Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    What evidence do you have that we did not "do everything we could to keep her"?
    Yeah! And has it occurred to anyone that the school you recruit for may be just as important as who you are? Duke would seem to be a great place for any recruit with a mind toward post-college employment AND great basketball tradition, maybe the best of both worlds. Post-grad basketball probably doesn't resonate with female recruits like it does for the men.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueNikeShox View Post
    Judging by her personal twitter page, she seems to be very petulant, tacky, and lacks professionalism. For starters, whatever problems you have at the workplace or with your boss, you don't air it on a public forum for the world to see. It shows that you lack loyalty and respect for your university that you are representing. If I'm a coach or a parent, I would really look at this and say: "Is this who I want to hire? Is she going to treat me the same way if things go bad here?!" Coach P has done no better by engaging in the banter.

There's no doubt that Sylvia is hoping to get a 2-for-1 deal w/ TSO's niece, 6'7" Imani Stafford (who is also the sister of Javele McGhee and daughter of Pam McGhee)...
    Where have you seen Coach P "engaging in the banter" with Stafford-Odom? The press accounts of Stafford-Odom leaving have had "no comment" from Duke, and Coach P's twitter has had no mention of S-O or any controversy in the last month, at least that I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Where have you seen Coach P "engaging in the banter" with Stafford-Odom? The press accounts of Stafford-Odom leaving have had "no comment" from Duke, and Coach P's twitter has had no mention of S-O or any controversy in the last month, at least that I can find.
    I wondered at that as well, I would think Coach P would be above the "banter." But to me, the "no comment" speaks volumes. I would have expected some sort of recognition for what she has done for the program and best wishes in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I wondered at that as well, I would think Coach P would be above the "banter." But to me, the "no comment" speaks volumes. I would have expected some sort of recognition for what she has done for the program and best wishes in the future.
    I agree--but if things really did end badly (which it appears they may have), having no comment may be an appropriate response (even if not the "best" response), where exchanging snarky comments would not be.

I noticed a couple of tweets from Stafford-Odom within the last day or two in which she complained about not being allowed to greet her current recruiting class at Duke (I think the freshmen arrived yesterday). I don't have any insight into what usually happens in college basketball coaching, but it would seem to me that if you had already accepted a job at your school's arch rival, it wouldn't necessarily be customary for the school to make sure you were incorporated in plans for welcoming the new freshmen, even if you had been the point person on recruiting them. Am I wrong on this?

McFinARL says:

"I noticed a couple of tweets from Stafford-Odom within the last day or two in which she complained about not being allowed to greet her current recruiting class at Duke (I think the freshmen arrived yesterday)."

Why would a UNC coach be given a chance to greet Duke's incoming freshmen? This is laughable, no matter who TSO was. She forfeited that stuff. And besides, it was never her class. Those talented young student-athletes chose to be Blue Devils, not TSOdomites!!!!!!!!!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

My two bits

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    I agree--but if things really did end badly (which it appears they may have), having no comment may be an appropriate response (even if not the "best" response), where exchanging snarky comments would not be.

I noticed a couple of tweets from Stafford-Odom within the last day or two in which she complained about not being allowed to greet her current recruiting class at Duke (I think the freshmen arrived yesterday). I don't have any insight into what usually happens in college basketball coaching, but it would seem to me that if you had already accepted a job at your school's arch rival, it wouldn't necessarily be customary for the school to make sure you were incorporated in plans for welcoming the new freshmen, even if you had been the point person on recruiting them. Am I wrong on this?
    I don't have all the facts (in reality I have none), but it is a shame that several relationships appear to have ended badly in WBB, including Emily Waner and one recruit whose scholarship was withdrawn. Maybe it's all coincidence or misunderstanding, but it's truly unfortunate that it has occurred with a player, a recruit, and now a coach.

Her tweets complain twice that she wasn't "ALLOWED" to see them, which seems over the top on her part. I'm sure Coach P didn't get a restraining order and I don't think that campus police were on the lookout, not to mention that they are all a phone call away. The last thing you want is an opposing coach to visit a player and say, "Well, if you ever want to talk or if there is anything I can ever help you with..." No matter what, if you go to a rival, there will be consequences and that can't be a surprise to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    I don't have all the facts (in reality I have none), but it is a shame that several relationships appear to have ended badly in WBB, including Emily Waner and one recruit whose scholarship was withdrawn. Maybe it's all coincidence or misunderstanding, but it's truly unfortunate that it has occurred with a player, a recruit, and now a coach.

Her tweets complain twice that she wasn't "ALLOWED" to see them, which seems over the top on her part. I'm sure Coach P didn't get a restraining order and I don't think that campus police were on the lookout, not to mention that they are all a phone call away. The last thing you want is an opposing coach to visit a player and say, "Well, if you ever want to talk or if there is anything I can ever help you with..." No matter what, if you go to a rival, there will be consequences and that can't be a surprise to anyone.
    Yes, and why is she surprised? I am disappointed to lose one of the best recruiters in the country, but you go to our rivals and then are surprised when you are told not to interact with the freshmen? Come on.

Carolina will always have to wonder... ,knowing how they got TSO, that she's capable of such behavior, ... will she eventually "do it" to the Baby Blue someday...?

I'd watch her closely.

When Goestenkors was on top of the world at Duke, undefeated, just lost in OT in the national final, brought in 4 straight #1 classes, I became more of a WBB fan than even MBB. Duke MBB was having problems in the sweet 16s but had won 3 titles already. WBB had yet to win it all but just seemed so first class in every way. G would often double up other ACC teams in final score, rebounds, shooting percentage, assists, while forcing twice as many turnovers, fouls, etc. It was just a beautiful game on both ends of the court, fast breaks, inside, outside, offense, defense. Now it's hard to watch Duke WBB. What could McCallie have done with 4 straight #1 classes, guess we'll never know? I guess if we won national titles seemingly every year, we'd be UNC or Stanford. Did anybody else become more of a fan of Duke WBB than MBB at any time? Just when I get excited about WBB an amazing coach leaves for a worse program, why?

Quote Originally Posted by laxbluedevil View Post
    Just when I get excited about WBB an amazing coach leaves for a worse program, why?
    $$$$$$$
    1200. DDMF.

Texas is not a worse WBB Program.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

When Goestenkors was on top of the world at Duke, undefeated, just lost in OT in the national final, brought in 4 straight #1 classes, I became more of a WBB fan than even MBB. Duke MBB was having problems in the sweet 16s but had won 3 titles already. WBB had yet to win it all but just seemed so first class in every way. G would often double up other ACC teams in final score, rebounds, shooting percentage, assists, while forcing twice as many turnovers, fouls, etc. It was just a beautiful game on both ends of the court, fast breaks, inside, outside, offense, defense. Now it's hard to watch Duke WBB. What could McCallie have done with 4 straight #1 classes, guess we'll never know? I guess if we won national titles seemingly every year, we'd be UNC or Stanford. Did anybody else become more of a fan of Duke WBB than MBB at any time? Just when I get excited about WBB an amazing coach leaves for a worse program, why?
    I have to admit it's hard to watch Duke WBB in it's current state. Too many missed layups, bad ball handling and not much end to end play on offense. I have no problem with the defense and rebounding. We have that part of the game down, but offense is another story. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    $$$$$$$
    No offense, but you really do not know what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by JG Nothing View Post
    Please enlighten us.

Quote Originally Posted by JG Nothing View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN
    The night Conradt retired, Texas officials made it clear they would be willing to pay for a top-notch coach. Conradt earned $550,000 a year. While Goestenkors' salary at Duke is not a public record, it was believed the private school wasn't likely to match a high offer from the Longhorns.
    Hope that cleared things up....but I guess I don't know what I'm talking about.
    1200. DDMF.

I guess if we won national titles seemingly every year, we'd be UNC or Stanford.
    As far as I'm aware, UNC has won a total of one (1) national title in women's basketball, in 1994. Stanford has won two (2), but none (0) since their last title in 1992. So what are you talking about?

Did anybody else become more of a fan of Duke WBB than MBB at any time? Just when I get excited about WBB an amazing coach leaves for a worse program, why?
    Since when is it a competition for which Duke program we like best? Personally, I think the answer is if you're a fan, you're a fan, and you may not like everything that happens to the program but you have to deal with it and root for your team. If you stop rooting for a program because the team has "problems in the Sweet 16" or because your favorite coach leaves the team, then perhaps you ought to question whether you're truly a fan, or whether you're only a fan when things are going well?

Just my opinion, of course.

Did anybody else become more of a fan of Duke WBB than MBB at any time?
    In a word, No!
    Bob Green

Did anybody else become more of a fan of Duke WBB than MBB at any time?
    I am a fan of DUKE
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    $$$$$$$
    http://www.tigerrag.com/wp-content/u...eva_joe_ad.jpg
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa