Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39
  1. #1

    WBB - Losing T S-O and other top-level talent

    So the rumors about Trish Stafford-Odom turned out to be true. While the article on the front page claims "we never liked her anyway," the fact is that she brought premier talent to Duke over the past couple of years. Also, we lost another recruiter to Louisville. I am very concerned about this loss of top-level talent and the future of the program. As far as I could tell, recruitment - along with defense - was our strength, not Coach P's in-game play calling.

    Also, going over to your rival is obviously making a statement that things did not end well. I am wondering if anyone has any insight into why we are losing good people, and losing them in a very bad way.

  2. #2
    Looks like some non-compete clauses might be in order for new hires...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post
    Looks like some non-compete clauses might be in order for new hires...
    Pretty sure that is extremely rare in coaching. Maybe the solutuon would be to figure out what is making our assistants want to leave.

  4. #4

    Good question

    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Pretty sure that is extremely rare in coaching. Maybe the solution would be to figure out what is making our assistants want to leave.
    The whole thing is a bit strange, but I don't know if this is a trend or if the two of them had individual reasons for leaving. I'm not sure if the we never liked her comment is ironic or if there is something behind it, but for all I know they offered TSO a big raise or she couldn't pass up the offer to work with someone as charming as Sylvia.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Pretty sure that is extremely rare in coaching. Maybe the solutuon would be to figure out what is making our assistants want to leave.

    True, It wasn't clear, I was suggesting a non-compete clause would at least be appropriate within the conference. I don't think it's very ethical to go over to your biggest rival. Once again...follow the money.

    Carolina's ethics as of late are certainly not exactly an example of what's to be desired in college sports. They'll do anything and hire anyone...

    hud

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    I have heard some hints from people that Coach McCallie is hard to work for. I certainly don't want to hear from anyone who still harbors a resentment because Duke "let go" Coach Goestenkors. She left of her own accord. And it wasn't her fault Duke didn't hire an ex-Dukie as coach, either.

    But, yes, I would like to know why Odom was unliked by many here. Attitude problem? Poisonous personality causing discontent within the program? Too tall? After all, she's certainly turned into an ogre now.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    The whole thing is a bit strange, but I don't know if this is a trend or if the two of them had individual reasons for leaving. I'm not sure if the we never liked her comment is ironic or if there is something behind it, but for all I know they offered TSO a big raise or she couldn't pass up the offer to work with someone as charming as Sylvia.
    I have no doubt it was ironic and probably based on the fact that she is going to UNC. I am also pretty sure that there would be much more outrage if it were Wojo or Collins defecting, and people would demand to know what was going on behind the scenes. T S-O was the best recruiter we had and gave me hope for the future of this team. I would not be surprised to see a power shift toward the hideous, light colored blue in the next 2-3 years.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roxboro, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post
    I have no doubt it was ironic and probably based on the fact that she is going to UNC. I am also pretty sure that there would be much more outrage if it were Wojo or Collins defecting, and people would demand to know what was going on behind the scenes. T S-O was the best recruiter we had and gave me hope for the future of this team. I would not be surprised to see a power shift toward the hideous, light colored blue in the next 2-3 years.
    I doubt it would happen within 2-3 years. Duke just brought in 2 great recruiting classes and have a pretty good start to the 2012 class. Unless Elizabeth Williams turns out to be 1-and-done, Duke should be pretty comfortable for the next 3 years or so.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    matthews nc

    Women's assistant coach going to Chapel Hill?????????

    What's up with this? Why would a great recruiter want to go from Duke to work with Sylvia Hatchell?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    The whole thing is a bit strange, but I don't know if this is a trend or if the two of them had individual reasons for leaving. I'm not sure if the we never liked her comment is ironic or if there is something behind it, but for all I know they offered TSO a big raise or she couldn't pass up the offer to work with someone as charming as Sylvia.
    Don't overlook Sylvia's sartorial splendor either.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I have heard some hints from people that Coach McCallie is hard to work for. I certainly don't want to hear from anyone who still harbors a resentment because Duke "let go" Coach Goestenkors. She left of her own accord. And it wasn't her fault Duke didn't hire an ex-Dukie as coach, either.

    But, yes, I would like to know why Odom was unliked by many here. Attitude problem? Poisonous personality causing discontent within the program? Too tall? After all, she's certainly turned into an ogre now.
    Judging by her personal twitter page, she seems to be very petulant, tacky, and lacks professionalism. For starters, whatever problems you have at the workplace or with your boss, you don't air it on a public forum for the world to see. It shows that you lack loyalty and respect for your university that you are representing. If I'm a coach or a parent, I would really look at this and say: "Is this who I want to hire? Is she going to treat me the same way if things go bad here?!" Coach P has done no better by engaging in the banter.

    There's no doubt that Sylvia is hoping to get a 2-for-1 deal w/ TSO's niece, 6'7" Imani Stafford (who is also the sister of Javele McGhee and daughter of Pam McGhee)...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    lives near a number of big white buildings
    If the Duke community is puzzled (and someone anxious) about what's going on with the WBB, how can it be expected that potential recruits in the future won't feel even more puzzled and uneasy?

    I think whatever problems the program has--if any--need to be identified and addressed now not later.

    One quick way to pretty much cut the legs off the speculation about TSO, why she left, what the impact will be, etc. ... might be to expeditiously hire someone as a senior assistant with a GREAT record for recruiting.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartDevil View Post
    If the Duke community is puzzled (and someone anxious) about what's going on with the WBB, how can it be expected that potential recruits in the future won't feel even more puzzled and uneasy?

    I think whatever problems the program has--if any--need to be identified and addressed now not later.

    One quick way to pretty much cut the legs off the speculation about TSO, why she left, what the impact will be, etc. ... might be to expeditiously hire someone as a senior assistant with a GREAT record for recruiting.
    According to the Herald-Sun article linked in the article on the front page, she hired an assistant from Wake Forest who used to work with her, I think at MSU. Not impressed.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Honestly, I think the "we never her liked her much comment" is completely classless. She literally changed the face of our recruiting from the moment she got to Durham, and did a great job landing some incredible classes. Hopefully, building on what she started, we can continue the recruiting success. But if those with short memories will look back before her arrival, Coach P's detractors biggest complaint was recruiting ability.
    As far as her going to the heels, that's completely classless too. But I loved having TSO in Durham.
    Mmmm, BBQ!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Honestly, I think the "we never her liked her much comment" is completely classless. She literally changed the face of our recruiting from the moment she got to Durham, and did a great job landing some incredible classes. Hopefully, building on what she started, we can continue the recruiting success. But if those with short memories will look back before her arrival, Coach P's detractors biggest complaint was recruiting ability.
    As far as her going to the heels, that's completely classless too. But I loved having TSO in Durham.
    CB&B,

    Completely agree. I just don't think there are that many recruiters like her out there. She out recruited Pat Summitt for Eliz Williams and a point guard for 2013 - forget her name, but we just got a verbal from her. Let's see if she sticks to that verbal.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    lives near a number of big white buildings
    Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post
    According to the Herald-Sun article linked in the article on the front page, she hired an assistant from Wake Forest who used to work with her, I think at MSU. Not impressed.
    Wel, I'm not sure that shows very good judgment by P and her supervisors in the administration.

    If we're "concerned" that it wasn't the right thing for UNC to hire one of our staff, why did we turn around and do the same thing with conference rival Wake Forest. At the least this is a public relations blunder whether the new recruiter is extremely talented or not.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartDevil View Post
    Wel, I'm not sure that shows very good judgment by P and her supervisors in the administration.

    If we're "concerned" that it wasn't the right thing for UNC to hire one of our staff, why did we turn around and do the same thing with conference rival Wake Forest. At the least this is a public relations blunder whether the new recruiter is extremely talented or not.
    I'm less concerned with what UNC did. Who knows, maybe TSO approached them. I want to know why we didn't do everything we could to keep her.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post
    According to the Herald-Sun article linked in the article on the front page, she hired an assistant from Wake Forest who used to work with her, I think at MSU. Not impressed.
    Candace Jackson was hired from Wake Forest to replace Samantha Williams, who left Duke in May to become an assistant at Louisville. I don't believe Duke has hired anyone yet to replace Stafford-Odom.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post
    I'm less concerned with what UNC did. Who knows, maybe TSO approached them. I want to know why we didn't do everything we could to keep her.
    What evidence do you have that we did not "do everything we could to keep her"?

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    I doubt it would happen within 2-3 years. Duke just brought in 2 great recruiting classes and have a pretty good start to the 2012 class. Unless Elizabeth Williams turns out to be 1-and-done, Duke should be pretty comfortable for the next 3 years or so.
    Early entry isn't a serious concern - it's not even possible for the WNBA - but transfers and decommitments are always a possibility.

Similar Threads

  1. Ukraine has talent
    By Jim3k in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 05:32 PM
  2. MBB Rankings by NBA Talent
    By ice-9 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-18-2008, 01:40 PM
  3. NBA talent
    By DukieInBrasil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-28-2008, 12:23 AM
  4. Who has most returning ACC Talent?
    By ACCBBallFan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-15-2007, 09:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •