Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Captains next year?

This was brought up on another forum... who do you think will be tabbed as captains next year? We don't have a lot of guys who seem to fit that role "naturally." Does Miles get a captaincy? He doesn't seem like the assertive type who totally fits that role. Does Seth? Yeah, he has only played one full year at Duke, but he was on the team during the title year, he played with Jon and Nolan and Kyle, and he clearly has a host of potential? Is there anyone else who would even be in the running?

One of the more puzzling captain discussions I can recall.

Great point. But, I think it's Miles alone. He looked pretty good in the stretch and there were flashes. Might be a tough summer for him, training wise but I think my money's on him.

I would have to think Miles will definitely be a captain. I don't know if they will have more than one but if they do, I guess Miles and Curry?

Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    I would have to think Miles will definitely be a captain. I don't know if they will have more than one but if they do, I guess Miles and Curry?
    I'm with you. Seth showed this year he was ready to lead. Academically he's a senior, so who knows if he'll be back after the year anyway. Seth and miles is my vote.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 04-07-2011 at 07:23 AM. Reason: fixed typo
    1200. DDMF.

Miles and Seth.

I know he's a year away, but I would consider Andre also. The emotion he brings is unique, and it would be a great way for K to reward Andre, especially if it looks like Andre will be the 6th man based on personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by diveonthefloor View Post
    Miles and Seth.

I know he's a year away, but I would consider Andre also. The emotion he brings is unique, and it would be a great way for K to reward Andre, especially if it looks like Andre will be the 6th man based on personnel.
    Judging by the apparent amount of time andre has spent in the doghouse over the past two years, I don't think he will earn the captaincy this year.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Judging by the apparent amount of time andre has spent in the doghouse over the past two years, I don't think he will earn the captaincy this year.
    I won't touch the doghouse comment, but I think that someone who has such wide emotional swings isn't suited to be a team captain.

I'm with you. Seth showed this year he was ready to leave. Academically he's a senior, so who knows if he'll be back after the year anyway. Seth and miles is my vote.
    Paging Dr. Freud! Dr. Freud, to the Elizabeth King forum!

I would hesitate to put Dre in the captaincy... I think it would be much more of a "growing" role for him than a "he is, at this moment, ready for this" position, and I don't know if that will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Paging Dr. Freud! Dr. Freud, to the Elizabeth King forum!

I would hesitate to put Dre in the captaincy... I think it would be much more of a "growing" role for him than a "he is, at this moment, ready for this" position, and I don't know if that will happen.
    Hahaha. Good call. Obvsiouly I meant lead, but what was running through my head was that this will be seth's 4th year of college, so he may well graduate and LEAVE the program despite his continued eligibility. He will likely be ready both athletically and academically.
    1200. DDMF.

Tough call!

I think Seth would be an excellent captain. I agree that Dre has not yet displayed the leadership and consistency necessary for that role. My comments on Miles depend on who makes the decisions... do the players vote or does K select?
    DukeDevilDeb

Talking Captain's Choice

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    I think Seth would be an excellent captain. I agree that Dre has not yet displayed the leadership and consistency necessary for that role. My comments on Miles depend on who makes the decisions... do the players vote or does K select?
    Uh, who promotes lieutenants to captains in the Army? It ain't the sergeants and the other lieutenants. K chooses the captains, occasionally adding one during the season.

Maybe Miles and Seth?

sagegrouse

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I think it will be 2 of (Miles, Ryan, Seth, Mason). Surprised no one else mentioned Ryan. I am torn actually. I could see K going with Seth & Ryan, or Miles & Seth, or Seth & Mason,. I don't think K would go with Miles & Mason, but any of the other combinations between the 4 players would not surprise me.

Do not see Andre being a Captain this year, but could see him in that role as a Senior.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    I think it will be 2 of (Miles, Ryan, Seth, Mason). Surprised no one else mentioned Ryan. I am torn actually. I could see K going with Seth & Ryan, or Miles & Seth, or Seth & Mason,. I don't think K would go with Miles & Mason, but any of the other combinations between the 4 players would not surprise me.

Do not see Andre being a Captain this year, but could see him in that role as a Senior.
    I just haven't seen the leadership out of ryan to consider him a captain. K said several years ago that he strongly preferred senior captains, though they do happen. I just don't see anything special either in play or leadership that would warrant ryan or mason being captain. I only promote seth since he was a huge factor in our success after kyrie went out (and I think his going out against arizona sealed our fate). This coupled with the good chance that this will be his last year in the program (as he is academically a senior) makes me think he's captain material.
    1200. DDMF.

Well, Miles is already captain of the Plumlee family, which is something like 48.5% of the roster, so I think he is a good choice. Seth strikes me as a leader too, and he is older given his year off, so I think he might get to be a captain as well.

(All math in this post is approximate!)

I just haven't seen the leadership out of ryan to consider him a captain. K said several years ago that he strongly preferred senior captains, though they do happen. I just don't see anything special either in play or leadership that would warrant ryan or mason being captain. I only promote seth since he was a huge factor in our success after kyrie went out (and I think his going out against arizona sealed our fate). This coupled with the good chance that this will be his last year in the program (as he is academically a senior) makes me think he's captain material.
    He prefers Seniors, agree there. Problem is Miles is the only Senior. We actually had a Soph captain in 07. This is just going to be one of those lean years in terms of Seniors. If I had to bet on it right now, I would say K picks Seth and Miles. There just aren't any candidates that really jump out at you and scream "he's definitely a captain" with this group. In fairness though, that is not to say that 2 of the 4 can't end up being good leaders/captains. They may surprise us.

On another note, I don't see next year being Seth's last year. I feel he will use all of his eligibility. Given it is unlikely Seth would be a lottery pick, there is really no incentive to bypass his Senior Year at Duke. I think he stays.

Don't forget Tyler. He's tough as nails and a natural leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Don't forget Tyler. He's tough as nails and a natural leader.
    One year too early for Tyler. Agree totally with your thoughts on him, and I feel he is leadership material no doubt and will grow into a great leader at Duke. However, K also prefer's that the captains be guys that see a lot of playing time. I think Tyler will get decent PT this year, but, I think it will be his Junior year before he sees PT in the 20-30 minute range, which is what I feel K would want from a Captain.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    He prefers Seniors, agree there. Problem is Miles is the only Senior. We actually had a Soph captain in 07. This is just going to be one of those lean years in terms of Seniors. If I had to bet on it right now, I would say K picks Seth and Miles. There just aren't any candidates that really jump out at you and scream "he's definitely a captain" with this group. In fairness though, that is not to say that 2 of the 4 can't end up being good leaders/captains. They may surprise us.

On another note, I don't see next year being Seth's last year. I feel he will use all of his eligibility. Given it is unlikely Seth would be a lottery pick, there is really no incentive to bypass his Senior Year at Duke. I think he stays.
    Next year will be Seth's 4th year of college...remember he did his freshman year at Liberty. He's now a rising senior, academically, with two years left of eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighfan View Post
    Next year will be Seth's 4th year of college...remember he did his freshman year at Liberty. He's now a rising senior, academically, with two years left of eligibility.
    Yeah, I understand that. Uh No feels that Seth will play next season at Duke and then declare for the draft. I was stating that I feel Seth will play 2 more years at Duke, using all of his eligibility. I do not feel Seth will be a lottery pick after next season, and I expect because of that, he likely comes back and plays that final season at Duke.

He may prove me wrong, which is fine. Just how I see it as of right now.

I really don't think this will be Seth's last year in the program. The kid transferred to the ACC and Duke for a reason. Unless his is projected to go highly in the NBA draft, which he is not right now, I cannot see any way that he just graduates and then attempts to play in Europe or on a summer league team. The kid would have a chance to make another run at a national title and increase his stock or just graduate, no way he just graduates (we are not talking about Marty Pocius here, no knock on him)