on the Outer Banks.

I don't know what can realistically be done for that fragile road that would not be subject to another problem in a few months or years.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    IreneSign.jpg

Passed this on hwy 70 today outside of Havelock. The person's spelling sucks too, but still funny as hell.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    IreneSign.jpg

Passed this on hwy 70 today outside of Havelock. The person's spelling sucks too, but still funny as hell.
    I thought surely I'd find this picture on Facebook... Maybe later?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I thought surely I'd find this picture on Facebook... Maybe later?
    I posted it as soon as I took it..lol.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."