Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Earthquake!

It was rockin' and rolling here, about 50 miles from the epicenter.
    Lots of broken stuff off shelves and all the pictures askew on walls.
    Quite a long and amped cocktail hour last night!

Earthquakes, hurricanes and Justin Verlander...Forces of Nature!!!!

Let's count our blessings

I grew up in Christchurch, New Zealand, and have been trying to find out how relatives there are. Yesterday's event here produced the following from my stepsister. The linked photos are horrendous.Let's count our blessings!
    "Dear David

We are still alive and ticking, but exhausted. This web site will show the reason why!! The earthquake today in your part of the world was certainly a surprise, they are not very pleasant events, even when the damage is minimal.

Look at the link below, how much of the city centre do you recognise? Not much. We fear virtually the whole of the city centre is broken. It is a miracle more people were not killed. As we walk on the perimeter of the "Red Zone" and peer in, we wonder how everyone managed to escape.

We have had over 8,000 shakes since September 4 and over 30 above 5 on the richter scale and 3 over 6. The February one this year has put us out of our apartment, we have had 4moves from friends, family(GP) and town house and now a flat in Harakeke St Riccarton, where we hope to stay until we find out what is happening.

The land that our apartment sits on is in the Orange Zone, which means it has yet to be assessed as to whether it is safe to stay there. It is on the river as you know, and that has risks of lateral expansion and liquifaction connected to that. They say they will get to us in about 4months time. We are not holding our breath. If the land is zoned green, we can begin the insurance work, and start to repair the building firstly and then the apartments. So, we have quite a bit in front of us. If the land is zoned red, we get a G.V. payout, and move.

It is amazing the ingenuity of the people here. Little businesses are springing up in the most unlikely places, people are setting up restaurants, cafes and shops in the suburbs and new commercial areas, all the lawyers and accountants are out of the city highrise, and in buildings all around the city.

Sumner and the hills of Cifton, Mt. Pleasant, etc around to even Cashmere have been severely hit. The ends of the bluffs on those hills, especially on the seaside hills were blown off, houses fell down, and the cliffs crumbled. Huge rocks the size of cars came bounding down the slopes killing people and flattening houses below, and causing terrible damage.

I think everyone is fairly traumatised, we have learnt to live with these aftershocks which at times are terrifying, but are settling down a bit. However on June 13 we had another huge quake. The February quake is the greatest vertical force a city in the world has experienced. Apparently our apartment and central city buildings rose into the air, some 2metres and at 1½times the "G" force, and came down twice the "G" force. Both Grantley and I were in our apartment at that time and as the ferocity of the quake increased and our building was screaming, twisting, swinging and bucking, we seriously thought we were going to perish. That is the quake that took down the CTV building killing over 100 people, and the Pyne Gould Guinnes Building where 17 perished.

We are all fine, safe and well, but perhaps you can understand our lack of communication"

https://picasaweb.google.com/RossBec...64731880566066

You would never have known an earthquake had hit by the looks of my condo in Arlington. Nothing askew. Our complex is built on such soft earth that we have had several settling problems in and around units, so there probably is not enough bedrock underneath for the condos to shake as much as other buildings did. That said, the dog walker reported my little foster was somewhat put out by the experience. The other dogs, not so much.

Just for the record, reporting in from North Carolina's Golf Country down here in Southern Pines, and Pinehurst. We often have shaking earth around here. It comes from the artillery range at Fort Bragg. In the afternoon, I was watching TV (us retired folks get to do that a lot) when I thought I felt some artillery vibrations, but I didn't hear anything. Then I heard the windows rattling, and I stepped out on the deck. First thing I noticed was the total silence. There's always birds making a pleasant racket, but not then. It was a puzzlement. The next phenomenon was Mrs. Jarhead calling for me to report to her computer desk. She was on facebook, the only way we can keep up with our grandchildren, and their chatter was all about an earthquake. The time on the clock was 1:58 PM. Mrs. Jarhead did not feel or hear a thing. End of report.

I was leaving Fayetteville, headed back to Wilmington. Didn't feel it.

Question: if you're driving, and it's a 5.8 .. would you feel it driving ?

My cell blew up with calls,, but I didn't feel a thing driving

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    I was leaving Fayetteville, headed back to Wilmington. Didn't feel it.

Question: if you're driving, and it's a 5.8 .. would you feel it driving ?

My cell blew up with calls,, but I didn't feel a thing driving
    Not all the way in Fayetteville you wouldn't, it wouldn't have felt like a 5.8 that far out.

The quake lasted between 20 and 30 seconds here in Rougemont, NC. Long enough for me to step outside of my home and then quickly return indoors. Inside the quake was clearly audible but outside the silence was remarkable. Absent time for a more critical analysis my brain raced through the possible causes for the noise as the quake began--A/C in the attic? No. Fridge, dishwasher, W/D or my manic wife destroying her Wii competition? Nope. Attic timbers creaking in response to a passing vehicle? None of the familiar noises a wood-frame house in a quiet country setting would make. Apparently my home functioned something like a megaphone, directing and amplying the lower frequencies generated by the quake to audible human levels. A truly simple explanation in retrospect now some 30 hours later but having never experience a quake before, a Eureka moment and quite phenomenal at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Interesting tangent to this: information travels faster than seismic waves. Anyone else hear about it via facebook, twitter, etc before feeling it?
    This happened to me, I was on Twitter when I saw someone in DC saying they were having an earthquake. That instant I felt the earthquake. Oddly enough, its probably the only reason I knew what I was feeling. The next few seconds there were tweets up and down the east coast reporting feeling the earthquake. It was quite fascinating to experience twitter at the exact moment of the earthquake.

Minutes later twitter turned into joke after joke which was also quite funny.

Anyone else just feel an aftershock, or am I imagining things?

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Well, another DC friend just posted on FB that one woke her up; the USGS would agree: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...usc0005jg1.php

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Didn't feel a thing being all snug in my bed sound asleep. The dogs did not either. Glad of that. Them waking me up at 4:30 was bad enough.